Question for Bama fans
Thanks Thanks:  0 Dislike Dislike:  0 Roll Tide! Roll Tide!:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

Question for Bama fans

Especially for those of you who, like me, have been life-long Bama fans....born into died-in-the-wool Crimson Tide families with solid allegiance to the Capstone. Do any of you have any other college teams/programs that you follow closely and take a real interest in besides Alabama? If so, what are they and is there a reason for it?

I became a fan of Vanderbilt back in the early/mid 70's when Steve Sloan began coaching there. They quickly became my 2nd favorite team, and remained so over the years. Some of the reason may also be a bit like the reason so many are fans of the Chicago Cubs throughout the past several decades, due to their perennial underdog status. The service academies, especially Army, are also favorites. The sparsity of games against Alabama between these schools is probably another factor in their maintaining a favored status. To a lesser degree, I have always had a favorite or two in each conference that I would prefer to see win over others in that conference. What say you?

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team Ledsteplin's Avatar

Re: Question for Bama fans

The University of North Alabama Lions. I grew up in Florence, attending many games. It's my Alma Mater.
    I have a mild soft spot for those Ramblin' Wrecks over in Georgia. My cousin played for them back in the 60s.

BamaNation Second Team CoachInWaiting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    The University of North Alabama Lions. I grew up in Florence, attending many games. It's my Alma Mater.
    I have a mild soft spot for those Ramblin' Wrecks over in Georgia. My cousin played for them back in the 60s.
    Thanks for that reply. It's always interesting to me to know where and why others share their fan support. In a side note, if I listed the teams that give me a chuckle when they lose, Tech would be right behind awbarn. The animosity of their fans against Alabama in the 60's has never set well with me, and I guess it never will.

BamaNation Third Team

Like most Alabama fans, I always liked Penn State and pulled for them unless of course they were playing us. I was heartbroken about how Joe's career ended. I am anxious, not eager but anxious, to see what that mini-series on Paterno, played by Pacino, is going to look like. I still pull for Penn State. We have a great relationship with them; and they have the second-best uniforms in the game IMO.

BamaNation Second Team

I know this may sound downright crazy, but when I moved up to Tennessee in the mid 80's I thought about adopting the Viles as my second team. But after meeting many, many, obnoxious orange nut jobs I quickly changed my mind. Remember this was before fat phil screwed over Johnny Majors. IMO fat phil changed UT from a fellow SEC team to our second biggest rival after Awbern.

BamaNation Hall of Fame deliveryman35's Avatar

Oklahoma.
    "Football is a hard game. These spread coaches forget that. Until good defenses remind them." Gene Stallings

BamaNation Hall of Fame rolltide_21's Avatar

Mississippi State- closest campus to my hometown in AL. We had a few kids play football & basketball there. Lots of MSU fans where I grew up (after Bama & AU) so I grew up following them but not necessarily rooting for them. Frankly, Iíve always kinda felt sorry bully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation First Team

I like the Wyoming Cowboys. Love that state. I like ALL the states up in that area. I have a new favorite 3rd team. Utah St. Great folks up that way, and I enjoy their playing style. I also follow the Air Force Falcons pretty closely. Love the production from the players they recruit. Complete dedication. But I would have to say Wyoming would be #2! Go Cowboys!

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View View Post
    I know this may sound downright crazy, but when I moved up to Tennessee in the mid 80's I thought about adopting the Viles as my second team. But after meeting many, many, obnoxious orange nut jobs I quickly changed my mind. Remember this was before fat phil screwed over Johnny Majors. IMO fat phil changed UT from a fellow SEC team to our second biggest rival after Awbern.
    I have quite a few very good friends who are dedicated Big Orange fans, and they understand that not everyone is. When UT wins...I feel great for them. When UT loses....I feel even greater for the rest of that crowd whom you can't even have a conversation with.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ledsteplin View Post
    Glad to see UNA joined FCS. My wife is a Jax State grad and we go to most of their games. Nice to see the rivalry start back up next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

I halfway adopt a team when I live in a different state and try to watch them some. Out here it's the Cal Golden Bears and Oregon St Beavers. Otherwise I just enjoy college football and watch the games that are compelling to me. I also root for whomever is playing UTe, ND, and AU.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

No.

BamaNation Second Team

Wake Forest and UVA. My two alma maters. But the Tide is numero uno!