Bama Bball is so confusing

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Yeah, this team has me flummoxed.
Me too.... They can look so bad losing at Ole Miss or at home VS MIZ or UCF one day while looking like a sweet 16 team beating OU at home or UF on the road.

Hopefully they can stay locked in and build on this Tuesday night.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We have a schizo team. It doesn't look like an effort problem...growing pains maybe? Some days they can't get right, some days you better get outta the way.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
its been said several times. it's youth. we have a young team. our best basketball IMO is still ahead of us. as CAJ continues to recruit well, it will mesh with a more experienced team and you will see less of the on/off days. patience will pay off here

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
We have a schizo team. It doesn't look like an effort problem...growing pains maybe? Some days they can't get right, some days you better get outta the way.
Youngest Alabama team ever, I think that's a huge part of it. In the second half against Missouri, they couldn't hit anything, at all. I'm not sure what you attribute that to, but John Petty is kind of the poster boy for this team. You never know when he's going to show up, one game he takes down Auburn, the other he goes 1-8 in a loss. But he's a true freshman, I think that's a big part of it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Youngest Alabama team ever, I think that's a huge part of it. In the second half against Missouri, they couldn't hit anything, at all. I'm not sure what you attribute that to, but John Petty is kind of the poster boy for this team. You never know when he's going to show up, one game he takes down Auburn, the other he goes 1-8 in a loss. But he's a true freshman, I think that's a big part of it.
Next year, we won't be so young, but we'll be without Sexton...

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I don’t see what’s so confusing here. We are the 4th youngest team in the country. We are supremely talented, but we lack on court leadership. That means we have and will continue to play to the level of our opponents. Be grateful that we finally have the talent to beat with anyone in the country, and a coach who more often than not will get out of his own way. This is the most special group of kids we’ve had on the hardwood in a very long time.

As to the Missouri loss, that wasn’t as big of a deal as some acted. That’s a bubble tournament team despite being without one of the top players in the country. They are well coached, and they caught us on an off night. On top of that, our squad looked physically drained having just beaten one of the best teams in the country just a couple of days prior. It was a trap game, and Mizzou took advantage. In no way will that game be held against us by the committee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I wonder if that turns out to be a good or a bad thing. He's kind of like a cheat code, he's capable of amazing things, but he also lets Alabama get away with things they couldn't otherwise.

Depending on who stays or goes, I could see the team overall being better (though perhaps with a bit lower ceiling).

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
3 guys coming in next year that will immediately contribute, especially Butler. I wouldn’t worry too much about next year

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
4 if you count Mack..I dont think losing Sexton is going to hurt as bad as some. we are starting to get quality players in to replace the guys we lose
As a program, we are really getting to a solid position. Like most mentioned, we really have some solid and talented players coming in next season as well and if they by into CAJ's system, we should have another solid run. I'm thinking next year is going to be more like how 2009 was for the football program. Not saying we will win it all next year but if all the right pieces come back, we will be poised for a quality run.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I still think we can improve next year, and I've around to thinking all will not be lost when he leaves, even if this season doesn't pan out (and that remains to be seen as we are very much in the thick of it). I feel this way because of the boost he provided the program by coming here. This is a guy that could have gone anywhere and he chose Alabama. That helped recruiting and will continue to pay dividends down the road, IMO.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I'm not sure everyone understands the utter mess CAJ had on his hands when he walked in the door. Bama basketball was in poor condition.
This is absolutely right. We were just bereft of talent when he got here. If Retin had not been here in year 1, we would have easily lost 20 games. Retin rode the bench during Grant's tenure for some unknown reason. You could not have had a better kid. The 1st scrimmage I saw of him he was doing things no one else on the team could physically do and he never played until we had a ton of injuries. Grant didn't recruit big time players because he just assumed they would not come to Bama. He always had his eye on the Florida job when he was here.

My point is Coach Johnson has done a magnificent job with the hand he was dealt. We are just now beginning to crawl out of the hole Grant dug for us.

If you want to compare us to Auburn remember probably more than half of their roster was recruited by Person's with who knows what incentives to go there. I'll take coach Johnson any day over that used car salesman on the plains. Lets see how Auburn recruits when they have to abide by the rules.

There are still tickets available to Starkvegas tomorrow. Lets have a good showing of Bama fans.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
That's absurd. Because Avery has only coached in the NBA, we shouldn't be patient?

