News Article: Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome to step down after 2018

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I would be incredibly excited to hear this news if Battle was still AD. I wanted Ozzie to consider our AD position but I am very happy with Greg Byrne.

Ozzie did a great job for the Ravens.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I would be incredibly excited to hear this news if Battle was still AD. I wanted Ozzie to consider our AD position but I am very happy with Greg Byrne.

Ozzie did a great job for the Ravens.
Yea that is what I was thinking as well. Really would have loved him as our AD.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
I truly love Ozzie. My first memory of him (as a freshman I think) was sitting in the stands as a UA student when we were losing to Florida State (who had lost 16 games in a row) and seeing him make a catch to give us critical yardage as the game clock wound down to put us in field goal range. Our kicker needed every one of those yards to make the kick to put us up 8-7... One of those days when our quarterback was hurt for the game and our offense could do nothing. There were many more games to come when he made critical catches for us. Truly one of the greatest tight ends ever and one of our best receivers ever even though he played during the wishbone years. I was always so proud of him for his athletic ability and his great character.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
I was a student at that game . Both of our top 2 QBs didn't play.. I think Jeff Rutledge and Richard Todd did not dress and Jack O'Rear was the QB. 39 yd fg on last play, after Ozzie's catch, from Bucky Berry. I always loved Ozzie. I don't think Freshmen could play then so he must have been a soph. ( at least that is how I remember it)

I truly love Ozzie. My first memory of him (as a freshman I think) was sitting in the stands as a UA student when we were losing to Florida State (who had lost 16 games in a row) and seeing him make a catch to give us critical yardage as the game clock wound down to put us in field goal range. Our kicker needed every one of those yards to make the kick to put us up 8-7... One of those days when our quarterback was hurt for the game and our offense could do nothing. There were many more games to come when he made critical catches for us. Truly one of the greatest tight ends ever and one of our best receivers ever even though he played during the wishbone years. I was always so proud of him for his athletic ability and his great character.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I was in the stands that day as well. I recall Florida State taking a safety with minutes left in the game and Alabama managed to get in field goal position to pull out the win. Coach Bryant said Florida State played them tougher than any other team that year. They ran the ball well and Bama's defense was worn out due to not having any offense that day.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Probably the most frustrating Bama game I've ever sat through. Ozzie was great. Hope he retires and enjoys himself.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
University ought to create a role for him if he'd like to come back and let his influence be felt. Associate AD or something!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I loved Ozzie as a player at Alabama, in the Pros, and as a GM.
He's a class guy. (Maybe too classy for the NFL these days)
I wish him the very best.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Apparently part of the plan for awhile
"I will remain as the Ravens general manager through the 2018 season and continue my role directing free agency and the draft," Newsome said. "After that, Eric [DeCosta] will take over as our general manager and assume all the duties that come with that, including heading our personnel department and directing free agency and the draft.

"I plan to remain with the Ravens in a significant position in personnel and help us win more Super Bowls. We have planned this succession over the last five years."
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...-Newsome/bbc9b6ce-13ee-4d8e-8385-79e8645e9bbc

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.