Poll: How good was Bobby Bowden?

How good was Bobby Bowden

• Total voters

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
It's pretty much just as easy to win a title now as it was back in the 1990s. They still only give out 1 title (though they sometimes split them back then).

Having to play more games doesn't make it more difficult to win a title - somebody is going to win it. It's more difficult to go undefeated or have 1 loss, but winning a title isn't really any harder.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Definitely great and one of the best ever. My only disappointment with him is that we were unable to get him to coach for us, though that was more by our own doing (on the AD/President side). He did talk a little bad smack about Bama when we were being chosen to play Miami for the NC (iirc, he claimed FSU deserved that shot more than we did, even though they had already lost to Miami), but that doesn't diminish the fact that he was great.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't see what's so hard to understand about what I'm saying. He's not in Nick Saban's league. He's not in Coach Bryant's league. To me, there is no comparison. So I'm not going to group him with them.

To me, it's akin to lumping 2017 UCF with 2017 Alabama. (Very few teams can go 13-0, right?) I'm not jumping through any hoops...
I'm not sure setting the bar of greatness with Saban's and Bryant's accomplishments is exactly fair. That would be like keeping players out of the Hall of Fame because they didn't have as many SB rings as Brady or Belichick. Granted, championships are a component of greatness but it isn't the be all end all.

I think Bryant and Saban have separated themselves from the great ones to be in a category of "Best of the Best". But setting the bar of greatness with their accomplishments would eliminate a lot of coaches who should be considered great in college football history.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't see what's so hard to understand about what I'm saying. He's not in Nick Saban's league. He's not in Coach Bryant's league. To me, there is no comparison. So I'm not going to group him with them.

To me, it's akin to lumping 2017 UCF with 2017 Alabama. (Very few teams can go 13-0, right?) I'm not jumping through any hoops...
You can be great in every regard and still not be the greatest of all time. Saban and Bryant were beyond great, but that makes guys like Bowden no less great. It just makes them less than the 2 greatest.

Maybe Saban and Bryant need their own category to remove confusion.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
It's pretty much just as easy to win a title now as it was back in the 1990s. They still only give out 1 title (though they sometimes split them back then).

Having to play more games doesn't make it more difficult to win a title - somebody is going to win it. It's more difficult to go undefeated or have 1 loss, but winning a title isn't really any harder.
Yah, it's just different.

Now you HAVE to beat two top 4 teams in back to back games - something that was never the requirement before. I'd say it's easier to have a shot now than it was pre-playoffs as you only have to make the top 4 to get that shot, whereas before you had to make the top two. But that's balanced by the fact that you now have to play two of the best teams in the country in order to raise the trophy.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yah, it's just different.

Now you HAVE to beat two top 4 teams in back to back games - something that was never the requirement before. I'd say it's easier to have a shot now than it was pre-playoffs as you only have to make the top 4 to get that shot, whereas before you had to make the top two. But that's balanced by the fact that you now have to play two of the best teams in the country in order to raise the trophy.
I'll also add we shouldn't downplay the scholarship limits that are now in play that weren't back in Bryant's day. Bryant recruited some kids simply so "the other school" wouldn't get them. Imagine giving Saban an additional 40 scholarships to give out that would otherwise end up at competing schools and being one of that school's best players. In essence he could recruit 85 players he was going to beat you with on the field. Then recruit an additional 40 very talented players to ride the bench in order to keep you from having access to them. Bryant is one of the greatest of all time and probably would be just as great if he was alive and coaching in today's landscape. But Saban has had to navigate an entirely different obstacle course than Bryant did.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not sure setting the bar of greatness with Saban's and Bryant's accomplishments is exactly fair. That would be like keeping players out of the Hall of Fame because they didn't have as many SB rings as Brady or Belichick. Granted, championships are a component of greatness but it isn't the be all end all.

I think Bryant and Saban have separated themselves from the great ones to be in a category of "Best of the Best". But setting the bar of greatness with their accomplishments would eliminate a lot of coaches who should be considered great in college football history.
You can be great in every regard and still not be the greatest of all time. Saban and Bryant were beyond great, but that makes guys like Bowden no less great. It just makes them less than the 2 greatest.

