Game Thread: Alabama at Florida - Saturday 4PM eastern - ESPN 2

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Alabama at Florida - Saturday 4PM eastern - ESPN

PLEASE NOTE: the game is on ESPN...not ESPN 2!

Hope you don't mind if I start this one off......

====================

When: Saturday 4p.m.ET
Watch: ESPN Network & Watch ESPN App
ESPN Play-by-Play & Analysts: Bob Wischusen, Dick Vitale & Allison Williams
Listen: ESPN Radio (Dave Lamont and Bob Valvano).
Where: EXACTECH Arena at Stephen C. O’Connell Center (10,051); Gainesville, FL

===================

Been a crazy season so far for both teams.

Both won their respective Big12 challenge matches but lost their next game and are on a 2 conference game losing streak....with Florida going through a 9 minute stretch with zero FG's in their road game against Georgia and Bama losing to Mizzou at home.

That said.....there is a lot of talent on both teams and I'm looking forward to what should be a very competitive game.

===================

- Brief Bit of History –

​Florida and Alabama meet for the first of 2 contests over the regular season’s final nine games. The teams have split two meetings since CMW and Avery Johnson were both hired in 2015, with the road team winning both games. Bama leads the series 74-67, but Florida has won 12 of the previous 13, and 24 of the previous 27, dating to the 1999-2000 season.... The Gators and Tide last tipped off in Tuscaloosa on 01/10/2017 at Tuscaloosa, where the Gators won 80-67 behind 13 points, 5 boards, 4 assists and 5 steals by senior PG Kasey Hill.

===================

2017-2018 Gators & Tide Key Stats Comparison

Bama Stats of Note: Gators’ Stats of Note:

PGG: 73.8 PPG: 79.8
FG%: 46.1% FG%: 43.7%
RPG: 36.6 RPG: 36.1
Assists/Game: 13.0 Assists/Game: 13.3
Points Allowed: 70.0 Points Allowed: 71.8
Blocks/Game: 6.2 Blocks/Game: 4.7
Steals/Game: 7.0 Steals/Game: 7.0​

===================

UF versus Alabama matchup pits star point guards Chris Chiozza, Collin Sexton

"In this corner, wearing orange and blue and coming in at 6-feet, 175 pounds, UF point guard and SEC Player of the Year candidate Chris Chioooozaaaa.
In the other corner, wearing crimson and white and standing 6-foot-3, 190-pounds, Alabama point guard and freshman sensation Collin Sexxxtonnn.
When it comes to heavyweight matchups in the SEC these days, few can equal the Chiozza-Sexton showdown at 4 p.m. Saturday in the O’Connell Center.
Chiozza beat Missouri with a steal and layup during the final seconds, has a 5-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio in conference play and leads the No. 23 Gators with his guts and guile. Sexton out-dueled Oklahoma phenom and national Player of the Year front-runner Trae Young during the Big 12-SEC Challenge, averages 18.7 points per game and possesses a skillset few can match.
“I’m sure Chris is excited to go against Collin and Collin I’m sure is chomping at the bit to go against Chris, who is having a great year,” UF coach Mike White said. “It ought to be a great battle.”
UF (15-7, 6-3 SEC) and Alabama (14-8, 5-4) are coming off disappointing losses entering this matchup on CBS. There’s a good chance Chiozza or Sexton decides who prevails and gains much-needed momentum entering February.
Blessed with a 6-foot-6.5-inch wingspan, Sexton has the physical edge and is a projected lottery pick in the 2018 NBA draft. The 19-year-old has scored at least 20 points during 11 of Alabama’s 22 games, including 40 against Minnesota.
With Sexton, it was love at first sight for White, who recruited him out of the Atlanta area.
“He’s one of the best athletes in the country,” White said. “He’s incredibly explosive, competitive. He’s got some toughness. It’s really hard to keep him out of the paint. He’s great at drawing fouls. He can create his own shot anytime he wants. He’s a really good on-ball defender.”

(read more at the link above)

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Ha...to be honest.....if I were a betting man, I would put my money on Bama. You ALWAYS play us hard and the way this season is going - we have issues! :eek:
This conference is just so dang balanced right now. Anybody could beat anybody. Don't really have any outright bad teams. Hell, both UF and Bama are still in OK shape in the championship chase.

As for this one, it's not quite a must win, but Bama needs this one or they are seriously behind the 8-ball. A win here would rectify the Mizzou loss.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I saw a picture on Twitter this morning. Herb Jones was in a walking boot. We opened as an 8 point dog. If we are without Herb, I'd say 8 is low. We almost always struggle at UF. I thought we matched up well on ghe defensive end with Herb defending. We'll have to have an incredible effort to win.
RTR

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Someone correct me if im wrong but i dont think we always struggle against florida. Sounds like some of u are hoping we lose...you would think we were a .500 team right now or mathematically eliminated from the tourney from some fans right now

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Someone correct me if im wrong but i dont think we always struggle against florida. Sounds like some of u are hoping we lose...you would think we were a .500 team right now or mathematically eliminated from the tourney from some fans right now
Exactly. We have too many fans that just want to prove that they are right rather than win. It’s just like in Football when we had fans that were wanting Jalen Hurts to play poorly, but that’s for another discussion. We have fans that are only happy if there is something to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Exactly. We have too many fans that just want to prove that they are right rather than win. It’s just like in Football when we had fans that were wanting Jalen Hurts to play poorly, but that’s for another discussion. We have fans that are only happy if there is something to complain about.

Or some people are just being realistic about the play on the court..

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Or show their lack of knowledge about the actual game of basketball. Either one.

