Recipe for an invite to the dance?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Home teams went 4-3 yesterday to give the Saturday home teams a six game edge over the midweek hosts. Nice theory, but I’d have to see more data before I concluded it was a big factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
So what do we need to do to get a bid? I think we need at least two more wins (including the SECT) to not sweat out Selection Sunday.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
What I hate about this whole selection process is that I feel like that we have definitely had some better teams in the past that haven’t gotten in the tournament. The year we made it to the NIT final (Trevor Releford’s freshman year) we were a tournament team. I think we were a sweet 16 team that year, but we didn’t gel until conference play.

That is the problem with how teams are selected. It is so much about the numbers. This season it benefits us, but we have had much better and more consistent teams than this left out in years past.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What I hate about this whole selection process is that I feel like that we have definitely had some better teams in the past that haven’t gotten in the tournament. The year we made it to the NIT final (Trevor Releford’s freshman year) we were a tournament team. I think we were a sweet 16 team that year, but we didn’t gel until conference play.

That is the problem with how teams are selected. It is so much about the numbers. This season it benefits us, but we have had much better and more consistent teams than this left out in years past.

Have long felt putting conference tournament winners in the tournament only makes it worse. Can't honestly say the best 68 teams in the nation are in the tournament when a team gets hot in February and March.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I think to be certain we need to win both. One and one leaves it up to the bean counters in Indy and I hate leaving it their hands.
I think to be certain the selection committee wants to give Sexton one postseason game that would go with his CBB "legacy." Although it might be better for him, all things considered, if it was the 3-on-5 tournament game against Minny and Spittoono Jr.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

We had a poor out of conference schedule and had some really bad losses before we even got to the SEC schedule. I am not sure, but that may have been the year we lost to the perineal powerhouse St. Peters. I agree we should have made it. I believe they took Georgia who we had just beaten that season. I remember Cecil Hurt tweeting that we had been knocked out of the tourney before the conference schedule even began.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
We absolutely have to win one of the remaining 2 games. Even then, I think we have to win at least our first SEC tournament game to be safe. If we finish 0-2, then I think we're going to have to win the SEC tournament or at least make it to the finals.

We've really played ourselves out of the tournament at this point, but there remains opportunity if we can finish this last week strong. If we can finish 2-0, then I think we're solidly in the tournament no matter what happens in St. Louis.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
We had a poor out of conference schedule and had some really bad losses before we even got to the SEC schedule. I am not sure, but that may have been the year we lost to the perineal powerhouse St. Peters. I agree we should have made it. I believe they took Georgia who we had just beaten that season. I remember Cecil Hurt tweeting that we had been knocked out of the tourney before the conference schedule even began.
Yes, it was St. Peter’s that we lost to. I think that was a tournament in the Bahamas. I remember well. It just took a while for us to gel. We beat UGA twice that year and had a better record, but they got in over us. I was so mad, but specially remember Jerry Palm saying that head to head didn’t matter at all.

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
There is another factor to consider as well. How we finish in the SEC will also have a bearing on whether we make it or not. We are in 8th right now which puts us in dangerous territory IMHO. How many teams they take from each league will likely depend on how many upsets there are the league conference tournaments? The narrative from the media is that there are mid majors left out because an underdog gets on a run, and win in their conference tournament. A 500 record in the SEC may not get us in. Also, it we lose to either our RPI will be somewhere in the 50's.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009

We are a 10 seed in Lunardi’s bracket. I’m actually really surprised. I expected us to be in the first 4 out, which is where Palm has us. We HAVE to win vs TAMU, which I’m not expecting, and maybe 1 in the tournament. I don’t think we have to win 2 or 3 in the tournament like some do. I’m also trying to be optimistic here so I don’t jump off the roof of my school building haha.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We may still be in according to the talking heads, but I refuse to believe that if we lose to T A&M that we'll be in. A team that finishes with a losing record and around 10th in the league does not deserve to be in IMHO. I think we have to beat the Aggies, but I would not bet on it the way this team is playing.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We may still be in according to the talking heads, but I refuse to believe that if we lose to T A&M that we'll be in. A team that finishes with a losing record and around 10th in the league does not deserve to be in IMHO. I think we have to beat the Aggies, but I would not bet on it the way this team is playing.
Or a team on a 5 or 6 game losing streak to end the regular season which is what we're looking at if we lose to A&M..

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Or a team on a 5 or 6 game losing streak to end the regular season which is what we're looking at if we lose to A&M..
I agree. If we lose to TAMU we have to make it to Saturday of the SEC tournament.

Also, I’ll publicly apologize to you for the you don’t know anything about basketball comment. I was out of line and that was disrespectful.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I agree. If we lose to TAMU we have to make it to Saturday of the SEC tournament.

Also, I’ll publicly apologize to you for the you don’t know anything about basketball comment. I was out of line and that was disrespectful.

One more thing to add, we simply do not pass the eye test with a 21 point loss at home.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.