Recipe for an invite to the dance?

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
If we beat A&M and lose to the barn, we will be 18-15 with a 9-11 SEC record. We will also be 2-8 in our last ten games. I think making it to Saturday might get us in, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 of the numbers that you just gave, conference record & last 10 games) aren’t selection committee criteria anymore. If we make it to Saturday that gives us 2 more Quadrant 1 wins. We will be in. I’m not counting on us winning those 2 games, but if we do we are in.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Perhaps, but a team stumbling down the stretch isn’t going to impress anyone. I also don’t think a team that is below .500 in the conference deserves a spot.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Perhaps, but a team stumbling down the stretch isn’t going to impress anyone. I also don’t think a team that is below .500 in the conference deserves a spot.

Well then I guess it’s a good thing for us that you aren’t on the selection committee. [emoji6]

I’m not saying that we deserve anything. I’m just saying what will likely happen based on the numbers, the criteria and how horribly WEAK the bubble is this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

We can argue if this team deserves a spot all we want. There's more to it than that.

Everyone remember in 2011 and 2013 when Anthony Grant's teams went 12-4 and 12-6 in the SEC but failed to make the tournament? It was because of poor OOC scheduling. Avery put together a pretty strong OOC schedule this year, which is what is helping the team stay in the conversation even after having the five game skid.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I heard Jerry Palm on Finebaum and he said we would need to beat A&M and the Barn and then hope there are no upsets in the mid major tourneys.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I heard Jerry Palm on Finebaum and he said we would need to beat A&M and the Barn and then hope there are no upsets in the mid major tourneys.
He’s full of crap, too. He says “there’s no point in considering” Alabama.

I’m not saying Alabama is still in the tournament, but he’s acting like this is the 2013 team.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I believe that Alabama will beat aTm and play well enough in a loss to Auburn to get in. But I don't think that anyone expects Alabama to get in if you lose to aTm. Must win game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I believe that Alabama will beat aTm and play well enough in a loss to Auburn to get in. But I don't think that anyone expects Alabama to get in if you lose to aTm. Must win game.
Right. A loss Thursday eliminates all chances of getting in the tournament. Palm is being very condescending in his stance on Alabama, though.

From what I've seen, the other predictions have Alabama on the bubble. He talks like Alabama must win the SEC tournament to even be considered (and yes, I know winning the tournament means getting a bid).

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Right. A loss Thursday eliminates all chances of getting in the tournament. Palm is being very condescending in his stance on Alabama, though.

From what I've seen, the other predictions have Alabama on the bubble. He talks like Alabama must win the SEC tournament to even be considered (and yes, I know winning the tournament means getting a bid).
Remember CBS, his employer, has the contract for the the tourney. Unfortunately I think his comments will carry weight with the NCAA committee. They don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. I do think many pundits think we should be in based on our record in the quadrant system, but there is no doubt we are a very thin bubble team. In years past, I don't think we get a sniff after losing 5 games in a row. We need to win 2 or 3 games to get in in the tourney. Is this team capable of getting winning 3 games, yes. The question is whether they play like a team or a bunch of individuals.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Remember CBS, his employer, has the contract for the the tourney. Unfortunately I think his comments will carry weight with the NCAA committee. They don't want to bite the hand that feeds them. I do think many pundits think we should be in based on our record in the quadrant system, but there is no doubt we are a very thin bubble team. In years past, I don't think we get a sniff after losing 5 games in a row. We need to win 2 or 3 games to get in in the tourney. Is this team capable of getting winning 3 games, yes. The question is whether they play like a team or a bunch of individuals.
Nothing I've seen the last few weeks would even indicate that they are capable of winning 2 or 3; however, they did have a couple of decent runs during the season where we looked fairly good. It seems the wheels have come completely off right now, but as I mentioned at the end of the game thread the other day, it is tournament time so all it would take is to get hot for a few days. I would really like to see Alabama in my NCAA bracket once again.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Nothing I've seen the last few weeks would even indicate that they are capable of winning 2 or 3; however, they did have a couple of decent runs during the season where we looked fairly good. It seems the wheels have come completely off right now, but as I mentioned at the end of the game thread the other day, it is tournament time so all it would take is to get hot for a few days. I would really like to see Alabama in my NCAA bracket once again.
To be honest, I only want to see Alabama in the tournament if they are playing well again. I have no desire to see Alabama lose in the first round to some mediocre team. I know that you guys really want to be back in the dance again, but is it still a step forward if you stagger in only to get killed in the first game?

These guys have looked like world beaters and they have looked like a club level team. I hope the world beaters find their way back onto the court.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
I wouldn't be shocked if Alabama won the SEC tournament. They are 2-1 against the SEC co-champs.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Bama lost by 15-20 to TAMU.

That's what's so frustrating about this team. If you can beat UT by 30 and beat all the other good teams then there's no excuse to lose 6 of your last 8 as we've done. No excuse.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Last night Lunardi tweeted out his overall seeds for the tournament. He lists Alabama as the #46 overall team in the tournament.

When someone asked about Alabama's overall chances, he said, "Last team in right now. Will not make it without beating A&M."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Last night Lunardi tweeted out his overall seeds for the tournament. He lists Alabama as the #46 overall team in the tournament.

When someone asked about Alabama's overall chances, he said, "Last team in right now. Will not make it without beating A&M."
Lunardi has been a huge supporter of Alabama this year. He is just being frank - even a team capable of so much won't make it in the midst this kind of losing streak. You need a win to break the streak against aTm, and you need to follow that up with solid play against Auburn to be sure.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I wouldn't be shocked if Alabama won the SEC tournament. They are 2-1 against the SEC co-champs.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Bama lost by 15-20 to TAMU.

That's what's so frustrating about this team. If you can beat UT by 30 and beat all the other good teams then there's no excuse to lose 6 of your last 8 as we've done. No excuse.
Not truer words! We are capable, no doubt.

We beat some of the best teams we faced. And when we beat AU in the first game, we were without Sexton.

But, when I looked at the brackets and the teams playing on Thursday, we lost to everyone of them.

Beat some of the better teams and lost to most of the worst teams.

BamaMike05

All-American
Jul 4, 2009
Serious question? Do you guys think the selection committee takes any consideration in the fact that we played most of the 2nd half of the Minnesota game with only 3 players and almost still won? I don’t think they will, but it’s a thought.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.