Oh, and are you going to acknowledge the stats posted yesterday or just continue to go by rankings to help your thinking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's absurd to compare Avery Johnson, as a college coach, to Bruce Pearl. Pearl overall record 527-201 (.724 winning %). He's won a DII national championship, took Milwaukee to the Sweet Sixteen, took Tennessee to the NCAA tournament 6 years in a row including 2 Sweet Sixteen appearances and an Elite Eight. Not to mention the turnaround he's produced at AU this year. With that being said I would not want Pearl close to our program and I'm happy with CAJ but don't confuse hype with results. The point of the post you quoted was that there's precedent with Pearl because he's done it before everywhere he's coached. We all think Avery is building something special at Alabama but he's never done it before so that's why there's some trepidation on my part.

IRT the stats I'm not sure what you're referring to. I posted stats for this year and we were bottom third in the league in most of the categories. I didn't come up with those stats or manipulate them. Stats can be subjective so I'm sure you pulled some to support your line of thinking. I don't want to painted into a corner of saying CAJ is a bad coach or that our program is in poor shape. It's clear the program is in better shape then when CAJ took over and that we're on an upward trajectory. That's why the last thing I said was it's fair to let year 3 completely play out and then we have 3 full years of data to assess. I'd rather do that than have a "hot take debate" after every win or loss..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
It's absurd to compare Avery Johnson, as a college coach, to Bruce Pearl. Pearl overall record 527-201 (.724 winning %). He's won a DII national championship, took Milwaukee to the Sweet Sixteen, took Tennessee to the NCAA tournament 6 years in a row including 2 Sweet Sixteen appearances and an Elite Eight. Not to mention the turnaround he's produced at AU this year. With that being said I would not want Pearl close to our program and I'm happy with CAJ but don't confuse hype with results. The point of the post you quoted was that there's precedent with Pearl because he's done it before everywhere he's coached. We all think Avery is building something special at Alabama but he's never done it before so that's why there's some trepidation on my part.
You replied to my original post:
We don't have to look any further than across the state to see why patience is a good idea.
If Bruce has taken 4 years to do well with the resume you posted above, don't you think it's only reasonable to give Avery more time considering the situation he inherited? That was my point with the post.
IRT the stats I'm not sure what you're referring to. I posted stats for this year and we were bottom third in the league in most of the categories. I didn't come up with those stats or manipulate them. Stats can be subjective so I'm sure you pulled some to support your line of thinking. I don't want to painted into a corner of saying CAJ is a bad coach or that our program is in poor shape. It's clear the program is in better shape then when CAJ took over and that we're on an upward trajectory. That's why the last thing I said was it's fair to let year 3 completely play out and then we have 3 full years of data to assess. I'd rather do that than have a "hot take debate" after every win or loss..
Stats here

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
You replied to my original post:

If Bruce has taken 4 years to do well with the resume you posted above, don't you think it's only reasonable to give Avery more time considering the situation he inherited? That was my point with the post.
Right, the patience at AU is justified because of Pearl's history of building a program and then sustaining it. Avery hasn't done that in college before. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be patient but I also think there's a wait and see attitude among most fans. I mean, Grant had some early success and took us to the NCAA tournament in year 3 and I wasn't happy with the program then. To me it was obvious after year 3 with Grant that he wasn't the guy to elevate the program to another level. What you and others are saying are the same things that were repeated early on in the Grant tenure. That ended up being a waste of 6 years. Avery has certainly brought more hype and talent to the program but I want to see the product on the court improve and be more consistent. I think we can all agree on that..

Stats here

Ok, does this make the stats I posted wrong? Those are good comparisons but I was making a simple point that we're bottom third in the league in most categories this year. If a team is bottom third in most statistical categories then there's a lot of room for improvement IRT coaching and players performing better. Unless your point is that the coaching doesn't need to improve I'm not sure what you're arguing..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Ok, does this make the stats I posted wrong? Those are good comparisons but I was making a simple point that we're bottom third in the league in most categories this year. If a team is bottom third in most statistical categories then there's a lot of room for improvement IRT coaching and players performing better. Unless your point is that the coaching doesn't need to improve I'm not sure what you're arguing..
You continue to say there's no improvement. The stats I posted suggests otherwise.

Of course, there's room for improvement. Every team in America can say that unless they're 100% in every shooting category with no turnovers and grabbing every possible rebound.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.