NCAA Rules Committee Survey

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
The NCAA rules committee is seeking input from coaches, administrators, and officials prior to the rules committee meeting. This usually is an indication of the types of things they are going to discuss. Most of these will not pass, but they are least discussing them. Here's something good to chew on during the offseason. Based on another discussion I think you will enjoy the potential rule change on adding ineligible downfield to replay. I'm not a huge fan of replay getting involved in judgment fouls, but this may be a good one to get since it can be tricky to get on the field.

What is your opinion about the previous rules changes below?

• It is a foul if a defensive player runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps or hurdles in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try.
  • The Horse Collar tackle now includes grabbing the nameplate area.

What is your opinion about the points of emphasis below?

• Halftime intermission is 20 minutes and is not extended beyond that time.
  • Coaches may not leave the coaching box to protest officiating decisions.

NEW RULES TOPICS/EMPHASIS
Share your opinion on the following:

• After an official signals a Touchdown, the 40 second play clock will start for the Try.
  • After a punt or free kick where there is no subsequent media time-out, the 40 second play clock will start for the next snap.
  • The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.
  • After an incomplete pass, the clock stops. When the ball is ready for play, the clock will start on the referee’s signal, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would start on the snap. (Note: This rule would mirror the out-of-bounds rules.)
  • The committee should allow, for Conference Games only, the experimental use of technology for Coach to Player communications.
  • Under current rules, hurdling is illegal EXCEPT by the ball carrier. It should also be illegal for the ball carrier to hurdle an opponent.
  • Under current rules, blindside blocks are legal unless the action is targeting. Blindside blocks would remain legal only if forcible contact was delivered with open hands and extended arms or if the block was a screen type block without delivering forcible contact.
  • Based on AFCA feedback, blocking below the waist in the open field on scrimmage downs should be illegal, just as blocking below the waist currently is during kick downs and after a change of possession. Should the committee consider making blocking below the waist illegal when the block occurs 10 yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage on scrimmage plays?
  • The committee should consider not allowing symbols, words, numbers or logos on the mouthpiece with the exception of a single school, manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal label or trademark.
  • The committee should change the Instant Replay rules to allow the IR Official to review this foul only if the call was made on the field. This would be paired with a modification to the officiating mechanics that would state that “when in question” it is a foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield.
  • The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Defensive Pass Interference a Spot Foul even if the foul occurs more than 15 yards from the previous spot.
  • The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Offensive Pass Interference a 10 yard penalty from the previous spot.
  • Under current rules, it is illegal for the receiving team to form a three man wedge. Should the committee consider making a two man wedge illegal?
  • Under current rules, the replay official shall review every play of the game to determine if a stop is warranted. In order to potentially reduce the number of replay stops, the committee should allow replay to review all scoring plays and plays involving a change of possession, and every play inside the last two minutes of each half and during overtime. The head coach may initiate a challenge at any time within the game by utilizing a team timeout. If the challenge is successful, the head coach retains the challenge.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
1. After an official signals a Touchdown, the 40 second play clock will start for the Try.
Answer: Won't pass. Clock will be at 10 or less when they are set to kick the ball.

2. The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.
Answer: They need to pass that. It would benefit CFB, especially when Teams are up and are playing defense and force Offense to burn more timeouts or call plays faster. NFL does that.

3. The committee should allow, for Conference Games only, the experimental use of technology for Coach to Player communications.
Answer: I would be okay with that, but instead of conference game, why not make it for non-conference game. Good time to try that against FBS teams.
4. Blocking below waist: Enough said. I agree with it.
5. The committee should consider not allowing symbols, words, numbers or logos on the mouthpiece with the exception of a single school, manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal label or trademark.
Answer: Butch Jones is that you?

6. The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Defensive Pass Interference a Spot Foul even if the foul occurs more than 15 yards from the previous spot.
Answer: Look at the Auburn game. teams will try and get PI on purpose knowing it'll cost few yards instead of the spotting the ball on the play where it occurred. This rule needs to pass.

Other rules I didn't mention....... I think it makes no difference and has little to no impact on the game.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
The way it reads, to me, is that illegal man downfield was already reviewable, and now it only is if it gets called first. I wasn't aware that it had previously been reviewable. If so, I want to keep that, and not make it dependent on the refs throwing the flag. We have been burned by far too many plays like that by Auburn, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma(I think) for me to want to allow the refs to just ignore it as they always have.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
The way it reads, to me, is that illegal man downfield was already reviewable, and now it only is if it gets called first. I wasn't aware that it had previously been reviewable. If so, I want to keep that, and not make it dependent on the refs throwing the flag. We have been burned by far too many plays like that by Auburn, Ole Miss, and Oklahoma(I think) for me to want to allow the refs to just ignore it as they always have.
It's not reviewable today. If this is a proposal it would be to make it reviewable only if it was flagged on the field. They wouldn't let replay create a foul. The "when in question" part of the mechanics now say to NOT CALL IT. This is saying to change that to CALL IT and let replay determine if the lineman was more than 3 yards beyond the neutral zone when the pass was released. It's tricky sometimes to get on the field because you have to be able to see the lineman and the quarterback at the same time and also know exactly how far the lineman was away from the neutral zone when the pass was released. This is probably one of the more commonly missed fouls both ways.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I once asked an official if a penalty could be called by the review booth even
If it wasn't called on the field. There are only a few that can be.

