How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

Crimson Duck

Sep 27, 2010
Montana
If you are worried about delay, keep in mind that over the air antenna is the only true live broadcast. Cable has a 5-10 second delay and satellite up to 15 seconds, while streaming is always going to be much higher. A minimum of 30 seconds to as much as 120 depending on the app. The delay has nothing to do with the bandwidth at your house or your ISP, but with the apps themselves. The content prepared for streaming has to cooperate with so many different platforms that latency will be an issue for everyone. And if the content is a major sporting event higher delay times are unavoidable.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I still say Sling Box is the answer...NOT Sling...A Sling BOX...Hook it up to any cable box....neighbors/friends/brothers...With HDMI cable/adapter you can watch any channel that the television you're connected to gets...anywhere in the world that you have an internet connection. Find someone with multiple TVs and you're in. Your TV will mirror what's on your iPad...I use mine all the time...In the car/vacations...
OK, so the last two years I've bought someone's season tickets and gone to 5-6 games per year (I'm not traveling 1200 miles round trip for Mercer, folks, I made sure they got used though). This year not gonna do it. I'm about to be totally debt free and trying to stockpile money for retirement as I'm now 48 so I will likely limit it to 1-2 games per year so long as I'm living in the Plex.

My other decision this fall was to try the streaming service from SlingTV. I'm gonna be blunt - it sucked. Not that I didn't get plenty of games There were multiple problems.

1) I was about 90-120 seconds behind everyone else. I had to go turn my phone off the night of the UGA game because I kept getting texts from folks right before something huge happened.

2) Because of this, of course, my participation in our game threads here was nonexistent. After the FSU game - where I was both behind and reading comments - I knew what happened well before I saw it, which stunk.

3) The other problem - limited by comparison - was that any game that had a LOT of people watching it kept sticking and losing the connection. I can say a LOT of bad things about cable, but I never lost a connection based on "oops, too many people are trying to watch the game."

So.......since I have seven months to fix this and I'm likely only going to the Auburn (and possibly Mizzou) games next year....what do you use, what's the cost and is it any good?

I'm cancelling my prescription (for madness) after today. No contract was the one redeeming feature. (Folks, I literally don't watch anything on TV but Tide football and some MLB regular season stuff and that only because my brother has the MLB package).

Looking for recommendations from the best fan base in cfb please.

Thx.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
Even easier....Find someone that has one and ask if you can use their login/PW on game days...
I still say Sling Box is the answer...NOT Sling...A Sling BOX...Hook it up to any cable box....neighbors/friends/brothers...With HDMI cable/adapter you can watch any channel that the television you're connected to gets...anywhere in the world that you have an internet connection. Find someone with multiple TVs and you're in. Your TV will mirror what's on your iPad...I use mine all the time...In the car/vacations...

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
We cut the cord in October and haven't looked back. I think that some of the problems I am seeing with posters with Sling has to do with internet speed. I use Sling and am very happy with it. i think i am about 10 seconds delayed, but that is a good trade off for saving about $85 a month. I use a high quality antenna for networks. It picks up over 30 channels, and the networks - NBC, ABC, CBS - come in HD quality.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
You tube tv is what I am planning on trying myself. I have had Dish for years, but ready to switch. Any negatives on You Tube tv would be appreciated, like if it has delay, freezing, or other issues people have listed with other services. You Tube Tv has all the channels I really ever watch. It includes all the espn channels and sec network for 35 a month.
Cut the cable cord in 2014 and haven't looked
Tried YouTube TV this year. Very pleased with the results.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
We cut the cord in October and haven't looked back. I think that some of the problems I am seeing with posters with Sling has to do with internet speed. I use Sling and am very happy with it. i think i am about 10 seconds delayed, but that is a good trade off for saving about $85 a month. I use a high quality antenna for networks. It picks up over 30 channels, and the networks - NBC, ABC, CBS - come in HD quality.
I'm the same way; I've had no complaints with the service that I've received. I've also gotten a few more channels added since I started, and my bill hasn't gone up one penny. It works for us!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Anyone use YouTube TV yet? It looks to be one of the better options for the price. Last I saw, it still had not expanded nationwide, though.

