How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice) - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    This leads me to suspect that Google/YouTube has much more infrastructure and capability for streaming than does Sling or ESPN.
    I can't say that Google/Youtube is better than Sling/Hulu/ESPN for live sporting events but I will find out soon since I just signed up for a free trial today. I definitely agree with you that the streaming infrastructure is the key. When I am having issues streaming a game I can switch to some other streaming program and not have any issues. Also, I can browse the internet with any problems so it is obvious to me the problem is not on my end.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American CaliforniaTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EscaTider View Post
    For those that have cut the cord completely, what's your internet situation...cable or fiber? Cable is my only viable high speed option, and sling freezes repeatedly during peak hours. Staying with Dish for now, at least until they upgrade to fiber in our town- which is coming at some point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    We have cable, but Google Fiber just got laid down in our neighborhood in the last week.
    It's the edge of the world
    And all of Western civilization
    The sun may rise in the East
    At least it settles in its final location
    It's understood that Hollywood
    Sells Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers in Californication

Look at that dude go all Dareus on that colt...

BamaNation All-American

I signed up for a free trial of youtube tv after getting rid of hulu live and so far there have been no glitches with the UA-MSU basketball game.

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

FYI:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/07/es...h-this-spring/

ETA: It does not include the main channels, so ????!!!
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation All-American

For the record after 2 days I have been MUCH more pleased with youtube tv than with either sling tv or hulu live. The basketball game Tuesday night was flawless as has been the fe other live events (non-sports) that I've watched.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edwd58 View Post
    This thread seems like a good spot to ask a technical question. I have Charter/Spectrum and have many Bama football games on DVR - including several national championship games. Does anyone know a way to transfer/copy those games to another media device? Is it even possible? These cable boxes are finicky and you're never more than a reset away from losing everything that has been recorded.
    I used to do this, and it was a giant hassle, way more than something like this should be.

However, I was able to do it, and in the process, became far more intimate with the details of video codecs than I ever intended to be.

I also spent many hours per game viewing and re-viewing each play, cutting out commercials, looking for glitched frames, etc.

It was also not cheap in terms of cash outlay for hardware to support video processing, which is highly demanding in general.

Plus, occasional crashes while recording would waste time, and I would have to start over.

If you still want to do this, you will need a few things:

1) a fast computer with an enormous amount of free hard drive space, the bigger and faster the better. I used multiple 1TB drives in a RAID 0 (striping without parity) configuration for maximum speed, and that was just for the capture drive. For the storage drive, I used a 2TB drive, but if I were doing it again, I would go 6TB or better yet, a NAS with multiple drives. I now have such a NAS, but I don't do this video capture anymore.

2) A video capture card such as a Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro

3) Component video output on your DVR. HDMI is likely to have protection on it which will defeat capture, but digital copy protection is literally impossible with the RGB analog signal of component video.

4) A video capture/editing program (I used VirtualDub, which was not only free, but worked a million times better than other video capture/editing programs)

5) An audio editing program (I used Audacity)

5) Nearly infinite patience for computer programs not working for inexplicable reasons.

6) Excellent troubleshooting skills

7) A lot of free time

Note: I know I have made reference to some specific commercial products in this post, but I do so only because they have worked for me. I specifically recommend against having anything to do with this painful process. After editing together one of these games and checking it for video glitches, you will never want or need to watch it again.

If you are still reading this, and are still committed to pursuing this endeavor, I would be glad to answer any particular questions, or offer any further insights when you reach your breaking point of frustration, as I feel like I have been through it all and still have not murdered anyone nor destroyed any expensive equipment.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-American Snuffy Smith's Avatar

My son just went with YouTube TV & loves it. Watched the super bowl with no lags or pixelation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FB|BB Moderator NationalTitles17's Avatar

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hulu/duplic...ting_in_60fps/

Hulu is phasing in 60fps viewing, which will help with sports - IF your connection is fast enough to support it.
    Roll Tide Roll!!!

The TideFan formerly known as NationalTitles16, NationalTitles15, NationalTitles14, NationalTitles13, and NationalTitles12.

BamaNation First Team

Just an update. After viewing this thread I changed over to YouTube TV with WOW internet wired directly to my Roku. I am totally pleased with the results and the quality of live TV.
    I spend around $65 per month currently. I would expect the only improvements I could make from here would be if fiber became available and possibly updating my Roku box.

Quote Originally Posted by UAH View Post
    Just an update. After viewing this thread I changed over to YouTube TV with WOW internet wired directly to my Roku. I am totally pleased with the results and the quality of live TV.
    I spend around $65 per month currently. I would expect the only improvements I could make from here would be if fiber became available and possibly updating my Roku box.
    Is that $65 for YouTube TV and internet?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    I want to know where / how people are getting $30 internet that's usable. If you get stand alone internet in my area it starts at about $50 but you'll want to pay closer to $70 for higher speeds and no data cap..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    I want to know where / how people are getting $30 internet that's usable. If you get stand alone internet in my area it starts at about $50 but you'll want to pay closer to $70 for higher speeds and no data cap..
    Agreed.

UAH has WOW, which does have a $30/month plan, but it's not fast at all.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Yes WOW offers basic internet 100 Mbps on a two year contract for $29.99 obviously it will increase after the contract. YouTube TV is $35. My modem is $10/mo. unless I purchase one Previously I had AT&T two wire which was slower than advertised for $57/mo with Sling for $30/mo. This current set up is much improved in terms of picture quality, lag issues and drop off in high use periods.

Watched the Bama BB game against MSU and the quality was near HDTV.