NCAA Rules Committee Survey

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
There seem to be too many rules to accurately enforce. I wish they would change the replay rule to one challenge per half and cut out all of the extra replays. Have clear and easily definable rules and let the officials call the games. Give the coaches one challenge per half for those big officiating errors and move on.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Here's a rule I'd like to see but will never happen.

I'm actually fine with the 15-yard pass interference rather than the NFL spot foul with one exception: I think in the final two minutes of a half that it should be a spot foul. As it is now, there's no real penalty to that situation.

Let's say I'm down by 8. A guy breaks clear and my QB throws the bomb. A defender from behind can just wipe him out right there, leg tackle him before the ball gets there - the defender is trading a game-winning touchdown for "well, we and they get another chance." Something similar to this occurred in the 1987 Alabama-Florida game late. I think that was the first year of the new 15-yard rule rather than spot foul.

There are too many commercials now. It's commercials and ad time that have made the games longer NOT delays by teams on the field.

Lovthablues

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2018
Alexandria, Al
"There are too many commercials now. It's commercials and ad time that have made the games longer NOT delays by teams on the field." I believe a better rule would be to limit the number and length of TV timeouts!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've been doing NCAA for 10 years and I don't remember it changing in that time. Not sure before that. Currently it's illegal for everyone but the runner. In HS rules it's illegal for anyone. I don't know what the NFL rule is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Legal, and common, in the NFL...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This is a rule on which I have a lot of sympathy for the officials. In baseball when a fielder is throwing to first base, the official watches the base and listens for the slap of the ball in the glove to call the batter out opr safe at first.
How on earth can an official look for a lineman downfield and note when the ball is thrown (which, by definition is behind the line of scrimmage)? That is asking a lot of any human being. Now, with recall, officials upstairs can look at where the lineman was when the ball was thrown.
The upshot of this rule will be to stop lineman not three yards upfield, but five or eight yards upfield (which they are getting away with regularly nowadays).

This one I like.
I do also. At the same time, I think it would be easier to call with only one yard leeway, as opposed to three...

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
These are good examples of why the rules are fluid. The game changes and the athletes change so the rules need to adjust to accommodate. As with any committee they sometimes do head scratching things, but in general I see the logic in most changes.

Indy, I respectfully disagree with this position. The game changes because the rules are fluid. New rules require different athletes. Thus, we have gone from 260 lb. linebackers to 225 lb speedsters. Those same guys were available 10 years ago but were not needed. Every rule change that has been made in the past 50 years for college and NFL has been made with the intent of "making the game more exciting". Translated, that means they want to attempt to make the games more competitive regardless of coaching and level of athlete.

In 1992, games involving D1 teams averaged averaged just under 46 points per game. In 2016, games averaged a little over 54 points; so basically one touchdown per game. However, during the same time period average margin of victory went from just over 15 points per game to just over 5. That didn't happen because the football got any better.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"There are too many commercials now. It's commercials and ad time that have made the games longer NOT delays by teams on the field." I believe a better rule would be to limit the number and length of TV timeouts!
Every time the rules are changed to "speed up the game," all that happens is that ads expand into the freed-up time...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Indy, I respectfully disagree with this position. The game changes because the rules are fluid. New rules require different athletes. Thus, we have gone from 260 lb. linebackers to 225 lb speedsters. Those same guys were available 10 years ago but were not needed. Every rule change that has been made in the past 50 years for college and NFL has been made with the intent of "making the game more exciting". Translated, that means they want to attempt to make the games more competitive regardless of coaching and level of athlete.

In 1992, games involving D1 teams averaged averaged just under 46 points per game. In 2016, games averaged a little over 54 points; so basically one touchdown per game. However, during the same time period average margin of victory went from just over 15 points per game to just over 5. That didn't happen because the football got any better.
AMEN, and CAN I get a witness?

I'd also like a 1-yard tolerance for ineligible receiver downfield. Every gimmick offense ever invented would immediately be thrown in the trash heap. No Gus. No Chip Kelley. No basketball on grass.

The full banjeaux for you, sir.

