Link: Proposal to let athletes transfer instantly after a coaching change picks up steam

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
For guys like me, HAD I had the chance to put on that Crimson Jersey, I'd have done it in a heartbeat!! Scholarship or not, restrictions or not!
All that held me back was the total lack of talent, skill, size, and ability. ;)

And just by-the-by, as a casual observation and not as "Proof" of anything - but this article from 2016 purports to look at what a college football player might be worth in a "free market" based on the profit-sharing provisions of the NFLPA (and NOT counting any "base salary" beyond just the profit sharing portion of their compensation).

http://www.businessinsider.com/college-football-player-value-2016-10

Funny, huh?
Really struggling to follow what you're trying to say in this entire thread.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
That's a really bad comparison. Like, really bad.
It is like some people don't even understand college football, or comprehend Title IX.

Edit: After one whole minute on google: "Only 24 FBS schools generated more revenue than they spent in 2014"
Let's not even get into the fact that I go to games to support the football team not the individual players.

Also, for example Washington's athletic department lost 2 million. Lost, as in they were 2 million short. They spent 2 million more on their athletes than their athletic department brought in.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I’m confused... I said that this positioning by the NCAA could be to counter potential XFL age rules being thrown around, but now we are discussing NFL rules vs NBA rules. How are they even comparable?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Right, and now they would have even more counting against them this way. How many unusable transfers can you keep on scholarship before you are no longer able to field a team in the present?
I'm confused. How are they counting more? And it's not like a team will take 5+ transfers in a year knowing they will have to sit out a year.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm confused. How are they counting more? And it's not like a team will take 5+ transfers in a year knowing they will have to sit out a year.
I'll jump at the chance to get back on topic. I think you do bring up the major limitation to a mass exodus as things stand now. The scholarship limits don't just harm the team having the exodus (especially when it comes time to try to replace them with 25 guys the following year), but individual teams can only take in so many transfers at a time as well.

I think the proposal is a dumb one written by people clearly more qualified to do other things.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
They do, that's the point. Their options are no more or less limited than anyone else (with the exception of dumb scholarship limitations which I am against). There isn't some college football player prison these guys have to go into, that's not how this works.
Wow. Really? Suppose that on April 1, 2018 an SEC School (Not Alabama, of course! - Oh!! I know!! Just for fun, lets say its UGa! LOL!! :) ): So UGa fires ALL the Head Coaches of every sport. Its an extreme example, but I offer it to make a point. Suppose that happens - the school utterly "Cleans House".

What Options exist for the athletes on every team OTHER than the football team have? And you Correct me if I'm wrong, ok?
But it seems to me that these athletes have the following options:
- They can stay in school and continue to play on the team;
- They can quit the team and either stay in school or leave school;
- They can seek a transfer within NCAA rules to another FBS/Div-1 program and sit out a year,
- They can transfer to a lower division program,
OR
- The athletes in sports that have Professional leagues can Attempt to go Pro the very next day. Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors or Seniors - the door is open to ALL of them to Attempt to go pro IF that's what they want to do. MLB (or minor leagues, or Japan, Puerto Rico or any number of other intennational leagues), NBA (or NBA Dev. League, EuroChallenge, etc.); PGA (or Nike Tour, Asia Tour, etc.), LPGA, MLS, USPTA, PBA, NHL, etc.

Now, lets look at the football team. Tell me what options Jake Fromm has IF he doesn't want to play for the new UGA coach and doesn't want to play lower division or Juco football, but DOES want a shot at the NFL.

Go ahead - I'm all ears!!! :)

How do you know it is their chosen profession? Most college football players do not play football as their profession. Having said that, no one, anywhere, is locked into one profession! I mentioned communism, but seriously in the free world people can do more than one thing with their life. People do not have one ability, one skill set, one job they can do.
LOL!! I wish we could meet in Tuscaloosa some afternoon, and go to a team meeting - and ask the Alabama football team, "How many of you guys WANT a chance to play football in the NFL".

Honesty, if less than 80% of them held up their hands I'd happily buy you a beer and concede the point.

You can't educate someone unwilling to learn.

. . . .
Ok, that's what I thought but I didn't want to say it in case I was wrong.

As we all know, it's a universally accepted indication that an argument is over when the Ad Hominem attacks start.

Thanks for playing - Have a great day.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
"How many of you guys WANT a chance to play football in the NFL".
Ok, I want to be a billionaire. What does want to have to do with anything?

That honestly seems to be your big hangup here. You seem to think people should just get what they want. That's not how freedom works man. It's not what you want, it's what you can achieve. And their freedom to achieve is no more limited, despite your all over the map claims, than anyone else.

There's no point in going further. You get it or you do not. These are not professionals, they are students. They are very well taken care of, but the fact remains that they are students. If they want to go the Duron Carter route, more power to them, but Alabama is a better choice. That's what it is, a choice. One they don't have to make. And all your spurious rhetoric won't change that simple fact.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
That is new information to me, and I STAND CORRECTED! Yes, one SEC asst. coach was barred from immediately taking a job at another SEC school.

But he wasn't barred from immediately taking an on-field coaching job at Michigan, was he?

So lets see - that's ONE asst. coach in the collective memory of this board, and he wasn't prevented from all "Coaching", but only "Coaching" at a small number (13) other schools (and he received a very high cash salary in exchange for signing that contract at Arkansas).

By way of comparison, as of the second week of last December, at least TWENTY (20) FBS college football programs had changed Head Coaches, and possibly as many as 3-5 times+ as many asst. coaching positions had changed. So far as I can tell (and I admit I could be wrong) but apparently none of these new hires were prevented from leaving their last job and immediately taking a new one.

But virtually NONE of the players they recruited enjoyed the same freedom (barring very limited current transfer rules for graduates and certain other limited circumstances).

I fully "get" the arguments for the current system. I get it. I just respectfully disagree.
Bobby Petrino had a non-compete, also, i think Ark's Ol coach had one. That's just in the last couple of years and only in the SEC. I'm sure there are others. The broader truth is that they exist can be included in any coach's contract.

But the comparison between coaches and players is not a legitimate one anyway. Coaches are paid employees, who have individual contracts, who can be fired at any time; players area unpaid, scholarshiped students who cannot be fired, but are according to "industry-wide" rules essentially guaranteed a 4 year contract. And the players do have great latitude in movement, the only restriction is to usually sit out 1 year where they can still train and practice, or move to another division of college football with no strings attached. This is to avoid chaos in the collegiate game. But coaches and players have very different duties, responsibilities, risks, etc. They are not the same, neither is it wrong to treat them differently. They both enter their contracts willingly.

It's fine to say you disagree with the overall philosophy, but coaches and players are very different, they are just involved in the same game.

Last edited:

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Link

I can get behind this. Look at a guy like Collin Peak that only played one year at Alabama because Paul Johnson told him Georgia Tech wouldn't use a TE like him.
Bad proposal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.