Eryk Anders vs Lyoto Machida UFC fight

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
As much as I wanted him to win. Eryk clearly didn't win the fight. He didn't cut the ring off at any time. He followed Machida instead of cutting the cage off. This was experience vs. Youth and strength. Machida "scored" points. Eryk may have the "knock out power" but Machida clearly out fight him. Move in get a cheap leg kick or two a quick punch or two then get out and away from a great counter puncher.

Machida did the same thing to Dan Henderson a few years ago. With a counter puncher light Hendo or Eryk you make them move forward and initiate the action. Weather its Eryks left or Henderson's right hand they can't throw it if you aren't there. This is his third fight in the UFC and he was fighting a legend in Machida. If he goes back and looks at the film he is gonna see the mistakes he makes, his future looks bright.

37bamagreats55

All-American
Apr 1, 2003
Gardendale, AL
The UFC is no better than the WWE from what I saw last night. Eric clearly won the fight. Also the dude that was in the ring when the 2 women fought should never be allowed to referee again. That was brutal.
Indeed. That fight should have been stopped early in the first round. I'd hate to see the girls body that got beat - I'm surprised she didn't have to go straight to the hospital.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Yeah that poor girl could have been killed. The opposition looked at him a couple of times and asked him if that was enough. I don’t watch MMA enough to know but can the team stop the fight like they can in boxing? If so, they need some blame. If I were the UFC I’d tell Brazil [emoji1054] that we’d cancel the upcoming event in the spring if that ref is involved. Something tells me he’s done. This also wasn’t his first show of total incompetence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
Yeah that poor girl could have been killed. The opposition looked at him a couple of times and asked him if that was enough. I don’t watch MMA enough to know but can the team stop the fight like they can in boxing? If so, they need some blame. If I were the UFC I’d tell Brazil [emoji1054] that we’d cancel the upcoming event in the spring if that ref is involved. Something tells me he’s done. This also wasn’t his first show of total incompetence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, they can throw in the towel and deserve just as much blame as the ref(who is terrible). However, that girl tore her ACL in the opening minutes of the fight and when she told her corner about it after round 1, they told her to shut up. Incredibly incompetent all around.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
The UFC is no better than the WWE from what I saw last night. Eric clearly won the fight. Also the dude that was in the ring when the 2 women fought should never be allowed to referee again. That was brutal.
THE UFC has little to no control who the local commissions bring in to ref and judge.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Yes, but they have total control where they book the cards. I would cancel anything in Brazil till they clean up their part.
I have spent quite a lot of time in Brazil and would have never recommended that anyone travel into the Amazon region for such an event. I can't imagine that one could expect a well regulated sporting event in that region. There are some tourist destinations along the coast in the northeast but the border areas are basically lawless due to drugs, illegal forestry operations, people trafficking, etc. The murder of police and news correspondents are regular events. I would be more concerned with my personal safety much less getting fair treatment by officials. I always felt it was ill advised for him to participate in the event.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yeah... He clearly won a close fight, but when it comes down to a judges decision in your opponents den you must dominate to win! Anders didn't do that! He should have as Machida is a good fighter in decline, coming off three straight bad losses! Hope he learns from the experience. Looks like he still has a ways to go before he is capable of competing for any type of championship!
I saw a wrap-up show and they said they had 22 judges watching and judging the fight on-line and that 16 of them had Anders winning.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
Yes, but they have total control where they book the cards. I would cancel anything in Brazil till they clean up their part.

He's refereed in plenty of events outside of Brazil too but...kinda hard to move on from one of your biggest money places...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I have to ask how many actually watch UFC fights outside of the free fights because Eryk didn't win that fight. He was way too quiet for way too long in the fight. In the 3rd when he landed the knee to the forehead, that was basically the only thing he did the whole round. Times like that are when you try to convincingly take the round and/or finish the fight. Instead he let Machida gather himself and win the round. The judge that had it 48-47 Machida had the correct score for that fight. I do agree the 49-46 was a straight homer judge but in no way was Anders "screwed".

Bhammer

1st Team
Jan 4, 2007
Birmingham
Mario Yamasaki. He is a trainwreck of referee and this is far from the first time he has been embroiled in controversy. Dana White spoke out against him today and has expressed his displeasure and lack of confidence in him multiple times in the past. Yamasaki responded to the criticism by saying about the girl that was getting beaten to death, “I allowed ‘Pedrita’ to be a warrior“. Personally, I don’t care much for Dana White but he’s right. This guy needs to go away before he haphazardly officiates an official death.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
What's weird about how Anders fought is that he's the one who called out Machida after his last vicroty. Since Anders called him out you'd presume he knows how Machida fights. Machida is a very defensive fighter who pretty much only comes forward on a counter attack. I'm not sure what Anders game plan was but his performance was really a head scratcher. As others have pointed out he should have been cutting Machida off instead of just chasing him. I've seen every UFC fight for the past 10 years (~UFC 90) and I wasn't surprised at all by the decision. As soon as the 5th round was over I said Machida wins split decision. Fighters in their home country - Bisping in UK, GSP in Canada, Machida in Brazil - always get the benefit of the doubt in a close fight like this. I'm not saying it's right but as someone who's followed the sport for a long time it's not surprising. Anders needs to clean up a few things - mainly coming up with and executing a proper game plan for his opponent - and I could see him making a run at the middleweight championship..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Mario Yamasaki. He is a trainwreck of referee and this is far from the first time he has been embroiled in controversy. Dana White spoke out against him today and has expressed his displeasure and lack of confidence in him multiple times in the past. Yamasaki responded to the criticism by saying about the girl that was getting beaten to death, “I allowed ‘Pedrita’ to be a warrior“. Personally, I don’t care much for Dana White but he’s right. This guy needs to go away before he haphazardly officiates an official death.
Yea, Yamasaki was highly criticized for stopping a fight to early and now it looks like he's afraid to step in when he should. Dangerous situation for sure. I think I read the strike count was something like 200-3 which is just staggering..

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Yea, Yamasaki was highly criticized for stopping a fight to early and now it looks like he's afraid to step in when he should. Dangerous situation for sure. I think I read the strike count was something like 200-3 which is just staggering..
And his statement defending his actions was beyond a joke. He wanted to give the fighter a chance to be a "warrior". No dude, you let a defenseless fighter take unnecessary pounding.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
And his statement defending his actions was beyond a joke. He wanted to give the fighter a chance to be a "warrior". No dude, you let a defenseless fighter take unnecessary pounding.
AND he missed her first tap! Him and Mazzagatti are both a joke. With Big John having to step down to be an announcer we are going to see guys that are even worse.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.