Link: BAMA vs Mizzu preview ...

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Pathetic, Petty looked horrid, Jones was forcing shots, defense was inconsistent and focused when they wanted too. Ughhh. What a fun game to stay up late and catch up on

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This was also a case of a bad matchup. Look at our losses. All of the teams that we have lost to play a methodical, slow paced type of game. Those teams also have good or above average bigs that can put rebound us and shut down the dribble drive. This is when we have to knock down shots, which we couldn’t do tonight. Had some open looks and couldn’t knock them down. We have to try to speed the game up against teams like this. I wanted us to press early in the game to try to control the tempo. We just don’t matchup well with teams that have solid bigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cecil mentioned it in their podcast this week. Missouri prefers to play a halfcourt game, which Alabama doesn't do well.
I’m very frustrated with this loss, however I am not surprised one bit. This was a classic letdown situation. It was almost too predictable with a young team and playing against a team that doesn’t give you the opportunity to run and gun like this team really wants to.

Add in the game time on a Wednesday night, you're going to get a so-so crowd (nothing like Coleman was against Oklahoma), and you get a poor performance.

In the last few days, I've heard some say Petty is the player that makes the most difference in the team. Stats tend to point it, too.

In the wins, he shoots 48% from the field (44% from 3) and averages 13.9 points per game.

In the losses, he shoots 27% from the field (22% from 3) and averages 7.1 points per game.

He's almost halves his production in the losses. That's going to have to change for this team to stay in the top half of the SEC.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Lunardi still has us as a 9 seed in the tournament. I agree that our effort was awful tonight, but to say we have no shot at the tournament now is just false. We just have to live with the fact that we are a young team that has to learn how to deal with success. I know it’s frustrating, but it’s where we are right now.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Cecil mentioned it in their podcast this week. Missouri prefers to play a halfcourt game, which Alabama doesn't do well.

Add in the game time on a Wednesday night, you're going to get a so-so crowd (nothing like Coleman was against Oklahoma), and you get a poor performance.

In the last few days, I've heard some say Petty is the player that makes the most difference in the team. Stats tend to point it, too.

In the wins, he shoots 48% from the field (44% from 3) and averages 13.9 points per game.

In the losses, he shoots 27% from the field (22% from 3) and averages 7.1 points per game.

He's almost halves his production in the losses. That's going to have to change for this team to stay in the top half of the SEC.
I’ve been saying this about Petty since December. I said it again on Twitter last night. When he is on it keeps the floor spread and gives us driving lanes because you can’t help off of him.

We also had to play a lineup of two bigs last night because of Missouri’s size. This does not benefit us at all. We don’t play well with two bigs. They aren’t skilled enough. We have to be a 4 out 1 in team.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The three wins vs. ranked opponents is keeping us in the game for the moment. But I just can't see where the wins are going to come from down the stretch, if we are to remain in it. If we could just take care of business at home, but you can't depend on this team to do that. And we've shown no ability to play with a pulse on the road. At least since conference play started.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
The youth excuse is wearing thin. 5 of the next 8 games are against the 4 best teams in the league. Road games at Florida, Auburn and Kentucky. They have or will/have played themselves out of the tourney. They are as good right now as they are going to be this year.Do not anticipate the season ending well.
Lunardi still has us as a 9 seed in the tournament. I agree that our effort was awful tonight, but to say we have no shot at the tournament now is just false. We just have to live with the fact that we are a young team that has to learn how to deal with success. I know it’s frustrating, but it’s where we are right now.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
The youth excuse is wearing thin. 5 of the next 8 games are against the 4 best teams in the league. Road games at Florida, Auburn and Kentucky. They have or will/have played themselves out of the tourney. They are as good right now as they are going to be this year.Do not anticipate the season ending well.
It’s not an excuse, it’s reality. We are a young inconsistent team. That is who we are. We are the 4th youngest team in the nation actually.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
It’s not an excuse, it’s reality. We are a young inconsistent team. That is who we are. We are the 3rd youngest team in the nation actually.
Know your pain. This is us last year. It was a hallmark of Auburn games in 16-17 to build up huge leads only to see them slip away, not knowing how to close out. We were above .500 for the first time since 08-09, so there was improvement, but the youth really showed with us losing several games we should have won and missing out completely on the postseason.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Say it with me - "We. Are. Young."

