How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice) - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    I've literally never had a problem with anything Internet connection related until I got Sling.
    The FSU game went off 5-6 times; I came here to find out what was going on.
    I went from my two wire AT&T internet to WOW cable internet at 100 Mbps. I placed my cable modem next to my ROKU and hard wired it. This has tremendously reduced my interruptions. If a lag occurs I re-select the channel and it is cured immediately. The only streaming channel I experience loss of signal is with ESPN play which has proven to me to be unreliable.

2. Advertisement

I'm definitely cutting the chord. I'm with Dish Network right now. Won't be after tomorrow. They just keep going up in price.

I've tried Sling TV week trial which I'll cancel tonight. It works OK but I can't get local channel streaming.

I'm currently on a Hulu trial which works as well as Sling but I get streaming local channels. I did get frustrated yesterday during the B-ball game due to skipping and freezing. Also locked up last night on UFC before the Anders fight. Guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Looking into the availability of Charter/Spectrum w/o their internet service so if anyone has comment or recommendation on that I'd appreciated it. Can't get the internet service at my location.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

I do want to say that if you are streaming with a wireless router that is not capable of handling the load then it will never work as desired. The wireless routers that come with your cable modem are almost always invariably crap. And every cheap one will be as well. You can get some less expensive that work well and some more expensive that don't. If you aren't sure get a nerd to look at your setup (and layout of your pad) and make a recommendation.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edwd58 View Post
    This thread seems like a good spot to ask a technical question. I have Charter/Spectrum and have many Bama football games on DVR - including several national championship games. Does anyone know a way to transfer/copy those games to another media device? Is it even possible? These cable boxes are finicky and you're never more than a reset away from losing everything that has been recorded.
    I've done it but didn't have Charter/Spectrum.

What I did was run the lines through my DVD recorder (the out line from the box into the DVD recorder, the out line into the TV).

On RARE occasions I've had trouble. The Texas Rangers don't want me recording regular season games (but Fox didn't mind me getting the World Series - go figure).
    "And if I die in Raleigh - at least I will die free"

"In 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Tuscaloosa underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...the REC."

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    ATTUVERSE.
    Not as cheap as some of the others, but it is dependable, with a great picture.
    I've thought about cutting the cord, but I'm not sold on doing so.
    Maybe in the future...
    I also have U-Verse and I pay a lot for it but I am not technologically advanced so I plan to stay with it, but last week my cable box went out. I had to remove it (they sent me a new one--in one day). When I changed them out I found out I lost ALL my football games that I had DVR'd. FOUR of our last 5 championships! I was just sick. I have two other boxes in my house so I didn't know that was going to happen. I hope during the summer maybe ESPN will replay the 2017 game and I can DVR that one at least...

we've been streaming for 5-6 years now. this year, i went with hulu live. it was better than the espn stream (less dropping and not as much lag behind real time). the clemson game is the only time i had it lose connection for a few minutes and that was more a comcast issue in my neighborhood that evening. i was able to sign up for the service at the start of the season and cancel at the end. the only complaint i had was that it is quirky switching between channels as you would not come back to the live feed, but where you left off. this was a slight issue when our games would start on espnu then move to espn. i was usually able to get back to live feed at the following commercial break. this fall was the beta version so hopefully they will have that worked out next season.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Second Team

I have Sling and other than being a tad behind mine works great . I have a antenna and a roku with Charter internet it saves me $100 a month by streaming

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    I'm definitely cutting the chord. I'm with Dish Network right now. Won't be after tomorrow. They just keep going up in price.

I've tried Sling TV week trial which I'll cancel tonight. It works OK but I can't get local channel streaming.

I'm currently on a Hulu trial which works as well as Sling but I get streaming local channels. I did get frustrated yesterday during the B-ball game due to skipping and freezing. Also locked up last night on UFC before the Anders fight. Guess it's just the nature of the beast.

Looking into the availability of Charter/Spectrum w/o their internet service so if anyone has comment or recommendation on that I'd appreciated it. Can't get the internet service at my location.
    I have DISH. They don't mind (if you don't mind) playing the "I'm going to cancel!" game. I get 250ch + sports package + HBO for $67 a month. Have to call and threaten every 6 months and they extend it. I have Comcast basic internet for $25 a month. It's not really intended for streaming but it works well enough because I rarely have to use it, so they don't slopw me down. I haven't seen any better deals for me, but I'm not a gamer. I'd love to be, but I don't have enough hours in the day as it is!
    A
    A
    Well, get un-tired, because tonite is 2-for-1 crab legs at Captain OíLanders.

It's Eli on the radio for me, if I'm not working the game.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I got DTV total choice for 50 a month for two years. After that, they go up but I simply call and state I'm interested in cancelling and they knock 25 off for a year. So I really only pay 75 a month and get every Bama game that comes on tv with the channels included. By the time I pay for all the other streaming services to get all of these, i would be paying that price or more anyway.
    "I could tell they really didn't want to play against us any longer." - Alabama defensive end Jesse Williams

BamaNation Hall of Fame CHATTBRIT's Avatar

Have to say I have Amazon Fire Stick, Kodi, Sportdevil, and I get my ESPN/NBC Sports channels using the app (my friend allows me to use their log in info) as well as NBC Sports Gold ($50 a year). I have the basic channels using my a local provider. In this way I get all my EPL, Champions League, FA Cup, etc. football (aka soccer games) and watch Bama on my local CBS channel or using ESPN channels, This way I don't miss a thing and my bill is way, way down. I can also watch ANY NFL game via Sportsdevil so goodbye NFL game pkg on DirectTV. My only gripe is with Fox Sports which has the most awful FA Cup coverage as they only cover 2 games per FA Cup day.

Kodi can be downloaded directly on your Fire Stick using YouTube instructions. Ask among your friends if they have Kodi and Sports Devil and let them help you download it. I tried to do it myself and buggered it up so I had to wait for my son to get off work to sort it all out.

Have to say I don't have a problem with internet speed as I live in Gig City so my speed is 1,000 Mb or 1 Kb.
    Last edited by CHATTBRIT; February 5th, 2018 at 01:52 PM.
    Manchester City 2017-2018 English Premier League Champions & Carabou Cup Winners
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation Scout Team

I have been on Playstation Vue for almost 2 years now. Never had any issues with them. There is about an 8 second delay, but I just silence my phone during games if I don't want to get texts. The amount we save is well worth the delay. I can't tell a difference in picture quality at all.

How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Still using cable here - I cannot stand visual compression artifacts and even with our fast internet connection, I always see data compression on the various streaming services I've tried.
    Iím giving DirecTV Now a try, and itís streams look significantly better than what comes over Spectrumís antique cable boxes.

I pre-paid 4 months at $35/month and they threw in an Apple TV. If I can find a solution to the local channels, Iíll probably keep it and cut the cable off. If not, Iíll cancel DirecTV Now and keep the Apple TV. Iím too far away to pick up anything over the air without an outdoor antenna, and even with that, no CBS or NBC. All I really want the local channels for is local news and sports.

Hulu Live offers all our local channels, but the rest of their lineup is puny and no Golf Channel, AMC, Discovery and a few others I like make it a non-starter.

If I lived where I could get OTA channels, DirecTV Now would easily be my choice if I were to cut the cord. It would only save me about $40/month to cut it and right now Iím not convinced itís worth the hassle.
    Last edited by BamaSC; February 4th, 2018 at 10:26 PM.