How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice) - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American WylieTexasTider's Avatar

Re: How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    OK, so the last two years I've bought someone's season tickets and gone to 5-6 games per year (I'm not traveling 1200 miles round trip for Mercer, folks, I made sure they got used though). This year not gonna do it. I'm about to be totally debt free and trying to stockpile money for retirement as I'm now 48 so I will likely limit it to 1-2 games per year so long as I'm living in the Plex.

My other decision this fall was to try the streaming service from SlingTV. I'm gonna be blunt - it sucked. Not that I didn't get plenty of games There were multiple problems.

1) I was about 90-120 seconds behind everyone else. I had to go turn my phone off the night of the UGA game because I kept getting texts from folks right before something huge happened.

2) Because of this, of course, my participation in our game threads here was nonexistent. After the FSU game - where I was both behind and reading comments - I knew what happened well before I saw it, which stunk.

3) The other problem - limited by comparison - was that any game that had a LOT of people watching it kept sticking and losing the connection. I can say a LOT of bad things about cable, but I never lost a connection based on "oops, too many people are trying to watch the game."

So.......since I have seven months to fix this and I'm likely only going to the Auburn (and possibly Mizzou) games next year....what do you use, what's the cost and is it any good?

I'm cancelling my prescription (for madness) after today. No contract was the one redeeming feature. (Folks, I literally don't watch anything on TV but Tide football and some MLB regular season stuff and that only because my brother has the MLB package).

Looking for recommendations from the best fan base in cfb please.

Thx.
    Selma, come watch the games with Tide In Texas! We have multiple watch party locations: We were awarded the 2016 out of state chapter of the year by National Alumni Association.

City Council in Uptown, Bonnie and Clyde’s in Grapevine, Red Hot and Blue near North Park and downtown FW. (The DT FW location will be changing.) We are looking for a location in Plano/Allen as well.

The uptown location typically has 100+, typically under 50 crowd. Grapevine has 150+ and most folks are 45-65. I have never been to FW or the one near North Park but, have been told they have 50+ in FW and 30ish near North Park. I believe those spots are also a little bit older crowd.

If you are unaware of TNT, the website is:

HTTP://WWW.TIDEINTEXAS.COM

Also, if you are a golfer, the TNT Crimson Classic benefitting the Lee Roy Jordan Scholarship fund is coming up May 7. Lee Roy will be there as will a yet to be announced UA Head Coach (Not Saban unfortunately) and likely former players. There will be a lot of cool auction items such as a Saban/Tua signed ball with the CFP logo and final score stitched on the ball.
    "What happened yesterday is history. What happens tomorrow is a mystery. What we do today makes a difference - the precious present moment."-Nick Saban

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame

We haven't cut the cord yet, but I did just get rid of two of my four boxes and DVR capabilities and the movie channels. Doing those things saved us about $55 per month. I use Roku on the other two TVs and have Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu. It provides more viewing opportunities than we could possibly ever use. I'm hoping once my wife gets used to using the streaming services that we can get rid of cable with her blessings, so I have read with interest the different options that you guys have used. A coworker said that he has had success with Hulu Live, but I don't have any personal experience with that.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    I've used Sling TV for 4 years and never had an issue. I pay for pretty snappy internet.

There is a delay but all my friends know not to text me about the game or I'll cut their nads off.

So, to be fair, Sling doesn't suck, your local bandwidth and provider sucks.

Sling requires the data that it requires to stream live television at a consistent 60fps and 1080p. There is compression happening but you still need a healthy internet connection for it to work properly.

For anyone with dicey internet or really bad peak hour usage sucking up all the bandwidth, I'd not recommend Sling.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've literally never had a problem with anything Internet connection related until I got Sling.

The FSU game went off 5-6 times; I came here to find out what was going on.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation All-American Tide&True's Avatar

At some point I plan to use streaming with Hulu. Currently have cable. Since cable providers are losing customers they are bound to raise rates to compensate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "They've got a name for the winners in the world....they call Alabama the Crimson Tide"
    -Steely Dan

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates "Hotter than Dog Days here!!!"

I have DTV in my home in Atlanta and use a Slingbox 500 and stream, I've done this for over 6 years and have not missed a game, I also use a Majic Jack and talk to my friend during the games and I only have 5 to 10 second lag here in Abu Dhabi.
    "WHAT THE HELL'S THE MATTER WITH YOU PEOPLE DOWN THERE? DON'T Y'ALL TAKE YOUR FOOTBALL SERIOUSLY?" -- Coach Bryant, upon calling Auburn at 6 AM only to find out that none of the coaches were in their offices yet!

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tide&True View Post
    At some point I plan to use streaming with Hulu. Currently have cable. Since cable providers are losing customers they are bound to raise rates to compensate.

They didn't have what we needed last year or I would have done that.
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

Quote Originally Posted by Intl.Aperture View Post
    I've used Sling TV for 4 years and never had an issue. I pay for pretty snappy internet.

There is a delay but all my friends know not to text me about the game or I'll cut their nads off.

So, to be fair, Sling doesn't suck, your local bandwidth and provider sucks.

Sling requires the data that it requires to stream live television at a consistent 60fps and 1080p. There is compression happening but you still need a healthy internet connection for it to work properly.

For anyone with dicey internet or really bad peak hour usage sucking up all the bandwidth, I'd not recommend Sling.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    When you say “snappy” for your internet do you mean higher speeds than the normal Comcast internet?

BamaNation First Team 12Namath12's Avatar

Spectrum...

Still using cable here - I cannot stand visual compression artifacts and even with our fast internet connection, I always see data compression on the various streaming services I've tried.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonSEC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    Cable. Until I stop hearing people talk about all the tradeoffs involved in "cutting the cord", I'm sticking with what works. It's worth it to me to not have the delays, the bad picture quality, and freezing streams involved in the alternatives. No one that I personally know has really been happy with the swap and they have experienced exactly what you have.
    This. I pay $160 for cable and 100MB internet right now and may swap the TV out for DTV sometime this year. I long for the day for true a-la-carte TV.
    Lee

"A long way," he said after being asked how far the Crimson Tide had come since Coach Nick Saban arrived three years ago. "I guess you could say it's the distance from Shreveport to Pasadena."
    Mike Johnson

BamaNation Hall of Fame

ATTUVERSE.
    Not as cheap as some of the others, but it is dependable, with a great picture.
    I've thought about cutting the cord, but I'm not sold on doing so.
    Maybe in the future...

This thread seems like a good spot to ask a technical question. I have Charter/Spectrum and have many Bama football games on DVR - including several national championship games. Does anyone know a way to transfer/copy those games to another media device? Is it even possible? These cable boxes are finicky and you're never more than a reset away from losing everything that has been recorded.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by edwd58 View Post
    This thread seems like a good spot to ask a technical question. I have Charter/Spectrum and have many Bama football games on DVR - including several national championship games. Does anyone know a way to transfer/copy those games to another media device? Is it even possible? These cable boxes are finicky and you're never more than a reset away from losing everything that has been recorded.
    They choose to make it very difficult, relying on copyright grounds...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

“I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.” Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis