Question: Move Jalen to Slot Receiver?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If that's the case then I think it's unlikely Tagovailoa will still be around. He has clearly shown he is a better qb and it's also unlikely he's going to sit on the bench another year.

I also think it's a moot point and that the qbs will know coming out of spring practice as to where they stand (and that Tagovailoa will be the projected starter). The fans may not know it, but the qbs will.
This is internally contradictive. You say that Tua will leave unless publicly named as QB and then you say they will all know anyway. Which is it? Saban will not publicly name a starter. He never has and I wouldn't expect he would now. OTOH, as you say, they will know. I'm not sure why Tua quitting in a pout was even brought up...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I believe there will be ways to incorporate Jalen into the offense even if he isn't named the starter. He's a dynamic athlete.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
This is internally contradictive. You say that Tua will leave unless publicly named as QB and then you say they will all know anyway.
No. I said the fans may not know it, but that the qbs will. I think that the projected starter for the fall will get more snaps with the first team by the end of the spring practice, as is commonly the case. If that is not the case, and it's pretty much split, then I think the 2 qbs will have a good sit down with Coach Saban as to where they stand. I have no reason to think that Coach Saban wouldn't be forthright about it. If Jalen is the projected starter for the fall, I think Tagovailoa would transfer, and I really couldn't blame him. It' s very unlikely he's going to sit until Jalen graduates in 2 more years, and it's a real good bet that Jalen isn't going to be drafted to the NFL after his junior year. It really wouldn't be much of a thing except for the fact that Tua has proven to be a better qb, and the offensive coordinator wanted to play him earlier, but was over ruled by Saban.

For the record, I think #13 will be the starter next fall, and that Jalen will be the backup, and learning a new position with the hope of a NFL career.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The guys I know with REC said CNS at the recruiting banquet Wednesday said something to the effect that “ we already ‘have a starting qb’ and he wished our backups would stop turning the ball over” when asked about transferring qbs after the spring. Idk how to read into that.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
The guys I know with REC said CNS at the recruiting banquet Wednesday said something to the effect that “ we already ‘have a starting qb’ and he wished our backups would stop turning the ball over” when asked about transferring qbs after the spring. Idk how to read into that.
I think what he said was that we have 2 qbs. One needs to work on passing and one needs to work on turnovers.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
It will be extremely interesting to see how the coaches plan to work all these talented pieces into the offense next year. The cup runneth over with talent at RB and now QB. The receivers and tight ends will be dynamic. Plus you have the offensive line that will be three deep with talented players at every position.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
No. I said the fans may not know it, but that the qbs will. I think that the projected starter for the fall will get more snaps with the first team by the end of the spring practice, as is commonly the case. If that is not the case, and it's pretty much split, then I think the 2 qbs will have a good sit down with Coach Saban as to where they stand. I have no reason to think that Coach Saban wouldn't be forthright about it. If Jalen is the projected starter for the fall, I think Tagovailoa would transfer, and I really couldn't blame him. It' s very unlikely he's going to sit until Jalen graduates in 2 more years, and it's a real good bet that Jalen isn't going to be drafted to the NFL after his junior year. It really wouldn't be much of a thing except for the fact that Tua has proven to be a better qb, and the offensive coordinator wanted to play him earlier, but was over ruled by Saban.

For the record, I think #13 will be the starter next fall, and that Jalen will be the backup, and learning a new position with the hope of a NFL career.
I kinda tend to lean this way as well.............. I think Tua is the best QB, considering his performance under pressure. Of course, I could be wrong ( I hope I aint) and Jalen get the nod.......in which case, Tua could decide to transfer. But I don't think he will and I think he will be the QB

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
What I care about is what is best for the team's success, and I think that is Tagovailoa at qb, with Hurts as backup qb. He could be the backup and play another position that gives him a better chance at the nfl.
This was what I was thinking when I started the thread. It seems unlikely Jalen can ever develop the passing skills to win the qb job at Bama; so, it is even more unlikely he can ever be an NFL caliber qb. After 2 years, I suspect Jalen realizes he has been given a fair opportunity at Bama to prove otherwise. Unless he doubts this (which seems unlikely with his Dad being a couch), he may welcome the opportunity to shift positions to enhance his attractiveness in the NFL. I also think he would be willing to stick around as the backup qb, if he had certain situational roles to play in every game (both as backup qb and slot receiver), while he gradually transitioned to his new position. I think CNS could also arrange some consultancy from respectable outside NFL scouts to support this notion. This might keep Jalen on the team and happy working toward a potential career in the NFL. At the same time we have an established backup qb for next season.

If Jalen fails to win the starting role and is sitting on the bench 2 games into next season, strictly as a backup qb, I don't see him sticking around, unless he has no NFL asperations. Personally, I think keeping Jalen strictly as a backup qb in this situation would do a disservice to both Jalen and Bama.

