Poll: How good was Bobby Bowden?

How good was Bobby Bowden

• Total voters

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think Bowden is an all-time great coach, and it kills me that we could have had him for the offering, and instead took Bill Curry.

His record in the glory era was a bit inflated due to the overall weakness of the ACC. In his prime, he would have dominated the SEC....he just wouldn’t have had the ridiculous undefeated run that the weak opposition afforded.

Yes, he hung on too long. Yes, he was a bit lax on discipline. Yes, I think the aw-shucks public persona was overdone and not an entirely accurate depiction of his true personality. Those facts make him a flawed human being, and do not reflect on his abilities as a coach.

Flawed though he may be, he’s still an all-time Top 10 great coach.

This reminds me of a segment in the ESPN SEC Storied documentary about Steve Spurrier when Spurrier was recalling the year Fla St beat them in the regular season and they got the revenge in the national title game. One of the many points of contention Spurrier had with Bowden was Spurrier's belief that Bowden instructed his players to hit after the whistle. Spurrier said he confronted Bowden about it and Bowden told him they play to the echo of the whistle. Years later you still see Spurrier's angst about that when re-telling that story. I laughed out loud because that sounds just like something Bowden and his "aw shucks, pat you on the back while sticking a knife in you" approach. I also always love to see someone goad Spurrier.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Selma - say more on this "unique in-state setup" at Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s basically the lottery system in baseball. Nebraska got extra scholarships for each county in the state for athletics. So they would use the majority of those 93 extra scholarships on in state football recruits and the NCAA allotted for Texas, California, and Missouri recruits. To give you an idea at how shady this was take in account that 80% of the population lives in a 45 minute radius on the eastern border of the state and there are like 30 counties in the middle and western regions of the state with less than 1k people in overall population. Some counties have less than 600 people in it. So an overwhelming number of those scholarships were going to Omaha and Lincoln kids. Once that practice ended Nebraska’s relevancy was done.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
It’s basically the lottery system in baseball. Nebraska got extra scholarships for each county in the state for athletics. So they would use the majority of those 93 extra scholarships on in state football recruits and the NCAA allotted for Texas, California, and Missouri recruits. To give you an idea at how shady this was take in account that 80% of the population lives in a 45 minute radius on the eastern border of the state and there are like 30 counties in the middle and western regions of the state with less than 1k people in overall population. Some counties have less than 600 people in it. So an overwhelming number of those scholarships were going to Omaha and Lincoln kids. Once that practice ended Nebraska’s relevancy was done.
So is that why Tom Osborne retired after 1997?? I know he was 60 but it seems like he could have coached for another 3-5 years...how did he even feel about the Big 8 becoming the Big 12 and losing their annual rivalry with Oklahoma??

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
So is that why Tom Osborne retired after 1997?? I know he was 60 but it seems like he could have coached for another 3-5 years...how did he even feel about the Big 8 becoming the Big 12 and losing their annual rivalry with Oklahoma??
Possibly, but I think he wanted to go out on a high note and didn’t think he could compete with the Florida, California, and Texas schools long term. And the BCS was going to be less forgiving for bad schedules. Keep in mind the 97 year was almost pure luck.

I also think he saw thewriting on the wall with the Big 12 Championship format in that he was probably going to have to go through Oklahoma and Texas every year

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
If Bowden didn't do anything else, he taught his players to play with a chip on their shoulders.
While FSU was earning their bones, Daddy Bowden would play just about anybody.
Bowden won some big games. (He lost some big games too)
All in all, he was a good coach. Maybe lax on discipline, but good with the Xs and Os.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Selma - say more on this "unique in-state setup" at Nebraska.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
81 covered it pretty good. But there were two other things in addition to that:

1) the walk on program

This began in 1973 (conveniently Obsorne's first year) in response to the NCAA reducing the number of schollies each school could offer. Decent enough players would walk on at Nebraska at their own expense and hope to make the team. There are two problems now with this that weren't so visible before: a) Title IX means they have to do this with women for their sports; b) the cost of college has skyrocketed, meaning that fewer po' farm boys can do it.

2) Prop 48

How big was this?

Basically, the Big 8 permitted Prop 48 players.....the SWC didn't......and when they merged into the Big 12, the way the JR Ewings deep sixed Nebraska was to impose this rule on them. Plus another rule passed: players went from the minimum standard of at least 11 core curriculum courses (with an 800 on the SAT) and a 2.0 to 13 courses and a 2.5 GPA.

In the postgame interview after Nebraska pulverized Florida in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl, Osborne said this (with the first year of Big 12 play just eight months away):

"What we're saying is that players who qualified last year [under Prop 48] might wind up in junior college. We don't have a lot of junior colleges in Nebraska, and Texas does."

So what does he do?

He hangs around while he still has that talent accumulated under the old rules for 1996 and 1997 and wins another title.

And then he rides off into the sunset......and so, too, does Nebraska.

I reiterate - a good coach......NOT an all-time great.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.