Link: Proposal to let athletes transfer instantly after a coaching change picks up steam

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

Athletes would be allowed to transfer schools without restriction if their coach were fired or left for another job as part of sweeping proposal that is making its way through Division I, CBS Sports has learned. However, athletes would not be permitted to follow the departing coach to their new program.

The proposal, which originated from the Big 12, would also allow athletes to transfer without sitting out a season (as currently mandated by NCAA rules) in the event a postseason ban is handed down by the NCAA as punishment to their program.

The traditional academic "year in residence" for transfers in all other situations would still be in place and extended to every sport. Presently, that is only a requirement in five NCAA sports.

The proposal authored by the faculty athletic representatives at Baylor and Iowa State has received early support. Skeptics note it is merely a proposal, not the proposal. Still, the document shared with CBS Sports seems to be the most detailed offering to date as a means of fixing the NCAA's long-criticized transfer policies.
I can get behind this. Look at a guy like Collin Peak that only played one year at Alabama because Paul Johnson told him Georgia Tech wouldn't use a TE like him.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
One of the reasons I stopped watching pro football was that it got hard to like and follow the players on your favorite team since they could be here today and gone tomorrow for any number of reasons. One of the things I love about College is that a player comes in and you can count on seeing them play or be on the team for 3 or four years. I guess I'm just use to that progression. I get the fairness/unfairness angle re the coaching leaving, but I just think the potential player turmoil would take away from the game. Could also impact player development, etc.

Geez, imagine being a Gator fan for the last 5 years under this rule. I can see "programs" coming back in to play so you can keep up w/the comings and goings. :)

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Is this only for changes regarding head coaches and not applicable to changes in coordinators and position coaches?
Ideally, it should be for the Head Coach, the Coordinator over the players position, the player's position coach, and in the case of recruits, their primary recruiter.

Not sure how this would affect other sports, but I think it would be a very Positive move for College Football players - but I would support the limitation (as stated in the proposed rule) against following the coach to their new school - and I'm thinking of guys like Kirby Smart and Lane Kiffin in particular.

But just look how many times a HC will fire coordinators or position coaches the day AFTER NSD (same deal where a position coach is quiting for another job, and its kept quiet until NSD). Ogre-on did this just a couple years ago when he fired D. Craig (if memory serves?). Every signee who was recruited by a fired (or resigning) coach should have the option to shop around, IMO.

Certainly, the coaches all have that option - why not the players, provided minimal and logical limits are maintained.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure this is a very good idea. I mean, imagine how a CFB team might be gutted by transfers if this goes through.

And it should only be applicable if the converse is also true - when a coach inherits a team, he can pull scholarships and replace them with players he wants. But I suspect people would bristle at that idea...

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'm not sure this is a very good idea. I mean, imagine how a CFB team might be gutted by transfers if this goes through.

And it should only be applicable if the converse is also true - when a coach inherits a team, he can pull scholarships and replace them with players he wants. But I suspect people would bristle at that idea...
Wouldn't this kind of happen too. There has to be openings for these transfers to be able to come there so some kids would have to get "cut" or "run off" to make room for them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Honestly, if this passes we need to eliminate guaranteed 4 year scholarships. These new transfer rules make the student mobile. Schools need the same flexibility to dump a bad kid.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA

Could be a real free-for-all, that`s for sure. One thing would be certain IMO. There would be no dull off seasons!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is the unintended consequence I worry about:

Also, the subsequent impact on a departure to a school's Academic Progress Rate would have to be considered. Mass transfers could potentially put a program's postseason eligibility at risk.
Alabama's APR has taken a hit some when a player transfers and doesn't graduate at his next school. This could become a problem unless altered.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is the unintended consequence I worry about:

Alabama's APR has taken a hit some when a player transfers and doesn't graduate at his next school. This could become a problem unless altered.
I think that they would have to eliminate NCAA approved transfers from the numbers altogether.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Unintended consequences, indeed.

Free agency is one of the primary things that destroyed the NFL for me. If you think this is the end game for this movement, that the ultimate goal isn't the ability to transfer at any time, for any reason, with no penalty, you're fooling yourself.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I didn’t play at the college level. Nonetheless I would like to think most players are more loyal to the team than the coach.

This is one of those things that looks good on paper but has harmful consequences in practice.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
As a fan, I hate the idea. Can you imagine what the possible exodus might look like, for example, when Coach Saban retires? Especially if the coordinator they all love isn't hired or something like that? Leaving for the draft early is bad enough. I don't want to think of it.

All that said, I do try to remember these are kids the same age as my own two kids. I don't want anyone telling them where they can and can't go to college, if the new college accepts them. But mine aren't scholarship athletes either.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So let's see........

1) Saban leaves Alabama for Texas and...

2) The entire team goes with him

Does anyone think this is a GOOD idea?

I can get RTR91's point at the start. I actually favor Gray's notion that you cannot go in conference except I'd go further: I don't think you should be able to go to a team you're playing the next year, either. So if we have a third-string RB who wants to go to Duke right now, well, too bad.

I think the bad outweighs the good. And who the hell will Auburn get to play for them if thieves can't transfer in conference?

I'm slightly kidding but on a more serious note, I just think it's not a great idea.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
So let's see........

1) Saban leaves Alabama for Texas and...

2) The entire team goes with him

Does anyone think this is a GOOD idea?

I can get RTR91's point at the start. I actually favor Gray's notion that you cannot go in conference except I'd go further: I don't think you should be able to go to a team you're playing the next year, either. So if we have a third-string RB who wants to go to Duke right now, well, too bad.

I think the bad outweighs the good. And who the hell will Auburn get to play for them if thieves can't transfer in conference?

I'm slightly kidding but on a more serious note, I just think it's not a great idea.
Transferring players can't follow the head coach..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
NC2A would have to allow additional scholarships to teams that lost players if they implement this OR else a team could be stripped of enough players to compete.

For instance, if 10 players leave they'd have to allow them to sign 35 the next recruiting cycle.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.