Targeting is one, illegal participation is another. I think maybe lined up offside might be. And there are a couple of others. But not many.

And I specifically asked about ineligible receiver downfield. Nope.

Bamachamps

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 14, 2017
The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.

This would be great! Finally a rule to help defense. It would limit the number of plays our defense has to face each game. But definitely important to stop clock 2 minutes

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's not reviewable today. If this is a proposal it would be to make it reviewable only if it was flagged on the field. They wouldn't let replay create a foul. The "when in question" part of the mechanics now say to NOT CALL IT. This is saying to change that to CALL IT and let replay determine if the lineman was more than 3 yards beyond the neutral zone when the pass was released. It's tricky sometimes to get on the field because you have to be able to see the lineman and the quarterback at the same time and also know exactly how far the lineman was away from the neutral zone when the pass was released. This is probably one of the more commonly missed fouls both ways.
I believe there are far more missed no-calls than improper calls...

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.
This would be great! Finally a rule to help defense. It would limit the number of plays our defense has to face each game. But definitely important to stop clock 2 minutes
It would cut a few plays from each game, but not significant. The timing rules are an attempt to shorten the length of the game. All these timing rules would help some, but the two primary reasons the games have gotten so long are TV timeouts and replay stoppages. Our D3 games average about 2:40-2:45 while the D1 games they are trying to address are often at least 3:30+. We have the same number of scores, incomplete passes, turnovers, and out of bounds plays, but our games are on average 45 minutes shorter. TV time outs and replay stoppages are the only differences that affect that.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
It would cut a few plays from each game, but not significant. The timing rules are an attempt to shorten the length of the game. All these timing rules would help some, but the two primary reasons the games have gotten so long are TV timeouts and replay stoppages. Our D3 games average about 2:40-2:45 while the D1 games they are trying to address are often at least 3:30+. We have the same number of scores, incomplete passes, turnovers, and out of bounds plays, but our games are on average 45 minutes shorter. TV time outs and replay stoppages are the only differences that affect that.
I sincerely hope they do not change the clock rules in the way proposed. Great comebacks take time. If they run the clock after an incomplete pass the leader has almost no motive to run instead of pass and the trailing team has less motive to pass instead of run. It has always been a part of the game strategy. Also, if they do make a change, it should be only the first half (all of it, including the last two minutes, which a lot of teams give up on anyway) and leave the whole second half as it has always been. If a team is uncompetitive, we need a mercy rule. We don't need to make great games less common.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Just look at the difference between CBS games and ESPN games. It feels like CBS games are at least 15 minutes longer because they take long TV timeouts after EVERY series. ESPN does not take them after 3 & outs many times & the average length of the ESPN timeouts feels shorter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddsmit

Suspended
Jan 3, 2003
Pensacola, FL
This one makes no sense to me, it takes away from the competiveness of the game. How many players have been hurt block a field goal? :

It is a foul if a defensive player runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps or hurdles in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
2. The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.
Answer: They need to pass that. It would benefit CFB, especially when Teams are up and are playing defense and force Offense to burn more timeouts or call plays faster. NFL does that.
Not sure we would have won the Title game this year if this rule had been in place...If you are behind 2 scores in the 4th quarter -- your odds of coming back just got shrunk -- especially if they pass the one that starts the clock after an incomplete pass too....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Not sure we would have won the Title game this year if this rule had been in place...If you are behind 2 scores in the 4th quarter -- your odds of coming back just got shrunk -- especially if they pass the one that starts the clock after an incomplete pass too....
Yeah, but you would have won it last year - even trade.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
This one makes no sense to me, it takes away from the competiveness of the game. How many players have been hurt block a field goal? :

It is a foul if a defensive player runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps or hurdles in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try.
The rule was to prevent the propensity of layers starting to time the jumps over the line on free kicks. There were some where players got through cleanly and didn't hurdle because they went between players, but I think there were a few that got flipped over and injured. They wanted to prevent anyone from getting that but they went beyond that not allowing a player to run up and jump from behind the neutral zone either. If you were going to jump to block a kick you had to be statuary and jump straight up (allowance for taking one step to jump).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
• It is a foul if a defensive player runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps or hurdles in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try.
o Not sure what this means so no opinion
• The Horse Collar tackle now includes grabbing the nameplate area.
o No. I thought the horse collar rule was a gross overaction to 2 injuries in the NFL that occurred in one year. Never seen injuries from horse collar tackle in 40 yrs of watching football prior to that.