Look at the standings - they don't lie. We've lost to 3-of-5 of the worst ranked teams in the SEC standings on the road. Couple that with a loss at HOME against a 4-5 Missouri team that had lost several (I think 3 in a row) coming into our game.

Five of our remaining games come against four of the top-ranked teams in the league (AU, FL, KY, TN) and most of those (3) are on the road.

I don't know of any "fan" that hopes their own team loses - that's just bizarre to even consider. I hope Alabama wins every game they ever play. Realistically, this team has under-performed to this point in the season and there has been not a whole lot in their performance to suggest this will magically change over the course of the next few weeks. They've shown the ability to win big games at home, but nothing consistently. They've also shown the ability to lose neutral site games and with the exception of LSU (who is the second worst team in the league record wise), they haven't come close to winning a true road game. Honestly, they've been embarrassed by middle of the road teams.

I hope more than anything they improve and get over the hump. I thought at the beginning of the season they were a sure-fire NCAA team with the ability to make a DEEP run in the tournament. While there are some games left, I was totally wrong to this point.

I hope the team can prove me wrong going forward and make the jump to what most of us thought they could be all along.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Look at the standings - they don't lie. We've lost to 3-of-5 of the worst ranked teams in the SEC standings on the road. Couple that with a loss at HOME against a 4-5 Missouri team that had lost several (I think 3 in a row) coming into our game.

Five of our remaining games come against four of the top-ranked teams in the league (AU, FL, KY, TN) and most of those (3) are on the road.

I don't know of any "fan" that hopes their own team loses - that's just bizarre to even consider. I hope Alabama wins every game they ever play. Realistically, this team has under-performed to this point in the season and there has been not a whole lot in their performance to suggest this will magically change over the course of the next few weeks. They've shown the ability to win big games at home, but nothing consistently. They've also shown the ability to lose neutral site games and with the exception of LSU (who is the second worst team in the league record wise), they haven't come close to winning a true road game. Honestly, they've been embarrassed by middle of the road teams.

I hope more than anything they improve and get over the hump. I thought at the beginning of the season they were a sure-fire NCAA team with the ability to make a DEEP run in the tournament. While there are some games left, I was totally wrong to this point.

I hope the team can prove me wrong going forward and make the jump to what most of us thought they could be all along.
Don’t confuse him with facts..

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I've been to almost every home game for 20 years. How many games have you seen in person? I hope we win, and I'll be cheering like crazy. If you look at our history for the last 20 years, Florida has pretty much dominated the series. Gottfried beat Florida I think once and I don't think Grant ever beat them so who knows Bama basketball and who doesn't. Look it up. Bama has not played well on the road and losing a key piece does not bode well if in fact he doesn't play. If we want to get to the tourney, we need to win a few road games. If we do not win at least 4 or 5 more games we probably won't make it. Look at the schedule and tell me where there are 5 wins. We are really up and down and no one knows which team will show up today, the team that beat Oklahoma or the team that lost to Mizzou at home.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Re: Alabama at Florida - Saturday 4PM eastern - ESPN

I just want to see this team play to its potential week in and week out. You can see through the OU game this team can play with anyone on a given day with the right energy and focus.

I think caj is a very good coach from a recruiting and strategy standpoint. But it does appear that he could improve on getting team to play to a standard and with higher intensity and focus.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Don’t confuse him with facts..
The facts are that we have lost some games that we shouldn’t have, but we have also won some games against some very good teams. We are showing flashes of being a very good basketball team. THAT IS CALLED IMPROVEMENT!

My whole point is that at this point it is absurd for even thinking that CAJ should be fired. We have another VERY GOOD recruiting class coming in next year. Add that with some actual on the court experience and we are starting to actually rebuild the program.

Anyway, I’m finished arguing. We are all supposed to be on the same team here. I just get tired of the constant “Everything is always the coaches fault” that’s part of the problem with teenagers today. I see it everyday. But that is for another story. I’m done.

ROLL TIDE!

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
Anyway, I’m finished arguing. We are all supposed to be on the same team here. I just get tired of the constant “Everything is always the coaches fault” that’s part of the problem with teenagers today. I see it everyday. But that is for another story. I’m done.

ROLL TIDE!

I concur, bud. We're all on the same team.

Just for the record as far as I'm concerned, I love Coach Avery and hope he succeeds and I think he will.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The facts are that we have lost some games that we shouldn’t have, but we have also won some games against some very good teams. We are showing flashes of being a very good basketball team. THAT IS CALLED IMPROVEMENT!

My whole point is that at this point it is absurd for even thinking that CAJ should be fired. We have another VERY GOOD recruiting class coming in next year. Add that with some actual on the court experience and we are starting to actually rebuild the program.

ROLL TIDE!

Who’s talking about firing CAJ? I haven’t seen anyone mention that he should be fired. Coaches get credit for wins and blame for losses. That’s just how it works. Avery himself said in an interview yesterday that 99.5% of the teams underperformance is on him and .5% is lack of senior leadership. Apologize if I come off argumentative or negative but I just try to be realistic about the program as I see it..

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Who’s talking about firing CAJ? I haven’t seen anyone mention that he should be fired. Coaches get credit for wins and blame for losses. That’s just how it works. Avery himself said in an interview yesterday that 99.5% of the teams underperformance is on him and .5% is lack of senior leadership. Apologize if I come off argumentative or negative but I just try to be realistic about the program as I see it..
Sometimes it isn't what is said, but how. I've seen your posts as distinctly negative only because you framed them to be, perhaps without "trying".

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.