How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice) - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Big A Re: How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    ... My other decision this fall was to try the streaming service from SlingTV. I'm gonna be blunt - it sucked. Not that I didn't get plenty of games There were multiple problems.

1) I was about 90-120 seconds behind everyone else. I had to go turn my phone off the night of the UGA game because I kept getting texts from folks right before something huge happened.

2) Because of this, of course, my participation in our game threads here was nonexistent. After the FSU game - where I was both behind and reading comments - I knew what happened well before I saw it, which stunk.

3) The other problem - limited by comparison - was that any game that had a LOT of people watching it kept sticking and losing the connection. I can say a LOT of bad things about cable, but I never lost a connection based on "oops, too many people are trying to watch the game." ...

... Looking for recommendations from the best fan base in cfb please.

Thx.
    ... I subscribed to Sling for a season or so, run thru my Roku. I, too, was not happy with the lag. I tried watching the game and listening to Eli call the game on the radio. That didn't last long. Also, I was not happy with the picture quality, but that might have had more to do with it being an older Roku unit. Bottom line, the price was the only thing satisfying about Sling.

Much like you, I only watch college football games, but my wife talked me into getting U-Verse this time last year. The DVR was a lemon and I had to find an alternative for the New Years day games. That alternative was YouTube TV. I loved it. I only took advantage of the 7 day trial, but I was very pleased with it's features and "user friendliness". When my U-Verse contract expires I will head straight to YouTube TV.
    Bama's Back

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Third Team

Re: How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

If you are worried about delay, keep in mind that over the air antenna is the only true live broadcast. Cable has a 5-10 second delay and satellite up to 15 seconds, while streaming is always going to be much higher. A minimum of 30 seconds to as much as 120 depending on the app. The delay has nothing to do with the bandwidth at your house or your ISP, but with the apps themselves. The content prepared for streaming has to cooperate with so many different platforms that latency will be an issue for everyone. And if the content is a major sporting event higher delay times are unavoidable.

I still say Sling Box is the answer...NOT Sling...A Sling BOX...Hook it up to any cable box....neighbors/friends/brothers...With HDMI cable/adapter you can watch any channel that the television you're connected to gets...anywhere in the world that you have an internet connection. Find someone with multiple TVs and you're in. Your TV will mirror what's on your iPad...I use mine all the time...In the car/vacations...
    Quote Originally Posted by selmaborntidefan View Post
    OK, so the last two years I've bought someone's season tickets and gone to 5-6 games per year (I'm not traveling 1200 miles round trip for Mercer, folks, I made sure they got used though). This year not gonna do it. I'm about to be totally debt free and trying to stockpile money for retirement as I'm now 48 so I will likely limit it to 1-2 games per year so long as I'm living in the Plex.

My other decision this fall was to try the streaming service from SlingTV. I'm gonna be blunt - it sucked. Not that I didn't get plenty of games There were multiple problems.

1) I was about 90-120 seconds behind everyone else. I had to go turn my phone off the night of the UGA game because I kept getting texts from folks right before something huge happened.

2) Because of this, of course, my participation in our game threads here was nonexistent. After the FSU game - where I was both behind and reading comments - I knew what happened well before I saw it, which stunk.

3) The other problem - limited by comparison - was that any game that had a LOT of people watching it kept sticking and losing the connection. I can say a LOT of bad things about cable, but I never lost a connection based on "oops, too many people are trying to watch the game."

So.......since I have seven months to fix this and I'm likely only going to the Auburn (and possibly Mizzou) games next year....what do you use, what's the cost and is it any good?

I'm cancelling my prescription (for madness) after today. No contract was the one redeeming feature. (Folks, I literally don't watch anything on TV but Tide football and some MLB regular season stuff and that only because my brother has the MLB package).

Looking for recommendations from the best fan base in cfb please.

Thx.

Even easier....Find someone that has one and ask if you can use their login/PW on game days...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ols View Post
    I still say Sling Box is the answer...NOT Sling...A Sling BOX...Hook it up to any cable box....neighbors/friends/brothers...With HDMI cable/adapter you can watch any channel that the television you're connected to gets...anywhere in the world that you have an internet connection. Find someone with multiple TVs and you're in. Your TV will mirror what's on your iPad...I use mine all the time...In the car/vacations...

We cut the cord in October and haven't looked back. I think that some of the problems I am seeing with posters with Sling has to do with internet speed. I use Sling and am very happy with it. i think i am about 10 seconds delayed, but that is a good trade off for saving about $85 a month. I use a high quality antenna for networks. It picks up over 30 channels, and the networks - NBC, ABC, CBS - come in HD quality.
    Saying ‘I'’m sorry’ is the same as saying ‘I apologize...except at a funeral.”

Cut the cable cord in 2014 and haven't looked back.

Tried YouTube TV this year. Very pleased with the results.

You tube tv is what I am planning on trying myself. I have had Dish for years, but ready to switch. Any negatives on You Tube tv would be appreciated, like if it has delay, freezing, or other issues people have listed with other services. You Tube Tv has all the channels I really ever watch. It includes all the espn channels and sec network for 35 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by GHoppr View Post
    Cut the cable cord in 2014 and haven't looked
    Tried YouTube TV this year. Very pleased with the results.

BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tidehawk View Post
    We cut the cord in October and haven't looked back. I think that some of the problems I am seeing with posters with Sling has to do with internet speed. I use Sling and am very happy with it. i think i am about 10 seconds delayed, but that is a good trade off for saving about $85 a month. I use a high quality antenna for networks. It picks up over 30 channels, and the networks - NBC, ABC, CBS - come in HD quality.
    I'm the same way; I've had no complaints with the service that I've received. I've also gotten a few more channels added since I started, and my bill hasn't gone up one penny. It works for us!
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

Anyone use YouTube TV yet? It looks to be one of the better options for the price. Last I saw, it still had not expanded nationwide, though.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation All-American ReturnToGlory's Avatar

Down here in rural peanut country, we don't have access to good enough internet service to stream. I have to stick it out with DISH. I like it. Wind up paying about $127 per month.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I hate Sling for this very reason..... loses signal waaaaaaay too often.

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Anyone use YouTube TV yet? It looks to be one of the better options for the price. Last I saw, it still had not expanded nationwide, though.
    I tried it early, Atlanta was one of the test markets. Streamed fine, resolution was poor at 480P max and there was very little device support. Hear there is a Roku now, there wasn't then. Didn't work for me
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett

BamaNation All-American

So far I have not found streaming tv to be a good option for live sporting events nor does it save me money or provide more choice. I've tried both sling and hulu live and both of them have a lot of problems with live tv and especially sporting events. I have gigabit speed internet service and On-demand content will play without any pausing or skipping but live events are nearly unwatchable at times. I started out using a AT&T hotspot with Sling at the beginning of football season and after a short time it was so bad I had fiber gigabit service installed. That improved Sling but not completely. I had other issues with Sling customer service so at the end of the initial 3 months that I had prepaid for I switched to Hulu Live. It is more expensive but has more channels, DVR, and more on-demand programming than Sling. The live events are not much better than Sling. I noticed that if I record sporting events to watch later it seems that the recorded video has skips in it. The one thing that I noticed that Sling has over Hulu is the SEC Network alternate channel which is not a big deal other than an early season basketball game or two. I dropped Hulu on Monday and will try Youtube TV next. The other options are DirectTVNow and Playstation Vue and I will probably try those in the future.