How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice) - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CoastGhost's Avatar

Re: How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

When Sling ESPN starts doing its freeze thing, I can usually back out of the channel and restart and it runs normal for a while. That is a pain and it puts you even farther behind real time but an option none the less.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Just announced, starting March 13, YouTube TV will go from $35/month up to $40/month for new subscribers - which will be most users since YouTube TV isn't available in most markets yet. I feel like when it's all said and done these streaming services will be about the same as traditional cable. It's like when T-Mobile came out with really cheap plans to greatly increase their user base. Once they achieved that goal they slowly started raising prices. Streaming is a little cheaper right now but probably won't be the case for much longer..
    Last edited by CrimsonForce; February 13th, 2018 at 04:04 PM.

BamaNation Third Team Sgtsmokdu's Avatar

We cut the cord about 2 years. I purchased a Nvidia Shield pro (Android type box)and haven't looked back since. I use Kodi, with a subscription to Gears Of War ($17.00 per month with a channel guide, 200+ channels from USA/UK/CANADA) for all of my "live" TV. You're able to put this service on any device that can use Kodi but can only stream one at a time unless you are subscribed to the family plan and then you're limited to watching on 3 devices at a time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

How Do You Watch The Tide On TV? (Sling TV Was Awful This Year - Advice)

Iíve been with DirecTV Now since they launched in late 2016, when they were doing the $35, for as long as you have the service, Go Big package promo. So far theyíve been true to their word and Iím still only pay $35 for just over 100 channels. Plus they threw in HBO free for a year for early adopters. No locals but we use an antenna for those.

Anyway, Iím very happy with the service and quality of the streaming. The first few months where rough but is now way better. Very rarely do we have any issues with buffering or streams freezing. Watched a ton of football this season without any issues. Works a whole lot better then the WatchESPN app. Only downside is there is no cloud DVR. They are working on one, and Iím beta testing the new app with DVR but, there are still bugs and itís probably still months away from launch. Iím sticking with DTVN because none of the other OTT services can beat 100+ channels for only $35.

We cut the cord about 5 years ago and have tried most of the major OTT services, Hulu Live, Sling TV and PS Vue. I hated Sling, buffered all the time and the app was the clunkiest one of all. With Hulu Live, I just hated the redesigned Hulu app, made it hard to just watch and browse live TV. This was when it first launched so maybe theyíve improved.

PS Vue was my favorite until DTVN, and considered going back until DTVN started beta testing their cloud DVR. PS Vue is really good and has plenty of channels. My biggest beef was when I had it they didnít carry Sports South or FS Southeast. Thatís a must have for me so I can watch the Braves.

Havenít tried YouTube TV because it is not available in my area. Plus it has far fewer channels for the same price Iím pay DTVN, so I doubt Iíll even bother when it is available.
    Last edited by CrimsonNagus; February 13th, 2018 at 10:16 PM.

I had a discount on my Direct TV bill that was $40 off for 12 months. The discount fell off last month so I called and asked to have it re-applied. They said they didn't have any discounts for my current package but I could get $60 off for 12 months on a higher package. I said no thanks and that I'd like to set up a cancellation date. They then came back and said they could apply the $60 off for 12 months on my current package. So I've got 3 TVs hooked up, HD DVR, streaming on the go etc. for $60/month. You can still get really good deals with cable / satellite companies if you know how their system works. Just call whenever your new customer discount falls off and ask for it to be reapplied. If they say they can't then say you want to set up a date for service cancellation and they almost always come back and give you the same or better discount. Only have to do it once a year and you're all set..

I tried the "Sling" trial. Then tried the "Hulu" trial. I ended up going with the Hulu $40 package and said goodbye to "Dish Network". Hulu was a quite a bit skippy initially but they've since gone from 30fps to 60fps and it's good. Not excellent but good. I watch basketball games with occasional skips and backups but that happens on most all live streaming I watch. I'll put up with it since I've cut my cost by 75%.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    I tried the "Sling" trial. Then tried the "Hulu" trial. I ended up going with the Hulu $40 package and said goodbye to "Dish Network". Hulu was a quite a bit skippy initially but they've since gone from 30fps to 60fps and it's good. Not excellent but good. I watch basketball games with occasional skips and backups but that happens on most all live streaming I watch. I'll put up with it since I've cut my cost by 75%.
    75%? You were paying $200 solely for Dish?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This always confuses me when folks talk about cutting cable. I've read posts where people say they're saving over $200/month by cutting cable. What type of setup do people have where their cable bill alone is even close to $200? My non-discounted rate for Direct TV is $120 and that's with 3 TVs hooked up, HD, DVR, etc. I'm not saying CrimSonami is doing this but I think a lot of people exaggerate their savings to make them feel better about their choice or they didn't bother to check the market rate for cable..
    Last edited by CrimsonForce; March 22nd, 2018 at 01:34 PM.

BamaNation All-SEC

We switched from DirecTV to DirecTV Now last fall. We've been generally pleased with the quality and quite pleased with the price. However, in calculating cost, you need to consider whether you need to raise any data limits with your internet provider and any other subscriptions you may need. We live in a relatively rural area, and DTVN doesn't include any of our local channels. It varies by location, bigger cities coming first, but I don't think the Macon viewing area is high on the list to be added. We got a $30 antenna to hang in the window above the TV and we get the local CBS, FOX, and ABC over that. You have to subscribe separately to PBS (excuse me, donate $5 per month). If you can't get a CBS channel, you'll need to pay $6.99 for All-Access.

You have to learn to pick up some things off other apps, although DTVN will often give you access. For example, I watched the Olympics and the Super Bowl on the NBC Sports App. Video quality is usually good with less buffering as time goes by. Streaming is still relatively new technology and the services are adding capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimSonami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Well it's closer to 67%. It was $123 and they announced another rate hike. When we called them to cancel they then offered a lower rate for a limited time. Had a lotta channels we never watched and 2 boxes with the 2nd seldom used so it was a no.
    "It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that.
    It's the will to prepare to win that matters."
    PAUL "BEAR" BRYANT

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    This always confuses me when folks talk about cutting cable. I've read posts where people say they're saving over $200/month by cutting cable. What type of setup do people have where their cable bill alone is even close to $200? My non-discounted rate for Direct TV is $120 and that's with 3 TVs hooked up, HD, DVR, etc. I'm not saying CrimSonami is doing this but I think a lot of people exaggerate their savings to make them feel better about their choice or they didn't bother to check the market rate for cable..
    If you were on AT&T Uverse in my area, by the time you purchased the package that had SEC Network, and the kids channels you needed, got the HD DVR, extra box for extra TV, DSL internet, 2 cell phones and 2 iPads with unlimited data, your bill would be close to $600 per month.

Now my TV and internet costs combined are now less than $100 per month. So the savings is approaching $200 per month for us.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame bamanut_aj's Avatar

YouTube TV all the way. Iím absolutely head over heels in love with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    If you were on AT&T Uverse in my area, by the time you purchased the package that had SEC Network, and the kids channels you needed, got the HD DVR, extra box for extra TV, DSL internet, 2 cell phones and 2 iPads with unlimited data, your bill would be close to $600 per month.

Now my TV and internet costs combined are now less than $100 per month. So the savings is approaching $200 per month for us.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Geez.

I have U-Verse now and pay $120 a month for TV and internet. Granted, I don't get all the channels.

Did see today my 24 month discount on my TV package expires in May. Will have to negotiate it back down when that time comes.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson