How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Still using cable here - I cannot stand visual compression artifacts and even with our fast internet connection, I always see data compression on the various streaming services I've tried.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Cable. Until I stop hearing people talk about all the tradeoffs involved in "cutting the cord", I'm sticking with what works. It's worth it to me to not have the delays, the bad picture quality, and freezing streams involved in the alternatives. No one that I personally know has really been happy with the swap and they have experienced exactly what you have.
This. I pay $160 for cable and 100MB internet right now and may swap the TV out for DTV sometime this year. I long for the day for true a-la-carte TV.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
ATTUVERSE.
Not as cheap as some of the others, but it is dependable, with a great picture.
I've thought about cutting the cord, but I'm not sold on doing so.
Maybe in the future...

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
This thread seems like a good spot to ask a technical question. I have Charter/Spectrum and have many Bama football games on DVR - including several national championship games. Does anyone know a way to transfer/copy those games to another media device? Is it even possible? These cable boxes are finicky and you're never more than a reset away from losing everything that has been recorded.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This thread seems like a good spot to ask a technical question. I have Charter/Spectrum and have many Bama football games on DVR - including several national championship games. Does anyone know a way to transfer/copy those games to another media device? Is it even possible? These cable boxes are finicky and you're never more than a reset away from losing everything that has been recorded.
They choose to make it very difficult, relying on copyright grounds...

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I've literally never had a problem with anything Internet connection related until I got Sling.
The FSU game went off 5-6 times; I came here to find out what was going on.
I went from my two wire AT&T internet to WOW cable internet at 100 Mbps. I placed my cable modem next to my ROKU and hard wired it. This has tremendously reduced my interruptions. If a lag occurs I re-select the channel and it is cured immediately. The only streaming channel I experience loss of signal is with ESPN play which has proven to me to be unreliable.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I'm definitely cutting the chord. I'm with Dish Network right now. Won't be after tomorrow. They just keep going up in price.

I've tried Sling TV week trial which I'll cancel tonight. It works OK but I can't get local channel streaming.

I'm currently on a Hulu trial which works as well as Sling but I get streaming local channels. I did get frustrated yesterday during the B-ball game due to skipping and freezing. Also locked up last night on UFC before the Anders fight. Guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Looking into the availability of Charter/Spectrum w/o their internet service so if anyone has comment or recommendation on that I'd appreciated it. Can't get the internet service at my location.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I do want to say that if you are streaming with a wireless router that is not capable of handling the load then it will never work as desired. The wireless routers that come with your cable modem are almost always invariably crap. And every cheap one will be as well. You can get some less expensive that work well and some more expensive that don't. If you aren't sure get a nerd to look at your setup (and layout of your pad) and make a recommendation.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've done it but didn't have Charter/Spectrum.

What I did was run the lines through my DVD recorder (the out line from the box into the DVD recorder, the out line into the TV).

On RARE occasions I've had trouble. The Texas Rangers don't want me recording regular season games (but Fox didn't mind me getting the World Series - go figure).

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA
ATTUVERSE.
Not as cheap as some of the others, but it is dependable, with a great picture.
I've thought about cutting the cord, but I'm not sold on doing so.
Maybe in the future...
I also have U-Verse and I pay a lot for it but I am not technologically advanced so I plan to stay with it, but last week my cable box went out. I had to remove it (they sent me a new one--in one day). When I changed them out I found out I lost ALL my football games that I had DVR'd. FOUR of our last 5 championships! I was just sick. I have two other boxes in my house so I didn't know that was going to happen. I hope during the summer maybe ESPN will replay the 2017 game and I can DVR that one at least...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
we've been streaming for 5-6 years now. this year, i went with hulu live. it was better than the espn stream (less dropping and not as much lag behind real time). the clemson game is the only time i had it lose connection for a few minutes and that was more a comcast issue in my neighborhood that evening. i was able to sign up for the service at the start of the season and cancel at the end. the only complaint i had was that it is quirky switching between channels as you would not come back to the live feed, but where you left off. this was a slight issue when our games would start on espnu then move to espn. i was usually able to get back to live feed at the following commercial break. this fall was the beta version so hopefully they will have that worked out next season.

jme

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 1, 2018
I have Sling and other than being a tad behind mine works great . I have a antenna and a roku with Charter internet it saves me $100 a month by streaming

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
I'm definitely cutting the chord. I'm with Dish Network right now. Won't be after tomorrow. They just keep going up in price.

I've tried Sling TV week trial which I'll cancel tonight. It works OK but I can't get local channel streaming.

