How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

Sgtsmokdu

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 10, 2011
We cut the cord about 2 years. I purchased a Nvidia Shield pro (Android type box)and haven't looked back since. I use Kodi, with a subscription to Gears Of War ($17.00 per month with a channel guide, 200+ channels from USA/UK/CANADA) for all of my "live" TV. You're able to put this service on any device that can use Kodi but can only stream one at a time unless you are subscribed to the family plan and then you're limited to watching on 3 devices at a time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I’ve been with DirecTV Now since they launched in late 2016, when they were doing the $35, for as long as you have the service, Go Big package promo. So far they’ve been true to their word and I’m still only pay $35 for just over 100 channels. Plus they threw in HBO free for a year for early adopters. No locals but we use an antenna for those.

Anyway, I’m very happy with the service and quality of the streaming. The first few months where rough but is now way better. Very rarely do we have any issues with buffering or streams freezing. Watched a ton of football this season without any issues. Works a whole lot better then the WatchESPN app. Only downside is there is no cloud DVR. They are working on one, and I’m beta testing the new app with DVR but, there are still bugs and it’s probably still months away from launch. I’m sticking with DTVN because none of the other OTT services can beat 100+ channels for only $35.

We cut the cord about 5 years ago and have tried most of the major OTT services, Hulu Live, Sling TV and PS Vue. I hated Sling, buffered all the time and the app was the clunkiest one of all. With Hulu Live, I just hated the redesigned Hulu app, made it hard to just watch and browse live TV. This was when it first launched so maybe they’ve improved.

PS Vue was my favorite until DTVN, and considered going back until DTVN started beta testing their cloud DVR. PS Vue is really good and has plenty of channels. My biggest beef was when I had it they didn’t carry Sports South or FS Southeast. That’s a must have for me so I can watch the Braves.

Haven’t tried YouTube TV because it is not available in my area. Plus it has far fewer channels for the same price I’m pay DTVN, so I doubt I’ll even bother when it is available.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I had a discount on my Direct TV bill that was $40 off for 12 months. The discount fell off last month so I called and asked to have it re-applied. They said they didn't have any discounts for my current package but I could get $60 off for 12 months on a higher package. I said no thanks and that I'd like to set up a cancellation date. They then came back and said they could apply the $60 off for 12 months on my current package. So I've got 3 TVs hooked up, HD DVR, streaming on the go etc. for $60/month. You can still get really good deals with cable / satellite companies if you know how their system works. Just call whenever your new customer discount falls off and ask for it to be reapplied. If they say they can't then say you want to set up a date for service cancellation and they almost always come back and give you the same or better discount. Only have to do it once a year and you're all set..

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I tried the "Sling" trial. Then tried the "Hulu" trial. I ended up going with the Hulu $40 package and said goodbye to "Dish Network". Hulu was a quite a bit skippy initially but they've since gone from 30fps to 60fps and it's good. Not excellent but good. I watch basketball games with occasional skips and backups but that happens on most all live streaming I watch. I'll put up with it since I've cut my cost by 75%.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I tried the "Sling" trial. Then tried the "Hulu" trial. I ended up going with the Hulu $40 package and said goodbye to "Dish Network". Hulu was a quite a bit skippy initially but they've since gone from 30fps to 60fps and it's good. Not excellent but good. I watch basketball games with occasional skips and backups but that happens on most all live streaming I watch. I'll put up with it since I've cut my cost by 75%.
75%? You were paying $200 solely for Dish?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This always confuses me when folks talk about cutting cable. I've read posts where people say they're saving over $200/month by cutting cable. What type of setup do people have where their cable bill alone is even close to $200? My non-discounted rate for Direct TV is $120 and that's with 3 TVs hooked up, HD, DVR, etc. I'm not saying CrimSonami is doing this but I think a lot of people exaggerate their savings to make them feel better about their choice or they didn't bother to check the market rate for cable..

Last edited:

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States
We switched from DirecTV to DirecTV Now last fall. We've been generally pleased with the quality and quite pleased with the price. However, in calculating cost, you need to consider whether you need to raise any data limits with your internet provider and any other subscriptions you may need. We live in a relatively rural area, and DTVN doesn't include any of our local channels. It varies by location, bigger cities coming first, but I don't think the Macon viewing area is high on the list to be added. We got a $30 antenna to hang in the window above the TV and we get the local CBS, FOX, and ABC over that. You have to subscribe separately to PBS (excuse me, donate $5 per month). If you can't get a CBS channel, you'll need to pay $6.99 for All-Access.