I realize all this will play out in the spring and fall camps. While I want the best strategic advantage for Bama to repeat in 2018, I also hope we can keep both Jalen and Tua on the team and happy, with everyone's career aspirations realistically satisfied.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Jalen could be used like Trey Burton was at Florida a few years ago. He now plays for the Eagles and threw the trick play for a TD to Nick Foles in the Super Bowl. A wildcat QB/receiver.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
FWIW a few days ago GMac said he's convinced Tua will be the starter. If Jalen decides to start learning a new position such as the thread title indicates then word will get out quickly and we'll know about it before CNS makes an announcement.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
FWIW a few days ago GMac said he's convinced Tua will be the starter. If Jalen decides to start learning a new position such as the thread title indicates then word will get out quickly and we'll know about it before CNS makes an announcement.
Tua should be the starter. He makes the offense lethal beyond anything we've seen. If Jalen moves to another position and makes a contribution it will only make the offense better.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN
Jalen could be used like Trey Burton was at Florida a few years ago. He now plays for the Eagles and threw the trick play for a TD to Nick Foles in the Super Bowl. A wildcat QB/receiver.
Personally, I really think that whomever loses the job should be conserved and used as a normal back-up QB would. If we had more depth at QB, I would be all for experimenting with Jalen's role, but we can't afford to have either get hurt. If both get hurt, we're up the proverbial creek. If Tua is the starter like we all expect him to be, we gotta keep Jalen healthy.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Personally, I really think that whomever loses the job should be conserved and used as a normal back-up QB would. If we had more depth at QB, I would be all for experimenting with Jalen's role, but we can't afford to have either get hurt. If both get hurt, we're up the proverbial creek. If Tua is the starter like we all expect him to be, we gotta keep Jalen healthy.
We are currently pursuing an East Carolina grad transfer , he would add some depth and insurance

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Coach Saban values the QB not losing the game at least as much as he does a QB who can win the game. Tua won't be given the job simply because of 1 half of play. He'll have to take it from Jalen. For the record, I thought Jalen looked much better this year until the off week. Something happened to his play after that week. Tua is the best passer I've seen at Bama in years though.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Coach Saban values the QB not losing the game at least as much as he does a QB who can win the game. Tua won't be given the job simply because of 1 half of play. He'll have to take it from Jalen. For the record, I thought Jalen looked much better this year until the off week. Something happened to his play after that week. Tua is the best passer I've seen at Bama in years though.
Tua played well all year long when he got the chance. During the seaon, when he'd play well, some folks would say "yeah, but it's easy when the other team was already beaten. Let's see what he can do when the game is on the line".

The game was on the line in the championship game. The biggest stage in college football. In fact, it wasn't just on the line, it was well on the way to being lost. As we know, the offense produced 0 points in the first half. I think we had less than 100 yards of offense. Tua was a major reason we won that game, but as noted, he played well all year. He throws a td about every 15 pass attempts. Zero turnovers are great, but you have to score to win the game. It's obviously better to have 1 turnover and 3 tds than 0 turnovers and 0 points.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Tua played well all year long when he got the chance. During the seaon, when he'd play well, some folks would say "yeah, but it's easy when the other team was already beaten. Let's see what he can do when the game is on the line".

The game was on the line in the championship game. The biggest stage in college football. In fact, it wasn't just on the line, it was well on the way to being lost. As we know, the offense produced 0 points in the first half. I think we had less than 100 yards of offense. Tua was a major reason we won that game, but as noted, he played well all year. He throws a td about every 15 pass attempts. Zero turnovers are great, but you have to score to win the game. It's obviously better to have 1 turnover and 3 tds than 0 turnovers and 0 points.
Yes, he plays extremely well.... I would also tell you that if Tua were to throw zero TDs and have zero Turnovers -- and we win the game by 10, 3, or even 1 -- that's the desired result. Throwing a pick six at a bad time -- can get you beat. I also believe that momentum is extremely huge in College football -- and careless turnovers can get you beat, especially against teams that can make you pay for them. Had UGA not thrown the INT to Davis after Tua threw the bad INT the play before -- we probably lose the game.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Cardell Jones looked great for 3 games....

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I posted this on the recruiting board as well, but I think Coach Saban also strongly favors recruiting. And playing the style of offense we can get out of Jalen did have a negative impact on recruiting. If we want to continue to lose out on impact players at WR/RB/QB, then sure, let's go with the safe guy at QB who doesn't make mistakes but also doesn't allow many others on the team to shine.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Ok. Tua may have been lucky. He may be a total bust.

note: being facetious here, if that wasn't apparent

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.