Hamas co-founder kills self after accidentally shooting self in the face

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
It always amazes me when I hear/read “accidentally shoots him/herself while cleaning a weapon”. More accurate would be “accidentally shoots him/herself while recklessly wiping down a loaded weapon”, if indeed any cleaning was actually being done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It always amazes me when I hear/read “accidentally shoots him/herself while cleaning a weapon”. More accurate would be “accidentally shoots him/herself while recklessly wiping down a loaded weapon”, if indeed any cleaning was actually being done.

I have always wondered, what is the thought process for that? “Ok, I am going to clean my gun, I guess I better load it first.”

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

shooting your self while cleaning/inspecting a gun is never really an accident. it is more an act of irresponsible stupidity.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have always wondered, what is the thought process for that? “Ok, I am going to clean my gun, I guess I better load it first.”
you would be amazed at how many gun afficianados don't know how to properly handle weapons. i imagine a lot of them tut-tut folks for not doing things correctly, using improper terminology, etc

a great example from our great state a while ago

link

An antique .38-caliber pistol accidentally discharged as it was being handled by U.S. Rep. Bob Barr during a reception in his honor. The bullet hit a glass door, and no one was hurt.
Georgia lobbyist Bruce Widener said Tuesday that he had removed the magazine from his 1908 Colt but did not clear the chamber before handing the weapon to Barr, a board member of the National Rifle Association.

Widener said "one of us hit the trigger" just as he gave Barr the gun during Friday's reception at Widener's home.

"Nobody was in any danger. We were handling it safely, except that it was loaded," said Widener,
an independent lobbyist. "I am thankful Bob was careful to always keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction."
the gun didn't accidentally discharge. someone didn't follow safety procedures and unintentionally discharged the weapon.

the widener guy is a moron.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
shooting your self while cleaning/inspecting a gun is never really an accident. it is more an act of irresponsible stupidity.
This.

Also, I've had two different police officers tell me that's what they typically report when they believe it's suicide but have no concrete evidence (such as a suicide note).

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This.

Also, I've had two different police officers tell me that's what they typically report when they believe it's suicide but have no concrete evidence (such as a suicide note).
i should have actually put discharging a gun while cleaning ...

it's one of those things i lump into irresponsible gun handling along with people getting caught with a loaded gun in airport security saying they forgot they were carrying a loaded gun.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Obviously not as lethal but it's the same thing with the alarm clock.

"My alarm didn't go off" USUALLY means:
a) I set it for pm not am (or vice versa if you work nights)
b) you forgot to SET the alarm
c) you forgot to turn to volume on on the alarm

RARELY is it ever "the alarm didn't go off." I'll confess that in the days of digital alarm clocks with a power outage this made a reasonable excuse on occasion.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL

On what I would estimate to be at least 99% of the firearms in existence, if your firearm is in a state where it can possibly set off a munition then you aren't doing it right.

Step one is to unload the weapon.
Step two is to remove the bolt, carrier, cylinder, etc.

The only way it can fire is to skip both of the first two steps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Obviously not as lethal but it's the same thing with the alarm clock.

"My alarm didn't go off" USUALLY means:
a) I set it for pm not am (or vice versa if you work nights)
b) you forgot to SET the alarm
c) you forgot to turn to volume on on the alarm

RARELY is it ever "the alarm didn't go off." I'll confess that in the days of digital alarm clocks with a power outage this made a reasonable excuse on occasion.
What about when you use an alarm app on your phone for your alarm and the app updates overnight which - due to either poor programming and/or over-restrictive app policies - causes the previously set alarm(s) to be deactivated until the app is manually opened?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
What about when you use an alarm app on your phone for your alarm and the app updates overnight which - due to either poor programming and/or over-restrictive app policies - causes the previously set alarm(s) to be deactivated until the app is manually opened?

After that happens the first time then the best thing to do is have a backup.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.