ReturnToGlory

All-American
Nov 22, 2006
Blakely, Georgia
Down here in rural peanut country, we don't have access to good enough internet service to stream. I have to stick it out with DISH. I like it. Wind up paying about $127 per month.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Anyone use YouTube TV yet? It looks to be one of the better options for the price. Last I saw, it still had not expanded nationwide, though.
I tried it early, Atlanta was one of the test markets. Streamed fine, resolution was poor at 480P max and there was very little device support. Hear there is a Roku now, there wasn't then. Didn't work for me

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
So far I have not found streaming tv to be a good option for live sporting events nor does it save me money or provide more choice. I've tried both sling and hulu live and both of them have a lot of problems with live tv and especially sporting events. I have gigabit speed internet service and On-demand content will play without any pausing or skipping but live events are nearly unwatchable at times. I started out using a AT&T hotspot with Sling at the beginning of football season and after a short time it was so bad I had fiber gigabit service installed. That improved Sling but not completely. I had other issues with Sling customer service so at the end of the initial 3 months that I had prepaid for I switched to Hulu Live. It is more expensive but has more channels, DVR, and more on-demand programming than Sling. The live events are not much better than Sling. I noticed that if I record sporting events to watch later it seems that the recorded video has skips in it. The one thing that I noticed that Sling has over Hulu is the SEC Network alternate channel which is not a big deal other than an early season basketball game or two. I dropped Hulu on Monday and will try Youtube TV next. The other options are DirectTVNow and Playstation Vue and I will probably try those in the future.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agree with all the comments IRT why streaming services aren't a better option than traditional cable / satellite. I pay $80/ month with Direct TV for 3 TVs, HD DVR, can watch any channel on phone or tablet, etc. Every year they jack my price up to $120 then I call and say I want to cancel and they give me $40 off for 12 months. The fact you have to call once a year and go through that process is the only drawback. Every time I've looked into switching to a streaming service it doesn't seem like it really saves me much money and I would lose a great deal of functionality. Most streaming services start out around $30/month but by the time you add a sports package, a kids package, multiple TVs etc it ends up anywhere from $50-$70/month. It just isn't worth it to me to save $20/month. I also think a lot of people trick themselves into thinking they are saving money. You should lay out the total price of the streaming service (with all the options and extras) and compare that to the promotional price of cable / satellite. The reason to compare it to the promotional price is that you can always get that price re-instated if you call and threaten to cancel. Sure, if you compare a $30 bare bones streaming service to a non-promotional cable rate of $150 it looks like you're saving money. But by the time you add all your extras to that $30 and then compare it to the cable promo rate you're probably saving around $20 /month. I see people say they're saving $150 / month by "cutting the cord" and I just don't see how that's possible if you compare realistic numbers.

To answer the question in the OP - I would sign up with a cable or satellite provider and just go through hassle of calling once per year to get the promotional rate re-instated. In the end it's just about the same cost as streaming but with less headaches..

GHoppr

Suspended
Oct 18, 2017
Madison, AL.
You tube tv is what I am planning on trying myself. I have had Dish for years, but ready to switch. Any negatives on You Tube tv would be appreciated, like if it has delay, freezing, or other issues people have listed with other services. You Tube Tv has all the channels I really ever watch. It includes all the espn channels and sec network for 35 a month.
So far, no freezing... I also like the fact that it has all my local channels as well... ABC, CBS, NBC which means I can catch the local news.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
the streaming companies better get on the ball quick and fix their services. I paid for Sling and a couple times when it didn't work well I went and found a couple of streams being made available elsewhere that both had no perceptible delay and worked a heck of a lot better than the stream I was paying for. Didn't watch them of course as that would be illegal but when the illegal stream is far better performing than the legal ones that is a situation ripe for issues. FWIW I would also try the WatchESPN APP on Roku with mixed results. Sometimes it worked well, others not so much

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have Sling and other than being a tad behind mine works great . I have a antenna and a roku with Charter internet it saves me $100 a month by streaming
I save over $100.00 per month also. Antenna, Roku, Netflix and ATT-Uverse internet. I am old school and I don't mind the lag. I'll take Lag and $100 for Savings, Alex.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
To do Sling, Netflix, and antenna, it's costing me $35/month, not including what I pay for Internet. I'll take that all day. Especially since we don't watch that much TV to begin with.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I save over $100.00 per month also. Antenna, Roku, Netflix and ATT-Uverse internet. I am old school and I don't mind the lag. I'll take Lag and $100 for Savings, Alex.
To do Sling, Netflix, and antenna, it's costing me $35/month, not including what I pay for Internet. I'll take that all day. Especially since we don't watch that much TV to begin with.
I have U-Verse TV and Internet. If I get rid of the TV, my internet goes up an extra $10 a month. After I pay for any services, I save maybe $20 a month.

RF, how do you say $100 a month if you have U-Verse internet?

We have pretty solid internet, but I get leery of cutting the cord when reading some of the comments about the signal going in-and-out based on the internet quality.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I have U-Verse TV and Internet. If I get rid of the TV, my internet goes up an extra $10 a month. After I pay for any services, I save maybe $20 a month.

RF, how do you say $100 a month if you have U-Verse internet?

We have pretty solid internet, but I get leery of cutting the cord when reading some of the comments about the signal going in-and-out based on the internet quality.
Yea, please provide a price breakdown on the $100 / month savings. My total Direct TV bill is $80 so I'm curious what you were paying for satellite / cable..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.