Last edited:

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Interesting results from the rules committee:
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-rules-com ... 24732.html
In summary:

• Receiving team fair catches a free kick inside the 25, the ball will be placed at the 25
  • Blocks below the waist by the offense must be within 5 yards of the LOS (similar to defense)
  • Play clock set to 40 after a TD and free kick
  • PF/UNS on field goals can be enforced on succeeding kickoff
  • Leaping clarified to mimic the punt shield - don't leap over an opponent; not sure about landing on any player - assume not
  • 10-second run off if replay determines clock wouldn't have been stopped if ruled correctly (under 1 minute)
Most of these were on the survey. These are not final as the oversight committee still has to approve them. There will be plenty of feedback between now and the April meeting.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Receiving team fair catches a free kick inside the 25, the ball will be placed at the 25
Ridiculous - might as well just go ahead do away with kickoffs. It's obviously what they're aiming for.

It's a shame the NCAA has to constantly screw with the rules. Some of them I get (player safety), but most times they're materially changing the game and not for the better.

I can't wait for the day the P5 teams walk away from the joke that is the NCAA. They literally cannot do anything well.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that if a team calls for a fair catch inside the 20, the ball should be placed at the 20, not the 25. Essentially trading 5 yards for the fair catch. Both teams benefit and the sport is safer.

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
Ridiculous - might as well just go ahead do away with kickoffs. It's obviously what they're aiming for.

It's a shame the NCAA has to constantly screw with the rules. Some of them I get (player safety), but most times they're materially changing the game and not for the better.

I can't wait for the day the P5 teams walk away from the joke that is the NCAA. They literally cannot do anything well.
I agree with that. Sometimes I wonder if they just feel like they HAVE to make rule changes every year. To me some of the changes lately like targeting for instance has taken away from the game, IMHO . If a player leads with his helmet he is likely to hurt himself as much as the ball carrier so why would he do that intentionally?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm generally not in favor of any rule that shortens the game! And I agree that if a rule for such is passed that TV will add more ad time.

I'm totally in favor of enforcing the not leaping LOS rule and no hurdling for offensive players. I'm generally not in favor of some of these "player safety" rules, but those two are legit and will probably save some people having some serious neck/paralysis injuries.

And bring back the Defensive PI to a spot foul.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
I agree with that. Sometimes I wonder if they just feel like they HAVE to make rule changes every year. To me some of the changes lately like targeting for instance has taken away from the game, IMHO . If a player leads with his helmet he is likely to hurt himself as much as the ball carrier so why would he do that intentionally?
Leading with the head and leaping are mostly protecting the player committing the foul. Hurdling is another example that would do that but it doesn't sound like that passed the committee this year. They are trying to protect the players from themselves.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Interesting results from the rules committee:
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-rules-com ... 24732.html
In summary:

• Receiving team fair catches a free kick inside the 25, the ball will be placed at the 25

• Forgive me, as I am slightly sleep deprived at the moment, but does this mean that if team A kicks the ball off, it goes to the 5, where team B catches it by calling a fair catch at the 5 yard line, the ball automatically moves to the 25? If so that is a ridiculous idea. It completely eliminates the concept of strategic kicking.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yeah, if I have a great punter who can pin a team inside the 20, why does that team get a gain in yardage just for fair catching the ball? I assume this is for a free kick after a safety. Of course, I don't really remember any team ever fair catching that ball.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, if I have a great punter who can pin a team inside the 20, why does that team get a gain in yardage just for fair catching the ball? I assume this is for a free kick after a safety. Of course, I don't really remember any team ever fair catching that ball.
It would not apply to punts.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
It would not apply to punts.
Correct. Free kicks only. That would be kickoffs in fan terms (scrimmage kicks are punts, extra points and field goals) and include a kick after a safety. I doubt anyone would kick it that far and if they did I doubt someone would fair catch it.

I think you'll still see directional kicks. In order for it to be a fair catch the returner has to catch it in the air. And teams will still choose to return it thinking they'll get beyond the 25. They do it today with kicks in the end zone. I would expect some "touchbacks" this way but I bet half the kicks are still returned.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Correct. Free kicks only. That would be kickoffs in fan terms (scrimmage kicks are punts, extra points and field goals) and include a kick after a safety. I doubt anyone would kick it that far and if they did I doubt someone would fair catch it.

I think you'll still see directional kicks. In order for it to be a fair catch the returner has to catch it in the air. And teams will still choose to return it thinking they'll get beyond the 25. They do it today with kicks in the end zone. I would expect some "touchbacks" this way but I bet half the kicks are still returned.

I agree, but I also agree with RJ above that, if you call a FC, you should get it at the 20, not the 25. There has to be some penalty for foregoing a return...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.