• Halftime intermission is 20 minutes and is not extended beyond that time.
o Yes
• Coaches may not leave the coaching box to protest officiating decisions.
o Meh

• After an official signals a Touchdown, the 40 second play clock will start for the Try.
o NO
• After a punt or free kick where there is no subsequent media time-out, the 40 second play clock will start for the next snap.
o NO
• The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.
o NO.
• After an incomplete pass, the clock stops. When the ball is ready for play, the clock will start on the referee’s signal, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would start on the snap. (Note: This rule would mirror the out-of-bounds rules.)
o NO
• The committee should allow, for Conference Games only, the experimental use of technology for Coach to Player communications.
o NO
• Under current rules, hurdling is illegal EXCEPT by the ball carrier. It should also be illegal for the ball carrier to hurdle an opponent.
o No. Define hurdling? A catch isn’t very well defined, so this is going to be confusing, too.
• Under current rules, blindside blocks are legal unless the action is targeting. Blindside blocks would remain legal only if forcible contact was delivered with open hands and extended arms or if the block was a screen type block without delivering forcible contact.
o Not sure
• Based on AFCA feedback, blocking below the waist in the open field on scrimmage downs should be illegal, just as blocking below the waist currently is during kick downs and after a change of possession. Should the committee consider making blocking below the waist illegal when the block occurs 10 yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage on scrimmage plays?
o Yes
• The committee should consider not allowing symbols, words, numbers or logos on the mouthpiece with the exception of a single school, manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal label or trademark.
o NO
• The committee should change the Instant Replay rules to allow the IR Official to review this foul only if the call was made on the field. This would be paired with a modification to the officiating mechanics that would state that “when in question” it is a foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield.
o Yes
• The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Defensive Pass Interference a Spot Foul even if the foul occurs more than 15 yards from the previous spot.
o NO. There should absolutely should never be any penalty worse than a personal foul. NFL has this wrong.
• The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Offensive Pass Interference a 10 yard penalty from the previous spot.
o No
• Under current rules, it is illegal for the receiving team to form a three man wedge. Should the committee consider making a two man wedge illegal?
o No
• Under current rules, the replay official shall review every play of the game to determine if a stop is warranted. In order to potentially reduce the number of replay stops, the committee should allow replay to review all scoring plays and plays involving a change of possession, and every play inside the last two minutes of each half and during overtime. The head coach may initiate a challenge at any time within the game by utilizing a team timeout. If the challenge is successful, the head coach retains the challenge.
o Yes

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
•It is a foul if a defensive player runs forward from beyond the neutral zone and leaps or hurdles in an obvious attempt to block a field goal or try.
oNot sure what this means so no opinion
•The Horse Collar tackle now includes grabbing the nameplate area.
oNo. I thought the horse collar rule was a gross overaction to 2 injuries in the NFL that occurred in one year. Never seen injuries from horse collar tackle in 40 yrs of watching football prior to that.

•Halftime intermission is 20 minutes and is not extended beyond that time.
oYes
•Coaches may not leave the coaching box to protest officiating decisions.
o Meh

