A Week Away From NSD: How do we stand on 1/31?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Which goes back to my original point....some kids just don’t want to win championships.... it’s as simple as that
Im not sure he doesn't want to win a championship...I just think his focus is different. I'm sure he wants to win one but his primary focus is elsewhere. My nephew was in a similar situation with an academically prestigious school and soccer. It's really a difficult situation for the family and him. He was a passionate player who was nationally ranked. He chose the academic route as his primary but you would never be able to tell him he doesnt want to win a championship, and I think the same could be said for most kids. Sometimes making a difficult decision doesn't imply that one doesn't want something....it actually accentuates the character in those who are willing to place one thing on a higher platform than another. As an uncle who watched his nephew go through this...the desire is always there . It wouldn't be a tough decision if it were not. RTR

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Im not sure he doesn't want to win a championship...I just think his focus is different. I'm sure he wants to win one but his primary focus is elsewhere. My nephew was in a similar situation with an academically prestigious school and soccer. It's really a difficult situation for the family and him. He was a passionate player who was nationally ranked. He chose the academic route as his primary but you would never be able to tell him he doesnt want to win a championship, and I think the same could be said for most kids. Sometimes making a difficult decision doesn't imply that one doesn't want something....it actually accentuates the character in those who are willing to place one thing on a higher platform than another. As an uncle who watched his nephew go through this...the desire is always there . It wouldn't be a tough decision if it were not. RTR
Ok then, he doesn't want to win a championship as much as he wants to accumulate massive debt to attain a degree from a prestigious University that will serve him no better than the degree he would earn by attending a University on a full athletic scholarship. Satisfied?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Ok then, he doesn't want to win a championship as much as he wants to accumulate massive debt to attain a degree from a prestigious University that will serve him no better than the degree he would earn by attending a University on a full athletic scholarship. Satisfied?

Not sure why your post is so sarcastic and why your concern of this kids debt....let me ask you a question ...how do you know how much of a financial aid the kid has from Princeton? How do you know how much his parents are paying? You don't ...please leave the sarcasm out .As much of a Bama Homer as I am, it's not the end all be all. We as a fan base can wish the kid good luck without questioning his desire to win championships and using a debt argument to make him sound like he made a bad choice. Again, it's easy to say that when you or someone you know are not in their shoes

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Not sure why your post is so sarcastic and why your concern of this kids debt....let me ask you a question ...how do you know how much of a financial aid the kid has from Princeton? How do you know how much his parents are paying? You don't ...please leave the sarcasm out .As much of a Bama Homer as I am, it's not the end all be all. We as a fan base can wish the kid good luck without questioning his desire to win championships and using a debt argument to make him sound like he made a bad choice. Again, it's easy to say that when you or someone you know are not in their shoes
In one of these articles it states he will receive little to no financial aid. It has also been said they don't give athletic scholarships. You keep nitpicking CC's post about winning a championship, but it's most likely true.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Just as a reference. A list of 50 universities who's graduates receive the highest median pay post graduation has Princeton listed at #13 with a median starting pay at $60K. #50 on that list is Clemson at $52K. Bama was not in the top 50. This is just one list and is from Business Insider. A degree from Princeton would certainly be a benefit in the business world.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
In one of these articles it states he will receive little to no financial aid. It has also been said they don't give athletic scholarships. You keep nitpicking CC's post about winning a championship, but it's most likely true.

I'm no nitpicking...I am replying with an opinion based on experience with a family member ..ones opinion is not not picking or a board would be one-sided correct? It also states in another article that his family would have to pick up only a portion of the amount, that implied that there's a good amount of aid available to the young man

WPtider

1st Team
Jan 10, 2006
DC
I don’t understand how we can assume anything about this situation other than this kid felt Princeton was a better fit than Alabama. I come from a family were both sets of grandparents, both parents and all siblings went to the university. I never missed a football game growing up but when it came time to make a college decision I chose to go somewhere else. I did not have a specific career path in mind as an 18-year-old but felt the school I chose would help as the acceptance rate to virtually every graduate school was higher than Alabama’s. As a rising sophomore, I decided I wanted to go to medical school. I got in to my dream school. Granted grades and test scores played a major role but I felt like I had an advantage interviewing because of where I obtained my undergraduate degree. I wasn’t able to retire in my mid 30s like a few NFL players do but I would not trade my current career for an average or even above average NFL career. I played a major sport for a brief period of time in college before deciding academics were much more important. Before we criticize this kid’s decision please realize that for 99.8% of people, sports are designed to teach us lessons about life that will help us be successful in other careers not be careers themselves. Champions learn a skill or obtain an education that will help them be productive members of society and support themselves and their families. From all appearances, this kid seems to be on the right track to doing that.

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Thread has gotten off Topic. There is a White thread. That being said based on what I have seen it looks like Bama will get Ross Waddle, Smith and Langham. Moody if he is offered and hopefully Surtain and one of the o linemen . Not sure they sign a qb we will see.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
White sees the prestige of a princeton degree over football. Wouldn't surprise me to see him quit football at some point from hearing some of his comments.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
If you had to choose between one of the two, who would you rather have in the class, and which of the two would most likely be influenced by visiting college station?

For me, considering need and assuming both qualify, Brown. Same for who I think will be most likely influenced.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I am just gob smacked why there could be a choice on a player coming to Bama or going elsewhere. CNS has had this program winning NC's for ten years. I can understand a player being reticent about a program if its just won a NC out of nowhere, however, Bama has won 5, count it FIVE, NC's in 10 years. There is no reason to believe the winning won't continue with CNS at the helm, so why would these kids not be clamoring at the door for a schollie and let CNS take his pick. If these kids have any thoughts of going to the NFL, then coming to Bama is a no brainer.

I know kids can be dazzled with bling, but the NC trophy is as shiny as all get out. Playing in that final game is a great rehearsal for the next level.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I am just gob smacked why there could be a choice on a player coming to Bama or going elsewhere. CNS has had this program winning NC's for ten years. I can understand a player being reticent about a program if its just won a NC out of nowhere, however, Bama has won 5, count it FIVE, NC's in 10 years. There is no reason to believe the winning won't continue with CNS at the helm, so why would these kids not be clamoring at the door for a schollie and let CNS take his pick. If these kids have any thoughts of going to the NFL, then coming to Bama is a no brainer.

I know kids can be dazzled with bling, but the NC trophy is as shiny as all get out. Playing in that final game is a great rehearsal for the next level.

Personally, I can only suppose that winning national championships isn`t the most important thing for some kids, as hard as that might be to believe. What motivates 18 year old kids? I`m pretty sure there`s a number of these kids who are convinced that they have the talent to get to the NFL regardless of where they go to school.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

All fans care about is winning - that's their primary motivation in participating and for most their primary tie to the program. The kids have many other issues to consider: playing time, future in NFL, academics, distance from family, comfort level with players, relationship with pos coach and HC, etc.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Agreed it would be Brown and I think he still sticks. Great to hear Waddle did not go to College Station.
I hope we get Waddle and Brown sticks. Brown plays at a position of need and guys of his caliber are hard to find. Waddle is electrifying. He reminds me of Christian Kirk.

allybama2009

1st Team
Jan 1, 2009
Conway, SC
Thread has gotten off Topic. There is a White thread. That being said based on what I have seen it looks like Bama will get Ross Waddle, Smith and Langham. Moody if he is offered and hopefully Surtain and one of the o linemen . Not sure they sign a qb we will see.
Moody was offered the other day and is on his official visit right now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.