Recipe for an invite to the dance?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
With their loss today, UK looks to be in trouble, especially since they’re about to hit the Alabama buzzsaw this week with AU in Auburn Arena Tuesday and Saturday Bama (the iteration that blows out good teams) in Coleman come Saturday.

@ Auburn
Alabama
@ Arkansas
Missouri
Ole Miss
@Florida

They’re 17-8 (6-6). Finishing below .500 in conference play looks like a real possibility. Could they miss out on the dance?
I wish Alabama was playing them in Coleman. Would feel much better about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
I wish Alabama was playing them in Coleman. Would feel much better about it.

Rats I had that wrong. Dunno why I misread that.

That being said, I still think Saturday Bama beats them. Rupp doesn't have that mystique this year, and your last road game against a quality team on Saturday, UF, ended up being a whipping.

Last edited:

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
It is a strange season in the SEC. It is difficult to get a feel on the quality of the league, over all. Is Kentucky really that far below their standard, or has the rest of the league caught up that much? Are the better teams just playing down to the level of lesser opponents, or is the league really that evenly matched? Are the ranked teams Bama is beating just having off nights? It seems there is a big enough sampling at this point in the season, but it is still a little blurry to me. What if the SEC puts 6-7 teams in the dance and Kentucky is not one of them?

Basketball bizarro world.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
It is a strange season in the SEC. It is difficult to get a feel on the quality of the league, over all. Is Kentucky really that far below their standard, or has the rest of the league caught up that much? Are the better teams just playing down to the level of lesser opponents, or is the league really that evenly matched? Are the ranked teams Bama is beating just having off nights? It seems there is a big enough sampling at this point in the season, but it is still a little blurry to me. What if the SEC puts 6-7 teams in the dance and Kentucky is not one of them?
I think this is the best the league has been in years. There are no off nights. Kentucky is perennially young and it’s just not clicking the same this year. They are still very dangerous.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Bama will beat UK. If they just maintain their intensity they will be in every game. I think they are in easily unless they lose all 3 remaining games (they won’t) and go one and done in the SEC tournament.

Their 5-1 record against the top 25 is better than any other team in D1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Don’t use that “young” word around here. People get mad 狼 (blue font)

Nevertheless it's true that we're young compared with the rest of the country/conference. I've been vocal in the past in my opposition to the Cal-Cal "rent-a-team" method. I hope we don't fall into that. I don't want to win that way because everyone knows what's going on under the hood...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Rats I had that wrong. Dunno why I misread that.

That being said, I still think Saturday Bama beats them. Rupp doesn't have that mystique this year, and your last road game against a quality team on Saturday, UF, ended up being a whipping.
If Bama wins, I suspect the state of Alabama gets at least two teams in the tournament for the first time in awhile. Depending on Troy and UAB, the state could have more.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Nevertheless it's true that we're young compared with the rest of the country/conference. I've been vocal in the past in my opposition to the Cal-Cal "rent-a-team" method. I hope we don't fall into that. I don't want to win that way because everyone knows what's going on under the hood...
Teams like us aren't going to be able to recruit the way Cal does, and that's OK because the way they do it is being exposed badly this year in Kentucky's case.

Cal needs to concentrate on 50-100 guys that will stay a few years and bring in 2 top 10 guys every year. I swear, UK should be able to win more championships than they do. Seniority and leadership would go a long way at getting the most out of your one and done players.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
Oh I know. We are super young. I’ve said this is a ton of other threads. I was being sarcastic because of some of the other discussions in here. I’ve been told numerous times in here that being young is a poor excuse. We are the 4th youngest team in the nation. There are going to be ups and downs. I’ve tried to state that, but a lot of people don’t like it. That’s what I was referencing.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Teams like us aren't going to be able to recruit the way Cal does, and that's OK because the way they do it is being exposed badly this year in Kentucky's case.

Cal needs to concentrate on 50-100 guys that will stay a few years and bring in 2 top 10 guys every year. I swear, UK should be able to win more championships than they do. Seniority and leadership would go a long way at getting the most out of your one and done players.
Duke is kinda doing it right. One of their first round picks is a senior. If we could some how keep Petty till at least his Junior year and the rest make it to their Senior year we will be building something. I really hope Key makes the right decision and comes back for at least one more year. If we only lose CS we are going to be a top 10 team next year especially if Donta comes back. The way he has improved year after year he could play his way in to the first round.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
If we could become more consistent, I would say we would be the 8th seed that everyone else would least like to play...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If we could become more consistent, I would say we would be the 8th seed that everyone else would least like to play...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Right now, Alabama would be a dangerous 8/9 team because the opponent doesn’t know what it’s getting.

If Alabama gets consistent, it gets to 20+ wins and will be a 7 seed or better.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
If you get consistent, you'll end up higher than an 8 seed.
Agreed. I still think we have a good shot at a 6 seed, maybe even an outside shot of a 4-5 if we make it to the final day of the SEC tournament. The bad losses don’t hurt as much when they are being balanced out with good wins, and we’ve gotten a lot of really good wins of late. Right now, I think 7-8 is our most likely seeding, but I wouldn’t sleep on us as being a pretty high seed of a few chips fall our way.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Geez, guys. Just beat LSU (for now). Winning two in a row would be pretty cool considering the way these guys play.

rtr

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Right now, Alabama would be a dangerous 8/9 team because the opponent doesn’t know what it’s getting.

If Alabama gets consistent, it gets to 20+ wins and will be a 7 seed or better.

If you look at the way the tournament works, an 8 or 9 seed gives you the best shot to go further in the tournament. Win the 1st game and you are matched against the likely 1 seed in your region in the 2nd game. Win that and you'll have a fairly winnable path to the final 4 before facing the tougher competition. That is what happened when we made an elite eight run if I remember correctly.

The order of finish is all important now. We are currently 5th with a RPI 0f 33. If we can maintain that position, we are in. There are 4 teams 1 game behind us so we need to beat LSU, Arky, and one more team among the 4 remaining games which are UK, Florida, T A&M, and Auburn. We have a very good chance of going 4-2 in the last 6 games. If so we are at 20 wins and we are will be dancing no matter what happens in the SEC tourney.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.