I'm currently on a Hulu trial which works as well as Sling but I get streaming local channels. I did get frustrated yesterday during the B-ball game due to skipping and freezing. Also locked up last night on UFC before the Anders fight. Guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Looking into the availability of Charter/Spectrum w/o their internet service so if anyone has comment or recommendation on that I'd appreciated it. Can't get the internet service at my location.
I have DISH. They don't mind (if you don't mind) playing the "I'm going to cancel!" game. I get 250ch + sports package + HBO for $67 a month. Have to call and threaten every 6 months and they extend it. I have Comcast basic internet for $25 a month. It's not really intended for streaming but it works well enough because I rarely have to use it, so they don't slopw me down. I haven't seen any better deals for me, but I'm not a gamer. I'd love to be, but I don't have enough hours in the day as it is!

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
It's Eli on the radio for me, if I'm not working the game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I got DTV total choice for 50 a month for two years. After that, they go up but I simply call and state I'm interested in cancelling and they knock 25 off for a year. So I really only pay 75 a month and get every Bama game that comes on tv with the channels included. By the time I pay for all the other streaming services to get all of these, i would be paying that price or more anyway.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Have to say I have Amazon Fire Stick, Kodi, Sportdevil, and I get my ESPN/NBC Sports channels using the app (my friend allows me to use their log in info) as well as NBC Sports Gold ($50 a year). I have the basic channels using my a local provider. In this way I get all my EPL, Champions League, FA Cup, etc. football (aka soccer games) and watch Bama on my local CBS channel or using ESPN channels, This way I don't miss a thing and my bill is way, way down. I can also watch ANY NFL game via Sportsdevil so goodbye NFL game pkg on DirectTV. My only gripe is with Fox Sports which has the most awful FA Cup coverage as they only cover 2 games per FA Cup day.

Kodi can be downloaded directly on your Fire Stick using YouTube instructions. Ask among your friends if they have Kodi and Sports Devil and let them help you download it. I tried to do it myself and buggered it up so I had to wait for my son to get off work to sort it all out.

Have to say I don't have a problem with internet speed as I live in Gig City so my speed is 1,000 Mb or 1 Kb.

Last edited:

LittleCountry

Dec 7, 2017
I have been on Playstation Vue for almost 2 years now. Never had any issues with them. There is about an 8 second delay, but I just silence my phone during games if I don't want to get texts. The amount we save is well worth the delay. I can't tell a difference in picture quality at all.

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC
Still using cable here - I cannot stand visual compression artifacts and even with our fast internet connection, I always see data compression on the various streaming services I've tried.
I’m giving DirecTV Now a try, and it’s streams look significantly better than what comes over Spectrum’s antique cable boxes.

I pre-paid 4 months at $35/month and they threw in an Apple TV. If I can find a solution to the local channels, I’ll probably keep it and cut the cable off. If not, I’ll cancel DirecTV Now and keep the Apple TV. I’m too far away to pick up anything over the air without an outdoor antenna, and even with that, no CBS or NBC. All I really want the local channels for is local news and sports.

Hulu Live offers all our local channels, but the rest of their lineup is puny and no Golf Channel, AMC, Discovery and a few others I like make it a non-starter.

If I lived where I could get OTA channels, DirecTV Now would easily be my choice if I were to cut the cord. It would only save me about $40/month to cut it and right now I’m not convinced it’s worth the hassle.

Last edited:

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
... My other decision this fall was to try the streaming service from SlingTV. I'm gonna be blunt - it sucked. Not that I didn't get plenty of games There were multiple problems.

1) I was about 90-120 seconds behind everyone else. I had to go turn my phone off the night of the UGA game because I kept getting texts from folks right before something huge happened.

2) Because of this, of course, my participation in our game threads here was nonexistent. After the FSU game - where I was both behind and reading comments - I knew what happened well before I saw it, which stunk.

3) The other problem - limited by comparison - was that any game that had a LOT of people watching it kept sticking and losing the connection. I can say a LOT of bad things about cable, but I never lost a connection based on "oops, too many people are trying to watch the game." ...

... Looking for recommendations from the best fan base in cfb please.

Thx.
... I subscribed to Sling for a season or so, run thru my Roku. I, too, was not happy with the lag. I tried watching the game and listening to Eli call the game on the radio. That didn't last long. Also, I was not happy with the picture quality, but that might have had more to do with it being an older Roku unit. Bottom line, the price was the only thing satisfying about Sling.

Much like you, I only watch college football games, but my wife talked me into getting U-Verse this time last year. The DVR was a lemon and I had to find an alternative for the New Years day games. That alternative was YouTube TV. I loved it. I only took advantage of the 7 day trial, but I was very pleased with it's features and "user friendliness". When my U-Verse contract expires I will head straight to YouTube TV.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.