A Week Away From NSD: How do we stand on 1/31?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
We (the fans) always say 'fill needs' and 'trust in Coach' and all that and we still want to crow to high heaven about a top class when the bottom line is that two guys playing in the Senior Bowl from Bama this year were a former walk-on and a guy who was supposed to grayshirt but got in when a spot opened at the last minute. Would I rather have five star guys from New Jersey who will never come back here again once they get their draft status set than three star guys from Luverne who bled crimson all their lives? Sure I would, because we have seen that quality of depth is one thing you absolutely must have to get to the finish line first, but I also know that some of these three star guys work out just fine, and that Nick Saban and his people are far better evaluators of talent than even the recruiting gurus.

rtr

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Good read. Look, rankings are only for the fans. If we fill our needs, which we look to do quite well, then we will continue to dominate on the field. Next year I look for us to blow everyone out of the water in recruiting anyway.
That is an old adage I don't think exists anymore. As big as recruiting has become players in each class know their ranking and they help recruit other players and tell them to come be a part of the #1 class. Also our marketing dept has made posters about our #1 classes to entice other recruits to join those classes. I agree on filling needs and this is what we are doing in this class for the most part. We will return to #1 next year.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
So, tomorrow's Friday of the last recruiting weekend. Are we having just two visitors come to T-Town?

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
For whatever reason, I never paid attention to Alex Leatherwood (great football name) from this angle on the last play. I know he played outstanding the whole time, but from the side angle that you typically get with TV you can't tell as much about footwork from a lineman. His footwork, center of gravity, and riding the pocket behind the play is very advanced. He will be a monster lineman and could be a three and done if he stays focused and healthy. Wow.

Sorry, back to recruiting...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Why? We will have top 3-5 class anyway.. We knew we weren't going to get all of those guys...
Dig that man. This year is really an anomaly given the first year of the early signing period, our only having 23 slots and the coaching turnover. We are still going to have an outstanding class - top 5 minimum - and there has been a lot of late interest from kids we had no idea were in our sights. We will be happy come NSD but next year...LOOKOUT WORLD!!!

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
No longer expect ITS in the class. The term "non football issues" was thrown around.
That's hard to believe at this stage of the game (not saying it's your stance). Doesn't seem to be anything cooling other schools on him and we've spent a lot of time pursuing him. Wouldn't doubt that Surtain and Campbell are sitting higher on the board, but it would be extremely bold if what's really going on here is that we're banking on either of them.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
That's hard to believe at this stage of the game (not saying it's your stance). Doesn't seem to be anything cooling other schools on him and we've spent a lot of time pursuing him. Wouldn't doubt that Surtain and Campbell are sitting higher on the board, but it would be extremely bold if what's really going on here is that we're banking on either of them.
Have heard that most of the excitement has come from the ITS side. Remember we stopped recruiting him for a 4 month period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.