Maybe Saban and Bryant need their own category to remove confusion.
One more comment as I die on this hill (unless Selma comes along and sets me on fire again). I don’t want to eliminate Bowden from any list of greats. He’s there for sure. The hang up I have is simple and it’s what B1G says in the end of his post. And by the way, I don’t think Bryant and Saban are alone. I go back to Rockne, who was setting a torrid pace for over a decade and was killed at 43 in a plane crash.

Anyway, enough from me. I’ve more than said my piece.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
One more comment as I die on this hill (unless Selma comes along and sets me on fire again). I don’t want to eliminate Bowden from any list of greats. He’s there for sure. The hang up I have is simple and it’s what B1G says in the end of his post. And by the way, I don’t think Bryant and Saban are alone. I go back to Rockne, who was setting a torrid pace for over a decade and was killed at 43 in a plane crash.

Don't go dying just yet. We've already stomped a mudhole in you, we're just needing to walk it dry. Then you can get back to dying on the hill.

;)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Anyone who doesn't think CBB was a great coach must not have watched the Seminoles play often. They were what Bama is now, minus a few NCs. They dominated just about every team they played every season - it was an impressive run.
Was it the Free Shoes that helped them?

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Since Coach Bryant was from Arkansas, was B. Bowden the BEST coach ever to grow up in the state of Alabama?

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
In support of your comments on Bowden we could likely find a majority here who believe that Bama's fortunes would have been much improved had BB been hired versus Bill Curry. Obviously we would have not undergone the travail that ensued from that point. Who could know for certain but judging the talent that passed through Tallahassee under BB we could conclude that the same period at Bama would be much different. I don't see quite how we would take him out of the discussion of all time coaches.

barrytide

BamaNation Citizen
May 3, 2011
Havana,IL
I would definitely call him a great coach. You can have varying degrees of greatness i.e. great, greater, greatest. Not to mention the fact that he also selflessly helped to clothe and shoe several young men. Too bad we had idiots in positions of power that wanted him to come in hat in hand and do a buck n shuffle for the job.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
We are simply at an impasse Selma. No I did not forget any blue font. Miami was pretty mediocre from about 1995 to 1999. Worse than LSU’s current fall.

Miami was 40-19 in that time period.
Oh, and on probation. They had one losing season.
LSU was 45-18 from 2012-16. And we could point out those extra games were Idaho, Towson St, UAB, Kent St, Sam Houston St, which would make them 40-18 without a probation.

But the larger point is that LSU was not even in the same solar system as Miami 1987-2002 (4 national titles, played for it 3 other times)

LSU was Alabama’s equal talent wise until a couple of seasons ago and still damn near good enough to beat us in 2016 with duct tape and bailing wire for a head coach.

I said earlier Bowden was top ten...
Nah that's fine. I'm just shaking my head at the idea that LSU 2007-20014 is Miami 1987-2002........

And to top that you made the comment about it being similar to UCF.....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
For starters everyone, I respect all of you because you have to act like adults to keep posting here. There's a lot of agree to disagree. Know this: many times I have ONE opinion and then I do this moronic thing called looking at the data, and it often overturns my assumption. Take Adrian Beltre. I live here in Dallas and go to about 5-6 Rangers games per year. My brother and I were chatting and he asked me if Beltre is a Hall of Famer (this is two years ago). I said, "No." Then I actually LOOKED at his stats and the guy is something like the 8th best third baseman to ever play major league baseball. He's no dazzle, he's not spectacular, he's just solid. Not as good as Chipper or Schmidt, but VERY good.

My point is this - greatness is determined by CONTEXT. So if my goal were to calmly persuade someone that Bowden IS indeed an all-time great, I'd consider it like this: Babe Ruth is PROBABLY the greatest baseball player of all time. I realize Barry Bonds would get a lot of votes (justifiably) but Ruth was on his way to a HOF career as a PITCHER and then switched. Mickey Mantle was an all-time great, but he's NOT Babe Ruth. Lou Gehrig was an all-time great but he's NOT Babe Ruth. Some of the greatest names out there - GREAT players.....not Babe Ruth but in the SAME TIER as Babe Ruth.

So here's what I'd say if writing a persuasive article for Bowden.......look at him in the context of his time. When he was great, which technically was 1987-2003, let's evaluate......or better yet

What coaches were better than Bowden from 1966-1986? Lots, right?

Now.......give me the list of coaches BETTER than Bobby Bowden from 1987-2003.....who are the peer group?

