Link: Proposal to let athletes transfer instantly after a coaching change picks up steam

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree with Bill, no transfers to a program on your next year’s schedule. There should also be some limit to numbers allowed to transfer in any calendar year. Overall, I am not a fan of this proposal.

BamaPokerplayer

All-American
Oct 10, 2004
The big problem I see with this is, too many players could leave at once and really damage a university’s ability to compete for the next 1-5 years.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I can get behind this. Look at a guy like Collin Peak that only played one year at Alabama because Paul Johnson told him Georgia Tech wouldn't use a TE like him.
Me too. Colin Peek was royally screwed, Paul Johnson even said TE didn't exist in his system anymore and the NCAA basically told him "so what?". Total shame.

And boy do I miss Peek!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
NC2A would have to allow additional scholarships to teams that lost players if they implement this OR else a team could be stripped of enough players to compete.

For instance, if 10 players leave they'd have to allow them to sign 35 the next recruiting cycle.
Or maybe some kind of academic kicker, where if you are so high in GPA you go to the front of the line and maybe have a limit like was mentioned as well.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
At the very least they need to implement a rule that a player transferring in the same year their coach left the program, cannot immediately transfer to the program in which the outgoing coach went. If Nick Saban decides to go to Texas, the entire Alabama team couldn't transfer with him in the same academic/football year.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Reading the proposal, I see a loophole for schools who want to get rid of their coach and keep the players. It doesn't say the player can transfer if the coach passes away. So to you AD's out there looking to make a change, make it look like an accident. :wink:

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
I agree with Bill, no transfers to a program on your next year’s schedule. There should also be some limit to numbers allowed to transfer in any calendar year. Overall, I am not a fan of this proposal.
Really, numbers limited, imagine about 5-6 years ago you are playing for Penn State, and then...

Bama_N_Va

1st Team
Aug 16, 2017
Reading the proposal, I see a loophole for schools who want to get rid of their coach and keep the players. It doesn't say the player can transfer if the coach passes away. So to you AD's out there looking to make a change, make it look like an accident. :wink:
:p_lol::p_lol::p_lol::p_lol::p_lol::p_lol::p_lol::p_lol:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe I could get behind letting guys with only one year of remaining eligibility do this because they can't follow the normal transfer path. Besides them, no way. Too impossible to control the unlimited chaos.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
There are unintended consequences to more widespread free agency in college football. Roster turnover diminishes the quality of the product on the field in many cases, stunting player development and team chemistry. More players on the open market means more "funny business" in recruiting that the NCAA can fail to police even more than it does now.

That not to say there isn't a fairness issue for the players that needs to be addressed. But the root of the fairness issue is not coaches coming and going; it is that the players are the only ones not getting wealthy under this system.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Another point to make - the argument that these student-athletes deserve part of the pie aside, it's not trivial to care for these athletes. The university pays a LOT of money to educate and care for athletes (not just football players) - we cannot get to the point where a school that has invested hundreds of thousands of dollars is left with nothing for all their effort.

Coincidentally, I received this in an email from the Crimson Tide Foundation today, indicating the average annual cost of a student athlete to the University of Alabama is $126,935 (excluding coaches and staff salaries):

It's akin to having a one-sided employment contract that includes paying for the employee's training costs...

Attachments

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
As a fan, I hate the idea. Can you imagine what the possible exodus might look like, for example, when Coach Saban retires? Especially if the coordinator they all love isn't hired or something like that? Leaving for the draft early is bad enough. I don't want to think of it.

All that said, I do try to remember these are kids the same age as my own two kids. I don't want anyone telling them where they can and can't go to college, if the new college accepts them. But mine aren't scholarship athletes either.
No one can tell them where they can or can't attend university. The student athlete picks where he wants to attend. If he does not like it, he can always transfer to another university and sit out one year. It is simple and fair just like it is, but this is another situation where people want to act like these kids are held against their will by some evil regime and that their civil liberties are being trampled upon. Meanwhile, every other student on campus would love to have the benefits these kids receive.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Ideally, it should be for the Head Coach, the Coordinator over the players position, the player's position coach, and in the case of recruits, their primary recruiter.
There's nothing ideal about that at all. May be you should add their host when they are on campus to the list? If they leave, time to hit the road...

Every signee who was recruited by a fired (or resigning) coach should have the option to shop around, IMO.

Certainly, the coaches all have that option - why not the players, provided minimal and logical limits are maintained.
Umm, no they don't. Coaches have to honor scholarships, they can't just show up and kick the useless players off the team.

This idea, when you come down to just a head coaching change almost makes sense, before one starts to consider all the other issues and implications (signing limits, four year scholarships, etc...). The fact is players can transfer if they want, they just have to sit out a year. If they graduated, they don't have to sit out at all. It's not that big a deal, removing all obstacles to transfers without also easing the obligation the incoming coach and the school itself has to the player is somewhat ridiculous. They're giving these guys full ride four year scholarships, and in the case of the SEC using one of the 25 slots per year on them.

Let's put this in a pro sports perspective. It would be like every team signing players to guaranteed four year deals, but the players could all leave anytime there was a change of staff.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
This proposal would also give coaches tremendous additional leverage when negotiating for a new contract or extension. "Hey, if I go, the entire team will be able to leave...if they feel like it."

Last edited:

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
This could create chaos. Universities would possibly be RECRUITING players at other universities.

What if a coach RETIRES after an awesome career and the entire players roster transfers since they were possibly 3, 4 and 5 star recruits.

Is the chaos you know better than the chaos you don't?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.