Bama Bball is so confusing

pjhBama

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 3, 2017
This is the most frustrating and infuriating Alabama basketball team in my lifetime. Usually we are either bad or good. This bunch can't figure out what they want to be. Beat Auburn and Beat Oklahoma but lose to Mizzou and Vandy and UCF. They could literally beat any team in the country or lose to any team in the country. They just do not bring the focus, intensity and defense every night.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
This is the most frustrating and infuriating Alabama basketball team in my lifetime. Usually we are either bad or good. This bunch can't figure out what they want to be. Beat Auburn and Beat Oklahoma but lose to Mizzou and Vandy and UCF. They could literally beat any team in the country or lose to any team in the country. They just do not bring the focus, intensity and defense every night.
It's is frustrating, but you must not have lived as long as I have. :)

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Very true. The thing about the loss tonight is when you lose to a average team like this or a Vandy it takes away from the wins over the sooners and the barn. That looked like a huge win Saturday not so much now.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
This loss really hurts. Especially when you know deep down that we are better than this. We aren’t consistent! It reminds me of the feeling I get watching our football team attempt field goals. I can’t even look when we get to the foul line!!! If I was CAJ I’d had them stay after the game and shoot foul shots. There is no excuse for our poor foul shooting. Another thing....we come down the floor and we get an open look and instead of taking the shot we pass the ball to someone who doesn’t have a good shot. We need to step up and play with confidence...what I saw tonight was a bunch of guys that are unsure of themselves. There....I feel better now [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It’s a bad HOME loss to a mediocre Missouri team.
The most frustrating thing for me (outside the inconsistency) is the team’s lack of offensive philosophy. When the team hitting from the perimeter, we look like a top ten team. When we aren’t, it looks like we haven’t a clue as to how to create open shots or good looks.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015
It’s a bad HOME loss to a mediocre Missouri team.
The most frustrating thing for me (outside the inconsistency) is the team’s lack of offensive philosophy. When the team hitting from the perimeter, we look like a top ten team. When we aren’t, it looks like we haven’t a clue as to how to create open shots or good looks.
Agree; at the end of the game it was forced dribble/drive or put up a 3. which we were not hitting. Coach AJ could not seem to get them in to any offensive flow/plays.
Back to the bubble; it will be a darn shame if a team with this much raw talent can't make it in and Sexton is one and done.

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
While CAJ is a HUGE upgrade to Grant, I don’t see him as someone who will move us to the top tier. As a Mavs season ticket holder I watched him make some really bonehead decisions in the NBA finals blowing a 2-0 lead and then following that up by being a #1 seed the next year and losing to a BAD Golden St team in the first round. There is a reason Rick Carlisle won an NBA title with the Mavs.

With our schedule coming up, we are likely an NIT team unless we can steal one on the road VS AU, KY or UF AND win out at home. I just don’t see that happening. I hope I am wrong...

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
Agree; at the end of the game it was forced dribble/drive or put up a 3. which we were not hitting. Coach AJ could not seem to get them in to any offensive flow/plays.
Back to the bubble; it will be a darn shame if a team with this much raw talent can't make it in and Sexton is one and done.
Sexton is a guaranteed one and done. He’d be a fool to come back and risk injury. He is a top 10 pick.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Maybe they don't have any? I didn't watch last night, but I really didn't see any during what I watched of the UO game. I just don't see how a team doesn't play to a standard, instead of to their opponent?

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Maybe they don't have any? I didn't watch last night, but I really didn't see any during what I watched of the UO game. I just don't see how a team doesn't play to a standard, instead of to their opponent?
Demonstrated lack of ability playing "up" to an opponent - up as in height. Can't defend it, obviously, and any opposition tallness or toughness inside, 'Bama's offense is no-go and dramatically no flow but for a (usually) wayward barraging of threes.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
What’s concerning is this showed everyone what it takes to beat us. We had no answer to them cutting off driving lanes. It was like a wall inside!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What’s concerning is this showed everyone what it takes to beat us. We had no answer to them cutting off driving lanes. It was like a wall inside!

That's been the formula all season. Arizona and Texas showed it.

Alabama was abysmal from behind the arc last night, which allowed Missouri to continue to clog the lane. They didn't have to spread out. That's why John Petty needs to become more consistent. When he makes a few 3's, the defense has to defend the arc. That opens the lanes for Sexton, Dazon, and company.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'm not a basketball guy. I watch, but I never played organized BBall so my understanding of the game is pretty limited. But when a team is capable of beating anyone on a good day and capable of losing to any team on a bad day, in sports and in life, that usually comes down to poor fundamentals.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
But when a team is capable of beating anyone on a good day and capable of losing to any team on a bad day, in sports and in life, that usually comes down to poor fundamentals.
Indeed. Poor free-throw shooting. Turnovers. Boxing out (or lack thereof) .... Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Indeed. Poor free-throw shooting. Turnovers. Boxing out (or lack thereof) .... Fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals
I played until Junior High. I wished I would have played further. It was the only sport I was actually decent at. Anyway, these were drilled into us every single practice. Especially boxing out and free throws. Just having played that long, it infuriates me watching Alabama. It and the poor state of ncaa officiating is why I just don't join in on game threads. I'd get suspended.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We have a young team, poor fundamentals and inconsistent performance. We're in year 3 of CAJ's tenure. How does the program improve from this point? This is as much raw talent as we've had in a long time so now the reason we're losing is youth. Next year, when Sexton and possibly others leave, we'll be more experienced but less talented. I guess that's just the life of being an Alabama basketball supporter. Always waiting on next year..

Last edited:

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
We have a young team, poor fundamentals and inconsistent performance. We're in year 3 of CAJ's tenure. How does the program improve from this point? I'm not sure I'm to the point of wanting to fire CAJ yet but what's the path for improvement? This is as much raw talent as we've had in a long time so now the reason we're losing is youth. Next year, when Sexton and possibly others leave, we'll be more experienced but less talented. I guess that's just the life of being an Alabama basketball supporter. Always waiting on next year..
Not sure how we are more experienced next year. Especially if Ingram, Key, Sexton, Petty and Hall all leave. Our recruits coming in are no better than the group who could leave earlier. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Avery go back to the NBA if he is able to get us into the tourney.

He won’t but, Sexton would benefit from one more year IMO. However, being a top 10 pick, you have to go for the money. Even if he is a bust, he will have $$$ to last him if he is smart with it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not sure how we are more experienced next year. Especially if Ingram, Key, Sexton, Petty and Hall all leave. Our recruits coming in are no better than the group who could leave earlier. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Avery go back to the NBA if he is able to get us into the tourney.

He won’t but, Sexton would benefit from one more year IMO. However, being a top 10 pick, you have to go for the money. Even if he is a bust, he will have $$$ to last him if he is smart with it.
Who on earth is putting that idea out? No way all of them go pro.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.