1) Steve Spurrier - Bowden was 8-5-1 against him
2) Lou Holtz - does anyone here REALLY think Lou Holtz is in the group? Holtz quit Notre Dame and then went and built a pretty decent South Carolina team; Bowden was 2-1 against Holtz at Notre Dame
3) Joe Paterno - they were 1-1 against each other; I'll deal more with Paterno vs Bowden in a moment (football only)
4) Tom Osborne - yes, Tom won 3-2 on national titles, but Bowden was 6-2 against him and Osborne never beat him outside the safe confines of Lincoln

Ok....WHO ELSE qualifies for the discussion from that period of time?

Jimmy Johnson? Didn't coach long enough
Gene Stallings? His on field record from 1990-96 was 70-16-1. During the same time frame, Bowden was 75-10-1. Florida played a tougher schedule than Alabama every single year. Both won a national title. But what puts Bowden over is that he kept right on winning and playing for titles and even winning one.

Am I forgetting any big names here? The two best football coaches in the 17-season span of 1987-2003 were Bowden and Paterno....the only question is who's number one?

And at this point we can say that Bowden WAS, in fact, no worse than the second greatest coach of his era. 17 years is a LONG time to be at or near the top of your sport. Even Coach Bryant had a mid-career dip at Alabama. 17 seasons would be 1961-1977 or 1963-1979 if one prefers. Bryant clearly beats Bowden on the national title score (as always). But Bowden never had this. Alabama had consecutive five-loss seasons in 1970 and 1971 when they played 23 games; Bowden had ONE five-loss season and a four-loss season in 02 and 03.......when his team played 26 games.

We are left with Bowden vs Paterno.

Paterno coached just short of 46 years, Bowden 44.
Paterno had 5 losing seasons, Bowden 4.
Each won two national titles.
Paterno had 5 unbeaten seasons, Bowden 1.
Paterno was 24-12-1 in bowl games, Bowden was 21-10-1.
They were 1-1 in bowl games against each other.
Paterno won 409 games, Bowden won 377.
Paterno averaged 8.8 wins per season, Bowden 8.5

For the time frame in question, it's Bowden. Nobody is better. From 1987-2002, not even Paterno is better. He had three losing seasons in that time frame.

Is Paterno an all-time great (again, limit it to football)? Yes, he is.

If Bowden is right there with Paterno and Paterno is an all-time great then......

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I called him above average.
Scheduling gave Free Shoes University an inflated number of wins.

???????????????????????????????

Let's see, here (per the USA Today College Football Encyclopedia) is the year-end rankings of opponent's winning pct (in essence, SOS) during FSU's run (they only rank the top 20)

1987 - 2
1988 - 7
1989 - 2
1990 - 19
1991 - 2
1992 - 5
1993 - 3
1994 - 2
1995 - 19
1996 - 3
1997 - 11
1998 - 2
1999 - 2
2000 - 2
2001 - 3

???????????????????????????????????????

Yeah, he really ran it up on those Little Sisters of the Poor, didn't he?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For starters everyone, I respect all of you because you have to act like adults to keep posting here. There's a lot of agree to disagree. Know this: many times I have ONE opinion and then I do this moronic thing called looking at the data, and it often overturns my assumption. Take Adrian Beltre. I live here in Dallas and go to about 5-6 Rangers games per year. My brother and I were chatting and he asked me if Beltre is a Hall of Famer (this is two years ago). I said, "No." Then I actually LOOKED at his stats and the guy is something like the 8th best third baseman to ever play major league baseball. He's no dazzle, he's not spectacular, he's just solid. Not as good as Chipper or Schmidt, but VERY good.

My point is this - greatness is determined by CONTEXT. So if my goal were to calmly persuade someone that Bowden IS indeed an all-time great, I'd consider it like this: Babe Ruth is PROBABLY the greatest baseball player of all time. I realize Barry Bonds would get a lot of votes (justifiably) but Ruth was on his way to a HOF career as a PITCHER and then switched. Mickey Mantle was an all-time great, but he's NOT Babe Ruth. Lou Gehrig was an all-time great but he's NOT Babe Ruth. Some of the greatest names out there - GREAT players.....not Babe Ruth but in the SAME TIER as Babe Ruth.

