Link: Ex-Alabama Coach Calls Radio Crew 'Idiots,' Rips ESPN Analysts in Hilarious Segment

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Coach isn't wrong. Our crowds play down to the opposition just the same as the team does.

I agree with Lance when he notes that it's hard to make it to an 8 pm tipoff when you're unsure of what you'll see on the court, but there are over 100,000 people plus students in the Tuscaloosa area alone. They could make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
Officiating really affects the flow of the game and nothing takes the crowd out like FT after FT. I really think nccam needs to go to four quarters like ncaaw, so the team fouls re-set every quarter resulting in less time in bonus.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not sure I agree with him. The crowd can, and should, make a difference. I agree with that. But the team should never depend on it. The crowd is naturally going to feed off the team's performance. But the team are the ones actually on the court, playing the game. It's got to come from within.

It sounded to me like he started off adamant that the crowd was responsible for the team's poor play. He clarified and back off from that some, though.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm not sure I agree with him. The crowd can, and should, make a difference. I agree with that. But the team should never depend on it. The crowd is naturally going to feed off the team's performance. But the team are the ones actually on the court, playing the game. It's got to come from within.

It sounded to me like he started off adamant that the crowd was responsible for the team's poor play. He clarified and back off from that some, though.
It all works together.

Good play leads to more fans attending.

More fans should mean louder gym.

That being said, home court advantage is from the fans. Even with poor play, some places just have great home court advantage because the fans stay in the game.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
This has been a problem for almost 50 years.

A reminder: C.M. punched out in 1980 when his kids beat Top 5 Kentucky and LSU, back to back ON THE ROAD!, only to play to a half empty house at their first home game back.

We’ve had bursts of good attendance, but the critical mass of support has never existed, which the erratic attendance numbers have always shown.

The crowd for Oklahoma influenced the outcome. But that crowd in Tuscaloosa is like the Super-moon. It doesn’t show up often.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
The thread title had me thinking Wimp had called Chris & Bryan idiots, ha!

I think the onus is on the fans to create a home court advantage, but good play on the floor invites that kind of enthusiasm and is the impetus for creating that type of environment.

I saw that Wimp traveled with the team to Florida, perhaps CAJ should consider taking Wimp to all the games - and then again, maybe not.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
These 8 pm tipoffs make it very difficult for fans outside of Tuscaloosa to attend. In fact, it's difficult for Tuscaloosa fans to take their kids because a tipoff that late means the kids aren't in bed until almost eleven. Nevertheless it's asking an awful lot of fans in Tuscaloosa and Montgomery to make that trip.

Basketball is a sport that local fans are going to have to own. I know weeknights aren't easy but there are over 100,000 people in Tuscaloosa county and an additional 20,000 plus students. Surely there are enough fans in that group to make Coleman a more rowdy place to play. If the ticket allocation affects that, then it's incumbent upon Greg Byrne to help make that happen.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
These 8 pm tipoffs make it very difficult for fans outside of Tuscaloosa to attend. In fact, it's difficult for Tuscaloosa fans to take their kids because a tipoff that late means the kids aren't in bed until almost eleven. Nevertheless it's asking an awful lot of fans in Tuscaloosa and Montgomery to make that trip.

Basketball is a sport that local fans are going to have to own. I know weeknights aren't easy but there are over 100,000 people in Tuscaloosa county and an additional 20,000 plus students. Surely there are enough fans in that group to make Coleman a more rowdy place to play. If the ticket allocation affects that, then it's incumbent upon Greg Byrne to help make that happen.

This is one area CAJ can improve. There was so plenty of talk about him being a marketer. These are the games where his marketing needs to be on full display.

Don't remember which early season game it was, but there was one early OOC game where Tide Pride members could donate their tickets back without being punished. This needs to continue.

And while we're at it, let's cut down the cost of tickets. A weekday conference game is $20 for an adult and $10 for kids (18 and under).

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
This is one area CAJ can improve. There was so plenty of talk about him being a marketer. These are the games where his marketing needs to be on full display.

Don't remember which early season game it was, but there was one early OOC game where Tide Pride members could donate their tickets back without being punished. This needs to continue.

And while we're at it, let's cut down the cost of tickets. A weekday conference game is $20 for an adult and $10 for kids (18 and under).
I would love to see a bigger student section for these weeknight games. I really wish that the student section was all the way across the court like what UF does. We’ve seen that Coleman CAN be very loud we just need it every game. Sometimes a team needs an energetic building to get them going.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.