• Ken Pomeroy ranks Alabama's experience at 348 out of 351 teams in the nation. According to his formula which is determined by a player's eligibility class (a freshman has zero years of experience, a sophomore has one year of experience, etc.), Alabama owns a 0.77 rating, which is the least experienced team in school history. The previous record in the rankings, which began in 2007, was the Tide's 2012 squad which was ranked No. 322 with 1.01 years of experience.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Say it with me - "We. Are. Young."
What are the records of the other teams that are around Alabama in this experience ranking? I looked and could not find his rankings. May be behind a pay wall or maybe I was looking in the wrong place..

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
What are the records of the other teams that are around Alabama in this experience ranking? I looked and could not find his rankings. May be behind a pay wall or maybe I was looking in the wrong place..
From the P5

339. Texas (0.96 yrs) 14-8
346. Pittsburgh (0.86 yrs) 8-15
348. Alabama (0.77 yrs) 14-8
350. Duke (0.61 yrs) 19-3
351. Kentucky (0.19 yrs) 17-5

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From the P5

339. Texas (0.96 yrs) 14-8
346. Pittsburgh (0.86 yrs) 8-15
348. Alabama (0.77 yrs) 14-8
350. Duke (0.61 yrs) 19-3
351. Kentucky (0.19 yrs) 17-5
RPI of each of those teams:

Texas - 36
Pittsburgh - 180
Alabama - 41
Duke - 4
Kentucky - 13

SOS of each of those teams:

Texas - 17
Pittsburgh - 35
Alabama - 10
Duke - 13
Kentucky - 8

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
RPI of each of those teams:

Texas - 36
Pittsburgh - 180
Alabama - 41
Duke - 4
Kentucky - 13

SOS of each of those teams:

Texas - 17
Pittsburgh - 35
Alabama - 10
Duke - 13
Kentucky - 8
That's about what I expected. Texas, Duke and Kentucky are all better teams than us but have the same youth as we do. I understand that Duke and Kentucky have far better programs than we do so maybe that's not a fair comparison. Texas is probably the best comparison and they beat us, in what was basically a home game for Alabama, by a score of 66-50. I just don't buy the youth argument as the main reason for our loses. A good basketball program will always have a decent amount of youth because players are leaving for the NBA or transferring out if they can't cut it. It's also puzzling to me that some have suggested if only we had Riley Norris this year the team would be so much better. He's a complimentary player at best. I like Riley but he wouldn't have made a difference in our W/L record. It's just funny that we've turned to the youth excuse because under Grant the logic was that we had experience but not enough talent. Now we've spun it the other way that we have talent but not enough experience..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's about what I expected. Texas, Duke and Kentucky are all better teams than us but have the same youth as we do. I understand that Duke and Kentucky have far better programs than we do so maybe that's not a fair comparison. Texas is probably the best comparison and they beat us, in what was basically a home game for Alabama, by a score of 66-50. I just don't buy the youth argument as the main reason for our loses. A good basketball program will always have a decent amount of youth because players are leaving for the NBA or transferring out if they can't cut it. It's also puzzling to me that some have suggested if only we had Riley Norris this year the team would be so much better. He's a complimentary player at best. I like Riley but he wouldn't have made a difference in our W/L record. It's just funny that we've turned to the youth excuse because under Grant the logic was that we had experience but not enough talent. Now we've spun it the other way that we have talent but not enough experience..
Missing the point about Riley. It's not about his stats. It's about his presence on the floor. His experience of three years on the court would drastically help when times get rough. He would be able to calm guys down. In basic terms - help right the ship.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.