So here's what I'd say if writing a persuasive article for Bowden.......look at him in the context of his time. When he was great, which technically was 1987-2003, let's evaluate......or better yet

What coaches were better than Bowden from 1966-1986? Lots, right?

Now.......give me the list of coaches BETTER than Bobby Bowden from 1987-2003.....who are the peer group?

1) Steve Spurrier - Bowden was 8-5-1 against him
2) Lou Holtz - does anyone here REALLY think Lou Holtz is in the group? Holtz quit Notre Dame and then went and built a pretty decent South Carolina team; Bowden was 2-1 against Holtz at Notre Dame
3) Joe Paterno - they were 1-1 against each other; I'll deal more with Paterno vs Bowden in a moment (football only)
4) Tom Osborne - yes, Tom won 3-2 on national titles, but Bowden was 6-2 against him and Osborne never beat him outside the safe confines of Lincoln

Ok....WHO ELSE qualifies for the discussion from that period of time?

Jimmy Johnson? Didn't coach long enough
Gene Stallings? His on field record from 1990-96 was 70-16-1. During the same time frame, Bowden was 75-10-1. Florida played a tougher schedule than Alabama every single year. Both won a national title. But what puts Bowden over is that he kept right on winning and playing for titles and even winning one.

Am I forgetting any big names here? The two best football coaches in the 17-season span of 1987-2003 were Bowden and Paterno....the only question is who's number one?

And at this point we can say that Bowden WAS, in fact, no worse than the second greatest coach of his era. 17 years is a LONG time to be at or near the top of your sport. Even Coach Bryant had a mid-career dip at Alabama. 17 seasons would be 1961-1977 or 1963-1979 if one prefers. Bryant clearly beats Bowden on the national title score (as always). But Bowden never had this. Alabama had consecutive five-loss seasons in 1970 and 1971 when they played 23 games; Bowden had ONE five-loss season and a four-loss season in 02 and 03.......when his team played 26 games.

We are left with Bowden vs Paterno.

Paterno coached just short of 46 years, Bowden 44.
Paterno had 5 losing seasons, Bowden 4.
Each won two national titles.
Paterno had 5 unbeaten seasons, Bowden 1.
Paterno was 24-12-1 in bowl games, Bowden was 21-10-1.
They were 1-1 in bowl games against each other.
Paterno won 409 games, Bowden won 377.
Paterno averaged 8.8 wins per season, Bowden 8.5

For the time frame in question, it's Bowden. Nobody is better. From 1987-2002, not even Paterno is better. He had three losing seasons in that time frame.

Is Paterno an all-time great (again, limit it to football)? Yes, he is.

If Bowden is right there with Paterno and Paterno is an all-time great then......
Dennis Erickson won 2 NC in 6 years and was 4-2 vs Bowden. Was 63-9 with 5/6 10+ win seasons.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Dennis Erickson won 2 NC in 6 years and was 4-2 vs Bowden. Was 63-9 with 5/6 10+ win seasons.
I don't consider Dennis Erickson worthy of ranking, though.

For starters, the year he won ONE of those two titles, guess who beat him? Bowden, 24-14.

Secondly, what happened when Erickson left Miami in shambles? He couldn't really do anything.

He was 31-17 at Oregon St with one really great year and 31-31 at Arizona St.

Let me put it this way.....if Erickson STAYS at Miami through the probation he helped cause.......he gets fired.

I guess I could have ranked him but we're comparing a six-year span of a guy who inherited it against a 17-year span of a guy who built it.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
I don't consider Dennis Erickson worthy of ranking, though.

For starters, the year he won ONE of those two titles, guess who beat him? Bowden, 24-14.

Secondly, what happened when Erickson left Miami in shambles? He couldn't really do anything.

He was 31-17 at Oregon St with one really great year and 31-31 at Arizona St.

Let me put it this way.....if Erickson STAYS at Miami through the probation he helped cause.......he gets fired.

I guess I could have ranked him but we're comparing a six-year span of a guy who inherited it against a 17-year span of a guy who built it.
He basically was what Barry Switzer was at the cowboys. The guy who took Jimmy's Machine and ran it into the ground.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Many would consider him a great man, as well. The story of his generosity to Marshall University after their tragedy is well known. I have read that he was an important influence to Coach Saban when his father passed, and that he also offered Saban a job at West Virginia. I’m sure there are other, perhaps more impressive examples of his character, but there is much more to the man than the coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.