•After an official signals a Touchdown, the 40 second play clock will start for the Try.
o NO
•After a punt or free kick where there is no subsequent media time-out, the 40 second play clock will start for the next snap.
oNO
•The clock will continue to run after a first down is gained in the field of play, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would stop when the ball is dead and start on the referee’s signal.
oNO.
•After an incomplete pass, the clock stops. When the ball is ready for play, the clock will start on the referee’s signal, except in the last two minutes of each half when the clock would start on the snap. (Note: This rule would mirror the out-of-bounds rules.)
oNO
•The committee should allow, for Conference Games only, the experimental use of technology for Coach to Player communications.
oNO
•Under current rules, hurdling is illegal EXCEPT by the ball carrier. It should also be illegal for the ball carrier to hurdle an opponent.
oNo. Define hurdling? A catch isn’t very well defined, so this is going to be confusing, too.
•Under current rules, blindside blocks are legal unless the action is targeting. Blindside blocks would remain legal only if forcible contact was delivered with open hands and extended arms or if the block was a screen type block without delivering forcible contact.
oNot sure
•Based on AFCA feedback, blocking below the waist in the open field on scrimmage downs should be illegal, just as blocking below the waist currently is during kick downs and after a change of possession. Should the committee consider making blocking below the waist illegal when the block occurs 10 yards or more beyond the line of scrimmage on scrimmage plays?
oYes
•The committee should consider not allowing symbols, words, numbers or logos on the mouthpiece with the exception of a single school, manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal label or trademark.
oNO
•The committee should change the Instant Replay rules to allow the IR Official to review this foul only if the call was made on the field. This would be paired with a modification to the officiating mechanics that would state that “when in question” it is a foul for Ineligible Receiver downfield.
oYes
•The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Defensive Pass Interference a Spot Foul even if the foul occurs more than 15 yards from the previous spot.
oNO. There should absolutely should never be any penalty worse than a personal foul. NFL has this wrong.
•The committee should consider making the penalty enforcement for Offensive Pass Interference a 10 yard penalty from the previous spot.
oNo
•Under current rules, it is illegal for the receiving team to form a three man wedge. Should the committee consider making a two man wedge illegal?
oNo
•Under current rules, the replay official shall review every play of the game to determine if a stop is warranted. In order to potentially reduce the number of replay stops, the committee should allow replay to review all scoring plays and plays involving a change of possession, and every play inside the last two minutes of each half and during overtime. The head coach may initiate a challenge at any time within the game by utilizing a team timeout. If the challenge is successful, the head coach retains the challenge.
oYes
Wonder what that last rule will do to all those targeting calls that are made from the booth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Hurdling has been defined for years so it's understood. Hurdling by anyone but the runner is already illegal. This would just add them. The definition is (paraphrasing) jumping over an opponent leading with your foot or knee and the opponent is only contacting the ground with one or both feet. The knee/foot part is to differentiate the guy dives head first over a pile. The last part allows any player to hurdle an opponent who is touching the ground with his hand, foot, butt, elbow, anything other than his foot. The general thought of hurdling rules is the danger of the runner kicking an opponent while airborne but more the danger of the runner getting flipped head over heels and landing on his head or neck. We always see highlights of the successful hurdles where a runner makes an amazing play. We don't see highlights of the flips. I'm not sure if the NFL has a hurdling rule, but NCAA and NFHS ban it for any player other than the runner in NCAA and has for a long time. This is not a new discussion.

The last one has no impact on replay involved in targeting. That doesn't mean they won't change something there, but it wasn't a part of the survey. I believe they made targeting an automatic ejection to make it punitive enough to get players to change the behavior of blowing up an opponent high, but I'm not sure how much the behavior has changed. There are some hits that are probably less dangerous than the intended hits that result in a foul so I know there has been some chatter to remove the auto ejection part (I.e. If replay only rules "stands" the foul will stand but the player won't be ejected).

These are good examples of why the rules are fluid. The game changes and the athletes change so the rules need to adjust to accommodate. As with any committee they sometimes do head scratching things, but in general I see the logic in most changes.

bamatex82

All-SEC
Oct 5, 2001
Greenville, TX
Hurdling has been defined for years so it's understood. Hurdling by anyone but the runner is already illegal. This would just add them. The definition is (paraphrasing) jumping over an opponent leading with your foot or knee and the opponent is only contacting the ground with one or both feet. The knee/foot part is to differentiate the guy dives head first over a pile. The last part allows any player to hurdle an opponent who is touching the ground with his hand, foot, butt, elbow, anything other than his foot. The general thought of hurdling rules is the danger of the runner kicking an opponent while airborne but more the danger of the runner getting flipped head over heels and landing on his head or neck. We always see highlights of the successful hurdles where a runner makes an amazing play. We don't see highlights of the flips. I'm not sure if the NFL has a hurdling rule, but NCAA and NFHS ban it for any player other than the runner in NCAA and has for a long time. This is not a new discussion.
That makes sense. Wasn't hurdling illegal before? Seems long time ago it used to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
That makes sense. Wasn't hurdling illegal before? Seems long time ago it used to be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
I've been doing NCAA for 10 years and I don't remember it changing in that time. Not sure before that. Currently it's illegal for everyone but the runner. In HS rules it's illegal for anyone. I don't know what the NFL rule is.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I believe there are far more missed no-calls than improper calls...
This is a rule on which I have a lot of sympathy for the officials. In baseball when a fielder is throwing to first base, the official watches the base and listens for the slap of the ball in the glove to call the batter out opr safe at first.
How on earth can an official look for a lineman downfield and note when the ball is thrown (which, by definition is behind the line of scrimmage)? That is asking a lot of any human being. Now, with recall, officials upstairs can look at where the lineman was when the ball was thrown.
The upshot of this rule will be to stop lineman not three yards upfield, but five or eight yards upfield (which they are getting away with regularly nowadays).

This one I like.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.