Saban & Bryant comparison (image from the Tidesports Facebook page)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I love Coach Bryant...watched him during the 70's and was devastated when he died the day before my 13th birthday...but when you compare the time coached and numbers, it's really hard to not go ahead and say CNS has accomplished more.

And, if CNS coaches another 5-7 years, I don't think there will even be a debate (at least among most Bama fans).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The debate really is over. You now have to beat one of the four best teams even to get into the title game. One pick play properly called or just a play going differently - ONE PLAY - and Saban has seven and we're aiming for a four-peat next year.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
137 wins in 11 years, WOW!*. I remember watching Texas and USC in 2006 and thinking I wish we could just make the title game. When we hired Saban, I though we might win a few SEC titles and one national championship in 8-10 years (Based on what I saw during his time at LSU). I never envisioned the run like we're on right now. I could not even have imagined Bama accomplishing half of what they have in the past 11 years. Like someone said earlier in the thread, we are truly blessed and I would add spoiled, haha.

*Counting vacated wins.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I wish that during Coach Bryant's era, we could have seen all the games on TV like today. We listened to all of them on radio back then (only a few were on TV). I can't say anyone is greater than Coach Bryant. In the same respect, I can't say anyone is greater than Coach Saban. We are privileged to have the two best of all time at Alabama.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Love the article! Wow!

The thing about genius is that it’s not intimidated by greatness in others. The reasons are probably better argued by psychologists than journalists, but logic indicates the why is due to the comfort genius enjoys in its security of its place. That is, it recognizes its brilliance and isn’t cowed by others who achieve at a high level. The lion doesn’t concern itself with the opinion of sheep. So those of a certain stature actually feel more at ease in the company of others of the same status.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Slightly surprised Suttles didn't deal with CNS's flirtation with Texas...like Bryant did with the Dolphins. He pointed out that CNS did go to Miami, but it's a pivotal part of the story when CNS decided to put down roots and quit rebuilding and start maintaining.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
The question I would ask would be the part that being at Alabama plays in stats.

Could Coach Saban have replicated what he has achieved at Bama had he been elsewhere?

That's a genuine question because I honestly have no idea, only a suspicion that the mystique and allure of Bama has contributed in part to what Coach Saban has been able to achieve here.

If 'Bama' played it's part in attracting the players and even Coach Saban himself then the GOAT debate is pointless, statistically one may show superiority over the other, but without the former would you ever have gotten to enjoy the latter?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.