A "Fond" Farewell to Columnist Kevin Scarbinsky

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
AL.com changed a few years ago to generate more comment section activity, which smacked of desperation. Some might catch my drift. I don't really read much of anything there anymore.

I never liked Scab or his writing style. Yep, he was a comment chaser (like an ambulance chaser, but more irritating) and never offered much that I cared for. Bye.

Also, thanks for teaching me about bury the lede. I never knew.
I still go to al dot com each morning for headlines. Yes. Headline. The old newspaper from 15-20 years ago had actually had articles and not just one little paragraph "articles." Now I have learned it is not worth loading an ad just to see a three line "article." So, if the headline does not tell me what I need to know I go to CBS or ESPN or TideFans to get the rest of the story.

I find it sad that a once valuable newspaper has become an internet "headline" publisher.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Most newspapers are either dead or dying...no one wants to pay for access and paper subscriptions keep dropping like a "lead" weight. Scarb was just trying to stir the pot to get more readers -- just like Paul Finebaum from the 1980's to today.

I met him -- Scarb -- 30+ years ago and he is actually a very nice gentleman with a lot of savy. I still remember a wonderful conversation about Alabama football -- though not much of the content!

All newspapers/media pander to the lowest common denominator these days -- which is quite a shame.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I kept getting the paper after they went to a three day schedule even though the decline had been obvious for a while. Not reading it every day was enough to make me realize I could live without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I still go to al dot com each morning for headlines. Yes. Headline. The old newspaper from 15-20 years ago had actually had articles and not just one little paragraph "articles." Now I have learned it is not worth loading an ad just to see a three line "article." So, if the headline does not tell me what I need to know I go to CBS or ESPN or TideFans to get the rest of the story.

I find it sad that a once valuable newspaper has become an internet "headline" publisher.
All I will say is this trend is one of the biggest frustrations for most journalists that are working in the field. The issue is most papers nationally are owned by cooperations. (and most are not even in the same region as the papers they own) The cooperations focus more on the business side than the public servant side of journalism than they should. They believed technology had a bigger effect on the print product than it actually did so they sold out to commit to the new trend quicker than they actually should have.

Some companies are starting to see the error of focusing more on the business side but its going to take a better effort and commitment to show the people why the print model still works (for now) and why good journalism is always important, especially in this day and age.

OK I'm off my soapbox, back to the topic at hand :)

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
All I will say is this trend is one of the biggest frustrations for most journalists that are working in the field. The issue is most papers nationally are owned by cooperations. (and most are not even in the same region as the papers they own) The cooperations focus more on the business side than the public servant side of journalism than they should. They believed technology had a bigger effect on the print product than it actually did so they sold out to commit to the new trend quicker than they actually should have.

Some companies are starting to see the error of focusing more on the business side but its going to take a better effort and commitment to show the people why the print model still works (for now) and why good journalism is always important, especially in this day and age.

OK I'm off my soapbox, back to the topic at hand :)
Agreed. Journalism had the opportunity to expound more in depth into topics but chose to give less to the reader instead. That like taking 2 ounces out of the Hunt's spaghetti sauce for the same price (or out of the box of cereal). Difference is there are more choices in print/online. Make your product stand out. Make it higher quality. Make it worth the money.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I neither hate nor love Scarb. He pushes hot buttons on both side a la Finebaum. I read his columns with both frowns and smiles, depending on who he was being unreasonable with. Now and then he would have an accurate column without the hype and favoritism. He won't be missed by me.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.