You have to learn to pick up some things off other apps, although DTVN will often give you access. For example, I watched the Olympics and the Super Bowl on the NBC Sports App. Video quality is usually good with less buffering as time goes by. Streaming is still relatively new technology and the services are adding capacity.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Well it's closer to 67%. It was $123 and they announced another rate hike. When we called them to cancel they then offered a lower rate for a limited time. Had a lotta channels we never watched and 2 boxes with the 2nd seldom used so it was a no.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
This always confuses me when folks talk about cutting cable. I've read posts where people say they're saving over $200/month by cutting cable. What type of setup do people have where their cable bill alone is even close to $200? My non-discounted rate for Direct TV is $120 and that's with 3 TVs hooked up, HD, DVR, etc. I'm not saying CrimSonami is doing this but I think a lot of people exaggerate their savings to make them feel better about their choice or they didn't bother to check the market rate for cable..
If you were on AT&T Uverse in my area, by the time you purchased the package that had SEC Network, and the kids channels you needed, got the HD DVR, extra box for extra TV, DSL internet, 2 cell phones and 2 iPads with unlimited data, your bill would be close to $600 per month.

Now my TV and internet costs combined are now less than $100 per month. So the savings is approaching $200 per month for us.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If you were on AT&T Uverse in my area, by the time you purchased the package that had SEC Network, and the kids channels you needed, got the HD DVR, extra box for extra TV, DSL internet, 2 cell phones and 2 iPads with unlimited data, your bill would be close to $600 per month.

Now my TV and internet costs combined are now less than $100 per month. So the savings is approaching $200 per month for us.

Geez.

I have U-Verse now and pay $120 a month for TV and internet. Granted, I don't get all the channels.

Did see today my 24 month discount on my TV package expires in May. Will have to negotiate it back down when that time comes.

Tider6972

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 21, 2000
Montgomery, Al USA
yep, lots of rationalizing.
I have, over the years, tried every way known to man. Bottom line, one can't get good, consistent quality 'cutting the cord'. Have to settle for a ton of frustration, lost signal, and crappy unreliable picture quality.

It ain't worth the "savings". JMO

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If I understand your post then you have to separate the cable and internet from the 2 cell phones, 2 ipads, unlimited date etc. and figure out exactly what you were paying for just cable and internet. Then compare that to what you're paying now and take into consideration that you probably have less channels and features with a streaming service. I've found that bundling everything together is not necessarily cheaper. I'm paying roughly $300/month for 2 phones on Verizon ($160), Direct TV ($60) and AT&T Giga Power fiber internet ($90). You might want to shop around if you were paying $600 for what you listed because the only difference vs what I listed is you had 2 more devices on your phone plan which shouldn't cost $300/ month more..

Last edited:

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
We just switched from Uverse to Comcast XFinity yesterday and I lost all my BAMA football recordings. I am especially upset that I lost the 2 Clemson games (the ones we won) and the Championship game v UGA recently. I will have to look on SEC network or other channels to see when they replay those to record them again.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
We just switched from Uverse to Comcast XFinity yesterday and I lost all my BAMA football recordings. I am especially upset that I lost the 2 Clemson games (the ones we won) and the Championship game v UGA recently. I will have to look on SEC network or other channels to see when they replay those to record them again.
Youtube typically has full games up. Haven't looked for those specifically, but if you have any type of app streaming system (Ie: Roku or firestick) you can download the YouTube app and watch most of our recent games and usually the quality is fair-good.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
ESPN/Disney came out with ESPN+ today. Could be cool. I started the free trial to check it out. Click here for an article about it
Talked about it some in a thread on NS. There doesn’t appear anything significant on it. Not worth $5 a month if you’re wanting to cut the cord and still watch football or basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I’ve switched from Sling to Direct TV Now. During the tourney I didn’t notice too much of a lag. Nothing like Sling. It’s a bit more expensive but have more channels, two locals, and multistream for $25 (three month promotion) and it it goes to $45. So far I’m satisfied with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Interestingly, I received a letter yesterday from AT&T thanking me for enrolling in cell phone coverage for $9 per month. I got a new phone back at Christmas and decided to forego the insurance. Since then, they have called me every day according to caller ID trying to get me to sign up. I have rejected every single call. So it appears they are taking another approach which is to enroll me with out my consent and see if I will turn it off. Its unbelievable at they will do. I will have some real fun with that call tomorrow...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.