Question: Move Jalen to Slot Receiver?

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
He hasn't lost the QB job yet. You can be sure that he is at least even with Tua at this point. I agree with most that it does not look like Jalen has much chance to win the job, but rest assured that Saban will give him every opportunity. Bama has made it clear (especially the Enos hire) that its primary desire for future QBs is to be able to read defenses, read the field, throw on time and accurately. IMO, this was Saban's desire all along, but circumstances contorted the recent path. Having said that, Enos, his first college QB coach, may provide the teaching that Jalen needs to make a quantum leap. IMO, that is what he needs - a QB coach and quantum leap.

It's unlikely that a starter will be officially announced until the beginning of the '18 season, maybe a game or two in.

Last edited:

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Are we that opposed to a two q.b system? Say we go up against a tough secondary and tua’s Not having a great game, and Jalen gets in and starts exposing the d lines aggressive pass rush? I mean we have basically two different offenses between the two guys. Run the two cohesively. As a defensive coordinator, that has to be a nightmare to plan against, making us even more threatening.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Are we that opposed to a two q.b system? Say we go up against a tough secondary and tua’s Not having a great game, and Jalen gets in and starts exposing the d lines aggressive pass rush? I mean we have basically two different offenses between the two guys. Run the two cohesively. As a defensive coordinator, that has to be a nightmare to plan against, making us even more threatening.
I'm not sure we actually have two different offenses. If the pro style offense is indeed what we are going back to as suggested by some of the recruits and hints from the new coaching hires (and even Saban)..I'm not sure the emphasis on a scrambling qb will be needed as much. Another factor in that is that rotating QBs consistently if one has a bad game can actually be detrimental to that qb in terms of not letting him learn from his mistakes. Personally, I think the emphasis Saban has put on qb play with recent hirings and offensive strategy is going to require less dual threat capability ...in my opinion. I think every qb will have a bad game at times , you only need to worry if that develops into a pattern. Another factor I think about when using a two qb system is how it affects recruiting as far as going against top programs for top qb recruits.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
IMO, our new coaches will help both QB's to improve, but to think Jalen will make large leaps in reading defenses and staying in the pocket is expecting too much. Tua is an exceptional talent and is our QB. Jalen will stay at QB and get lots of mop up duty with Tua starting. I think Jalen will get drafted in the later rounds of the NFL because of his athleticism.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I would be interested to see Jalen play with out being cautious. It would be nice to see him come in and just let it rip. Tua will still be the better passer likely but it seems Jalen just does not want to make a mistake.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I would be interested to see Jalen play with out being cautious. It would be nice to see him come in and just let it rip. Tua will still be the better passer likely but it seems Jalen just does not want to make a mistake.
I think we will see a more aggressive Jalen. I think part of Jalen's problem was that he felt all season that protecting the football was his best chance to protect his starting job. It worked for a long time but now he knows he must really fight hard to win the starting job so he'll probably be taking some chances. I agree that he'll still come up short in the end though as he'll never match Tua as a passer.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
There are tons of NFL players that have been converted college QBs. Hines Ward, Julian Edelman, Tyrell Pryor, Denard Robinson - plenty more. Jalen is a phenomenal athlete, he just may not be the best QB on our roster. It is up to him to decide which direction he wants to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
My biggest question is "how much time did Jalen have to develop. I still think the plan was for Barnett to be the starter and Morris bee the back up and Jalen to refshirt his freshman year, back up Barnett the next and take over his junior year. With Barnett throwing his sucker in the dirt and walking out it thrust Jalen into the starting job. I wonder how much that was to the detriment of Jalen developing as a passer.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I have no idea how this will shake out for Jalen, but he is a great human being and I am pulling for him.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I guess my point is that he has enough talent that he will get a chance to develop at WR in the NFL. In fact, they may appreciate the QB mindset he brings to the position. Play him at QB this year. If he grad transfer, go somewhere that wants him to play QB (which will be a lot of good to great programs). Let the NFL worry about Jalen at WR.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
There posts are ridiculous. If Jalen wants to change positions, that's one thing. But we have THREE scholarship QBs. We should not force him to any other position. If he's willing to stay and be the back up QB, all the better for us. We've had tremendous luck during this run with our QB health. That can change in an instant. Heaven forbid Tua go down, bit if he did, personally, I'd be thanking my lucky stars we have a backup QB like Jalen.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm a big fan of Jalen. I like him at QB.
He might make a great Slot Receiver...
BUT... Jalen came to Alabama to play QB.
I think that's where his heart is.
However...
My guess is Tua will continue to get better,
and is likely to be our starter.
I would hope that Jalen stays at Alabama. He would be one play away from playing all the time. Jalen is a proven winner.
With Jalen and Tua we have an embarrassment of riches at Quarterback.

I like that Jalen could graduate early and maybe transfer to a deserving program. 99% of the colleges in the NCAA would like to have him behind Center. Lets encourage Jalen to stay at Alabama, we might need him.

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
We may see a more aggressive Jalen in the spring, but I don't think we see a totally different Jalen. His ability to read defenses faster, go through progressions faster, and get the ball out quickly are the areas he will need improvements in. That will take more time than spring and fall. I'm grateful he is our backup and hope he stays at QB.

Blueguitar

3rd Team
Nov 19, 2017
I was thinking this as well. Its pretty clear that Saban doesn't like dual QB starters, but this is a unique situation. Main downside I see is that it means Tua would get fewer practice reps than if he were the clear no. 1 QB, and he is still green enough that he could use those reps. But man, could we open up the playbook and be hell for other teams to prepare for. Overall this makes more sense to me than Jalen moving to a position where we are already loaded, like RB or slot receiver. But it's a nice problem to have. #Bamaproblems.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.