Question: Move Jalen to Slot Receiver?

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
How hard is it for a kid who has played qb all his life all of a sudden just over night become an elite rb? Slot receiver? Personally I don't care if Jalen ever becomes an elite level NFL passer. You know what I care about? If he can become a "good" college level qb.
Terrelle Pryor is making a good living in the NFL as a receiver.

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
There are lots of posts that want to have “a special package for Hurts” to keep him from transferring. If this were to happen do you really believe opposing DCs don’t know when #2 comes in what he can and cannot do and make adjustments accordingly?
That is the beauty of him already being in the game at a different position on offense. Will he line up at the slot or qb. Only Bama knows before the huddle breaks. Not to mention RPO opportunities on sweeps.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
One other thought. It's not a guarantee that Jalen could transfer just anywhere and find success. Two years of tape on him would probably reveal some of the same struggles he had at Bama.

AND, on top of that, he wouldn't have the kind of players he had around him at Bama at other schools. Despite his inablility to target our high profile receivers, other teams had to honor the fact he occasionally threw to them. Additionally we had as good of RB rotation anywhere and obvoiusly a pretty good OL. There's no where he could go to find better people around him that doesn't already have a pretty good QB.

Best bet right now is stay, compete and get better!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There are lots of posts that want to have “a special package for Hurts” to keep him from transferring. If this were to happen do you really believe opposing DCs don’t know when #2 comes in what he can and cannot do and make adjustments accordingly?
My recurring thought also. However, the "wildcat" packages have always have an element to them of daring the defense to stop it, even when they know what's coming. This was true all the way back to Palmer. Also, Jalen's throwing threat is much greater than almost all receivers or RBs. (Ardarius, being a HS QB, would be an obvious exception.) I'll be surprised if we don't have some sort of wildcat package...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I think there's still a real chance that Jalen decides to leave, and out QB recruiting doesn't look good at the moment. I hope that Chadarious Townsend is getting a look at the playbook in case Tua and Mac have injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
I think there's still a real chance that Jalen decides to leave, and out QB recruiting doesn't look good at the moment. I hope that Chadarious Townsend is getting a look at the playbook in case Tua and Mac have injuries.
The Iggles' Silver Linings Playbook with Corey Clement running and catching the ball out of the backfield is a better template for Hurts' future.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If he's on track to graduate in 3 years - or could be by aggressively going after it from this Summer through next Spring - then I have no clue why he would leave. It would only make sense for him to bail this Summer if he's behind on his degree progression for 3 year degree completion that a lot of the early enrollees can achieve. Because if he can graduate in 3 then he could play this year AND start somewhere else next year. That beats not playing for a year and likely not getting much coaching since he'd be ineligible wherever he goes. If he stays here then he continues to receive coaching and compete to start.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have a preferred walk on who committed to us yesterday. I wouldn't worry just yet. We are likely to sign two QBs in class of 2019. the class is lot better than 2018.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I don't think Jalen should leave either...but in the worst case scenario where he does and Tua gets Hurt, Mac Jones has a full year and a half in the system and he's taylor made for the type of qb we are expecting Enos to mold and grow. Completely untested at this point, but I'm confident we could manage him like a young GMac or AJ.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
All,

There's the term, Sophomore Slump, for a reason. We have one QB who will be a Junior playing in his third year and clearly has a fire under his chair that needs to be either quickly addressed or he will be a backup.
We have a second player becoming a Sophomore who has the world saying he's the next Joe Montana with a better arm and all of the pressure and problems that come with those expectations.

I'm interested to see how Jalen develops. Some players need 3-4 years to develop. We will see.
Tua may keep developing, or he may be a GREAT bench player. We will just have to find out.

From what I see as a fan, I wouldn't push for a position change from Jalen until the end of this year, only if he doesn't keep developing.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
All,

There's the term, Sophomore Slump, for a reason. We have one QB who will be a Junior playing in his third year and clearly has a fire under his chair that needs to be either quickly addressed or he will be a backup.
We have a second player becoming a Sophomore who has the world saying he's the next Joe Montana with a better arm and all of the pressure and problems that come with those expectations.

I'm interested to see how Jalen develops. Some players need 3-4 years to develop. We will see.
Tua may keep developing, or he may be a GREAT bench player. We will just have to find out.

From what I see as a fan, I wouldn't push for a position change from Jalen until the end of this year, only if he doesn't keep developing.
No doubt Jalen's growth was stunted in his first year. Most QB have that year to grow and learn (like Tua did). But there was no excuse for the lack of growth in year two offensive coordinator being stubborn or else.

And, I just don't see how you might think Tua can only be good coming from the bench. That kind of talent is explosive. Dude needs to stay away from explosives.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
All,

With that degree of contra thinking, I'll bet you sold out just before Friday's drop... :D

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
How hard is it for a kid who has played qb all his life all of a sudden just over night become an elite rb? Slot receiver? Personally I don't care if Jalen ever becomes an elite level NFL passer. You know what I care about? If he can become a "good" college level qb.
What I care about is what is best for the team's success, and I think that is Tagovailoa at qb, with Hurts as backup qb. He could be the backup and play another position that gives him a better chance at the nfl.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
It's unlikely that a starter will be officially announced until the beginning of the '18 season, maybe a game or two in.
If that's the case then I think it's unlikely Tagovailoa will still be around. He has clearly shown he is a better qb and it's also unlikely he's going to sit on the bench another year.

I also think it's a moot point and that the qbs will know coming out of spring practice as to where they stand (and that Tagovailoa will be the projected starter). The fans may not know it, but the qbs will.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
If that's the case then I think it's unlikely Tagovailoa will still be around. He has clearly shown he is a better qb and it's also unlikely he's going to sit on the bench another year.

I also think it's a moot point and that the qbs will know coming out of spring practice as to where they stand (and that Tagovailoa will be the projected starter). The fans may not know it, but the qbs will.
I think that's pretty much what BamainBham is stating, there may be a projected starter in mind, Saban probably knows, the team probably will know and that particular qb will probably know but more than likely Saban will not officially name the starter until closer to the start of the season.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I don't agree with Tua leaving at all. Saban is going to make this a competition into the fall camp basically to keep all three scholarship QB's on the roster. I agree with your 2nd paragraph but it goes against that Tua will transfer if no starter is named after spring.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.