Question: Move Jalen to Slot Receiver?

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Tua hosted Ross on his official visit to Tuscaloosa. I just think the struggles of our offense IRT missing on recruits was a little overstated. I think after the NC game all that was kind of a wash and it came down to what it always comes down to with WRs - playing time. Clemson is losing several WRs and most of ours are coming back. That's a more logical explanation of why we missed on WRs than our offense. Same thing with RBs. We had some highly recruited backs de-commit because D Harris is coming back along with everyone else except Bo. So it makes sense that we wouldn't sign the strongest RB class ever this year..
Possibly, but a lot of recruits signed during the early period. I find it hard to believe that many of the early signees didn't take a look at our offensive output and look elsewhere.

And as for the statement that our other stud WR's kept them away more than Jalen, I think most have too big of an ego to not believe they can come in and do better themselves. They all envision themselves as the next great thing, and no other player at their position will get in their way for long. But seeing nobody there that can let them shine will turn them another way. I know that is how I would think if I was a 4 or 5 star WR. Seeing what Jalen can do, I would look elsewhere. Seeing what Tua can do, sign me up.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I think we didn't sign as many WRs this year due to the three freshman more so than perceived flaws with the quarterback or offensive system.
We lost 3 WR's and we signed 3 WR's. We lost out on Ross which had something to do with on-field performance. WR is a position where 6-7 guys can play so I don't see the three freshmen as the reason.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
We lost 3 WR's and we signed 3 WR's. We lost out on Ross which had something to do with on-field performance. WR is a position where 6-7 guys can play so I don't see the three freshmen as the reason.
I think we all concede this was part of the equation but the point is that recruits (or whoever is steering them) should take into account more than just a few games or even 1 year. We now have a new OC and new QB and will be airing it out this year while he goes to play in a Clemson offense that will most likely be dink and dunk because of Bryant's inconsistencies or playing with a QB whose never taken a snap in college before. The times I watched Clemson this year was vs Auburn, Alabama, Syracuse and Miami. Their offense was abysmal in 3 of those games so I don't see how a recruit basing their decision off of last year has Clemson that far ahead of us. I think he saw quicker playing time at Clemson and it's been discussed Alabama may have slowed played him...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They have a great history with producing NFL WRs in the first round. We do too but they've got more turnover in his first two years than we will. He'd be competing with Waddle and others to break into the rotation with Ruggs, Juedy, and Smith. At Clemson he's really only got Renfrow (Sr) and McCloud (Sr) to compete with at WR. Almost all of their receptions were made by the trio of Cain (NFL), Renfrow, and McCloud. Clearly they want to keep Hunter Renfrow in the slot where he can mismatch hybrid players, so they have an opening on the outside vacated by Cain. Ross is basically competing with Tee Higgins - who was their fourth leading receiver as a freshman in 2017 - for that spot from day one in all likelihood.

Trust me, he went to Clemson because of the depth chart and their reputation at producing NFL WRs. Don't be so gloomy about our WR recruiting. We have a loaded WR depth chart.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Justyn Ross is not the best example for Alabama's offensive woes affecting recruiting.

Clemson was the early favorite for his signature. He quickly fell in love with the school, staff, and town.

So Clemson is +1.

Then, Alabama's passing game woes show themselves during the season. While Clemson had its fair share of issues, it still was a better passing team than Alabama (235 ypg to 193.4 ypg). Plus, the perception of the two offenses matters.

So Clemson is +2.

Tua shows out in the second half and gives WRs reason to look at Alabama. And before anyone doubts this, it happened. WRs not sold on Alabama reconsidered after seeing what Tua did.

Alabama makes it Clemson +1 again.

Ross visited Tuscaloosa and reportedly had a great time.

Alabama evens the race.

Ross went with his first love. Alabama was never able to overcome Clemsn's early impression.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
They have a great history with producing NFL WRs in the first round. We do too but they've got more turnover in his first two years than we will. He'd be competing with Waddle and others to break into the rotation with Ruggs, Juedy, and Smith. At Clemson he's really only got Renfrow (Sr) and McCloud (Sr) to compete with at WR. Almost all of their receptions were made by the trio of Cain (NFL), Renfrow, and McCloud. Clearly they want to keep Hunter Renfrow in the slot where he can mismatch hybrid players, so they have an opening on the outside vacated by Cain. Ross is basically competing with Tee Higgins - who was their fourth leading receiver as a freshman in 2017 - for that spot from day one in all likelihood.

Trust me, he went to Clemson because of the depth chart and their reputation at producing NFL WRs. Don't be so gloomy about our WR recruiting. We have a loaded WR depth chart.
He just better hope the hot shot freshman QB lives up to the hype or K Bryant increases exponentially in the passing game or he's going to be severely disappointed. One thing is certain now that we've seen Tua on the big stage. He can get the ball to anybody on the field and spreads the ball around. At the moment, there's a lot less assurances that there will be a quarterback at Clemson who can do that.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm pretty certain Clemson is about to have a 2018 much like our 2017 except they may have two quarterbacks who are superior to the incumbent. The difference is that I'm not sure Bryant won Clemson a single game last year whereas Hurts won 3 games for us with his ability to avoid mistakes and make explosive plays.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Tyrell Shavers is a guy that I'm intrigued by. I hope he can step up and make an impact because his size could be an asset. We have three very talented guys returning but Shavers' height and weight could be an asset. I'm interested to see how different he looks after being on campus for a year and going through the S&C program and training table.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

I assume it was a factor, but not the only one, and possibly not the primary one. Bama's offense was a publicly expressed concern by Ross. He plainly, reasonably and intelligently stated after the FSU game that it was a matter of interest to him. I do not blame him.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I think we didn't sign as many WRs this year due to the three freshman more so than perceived flaws with the quarterback or offensive system.
This and we didn't have a QB recruiter this year. Last year we had Tua in all those guys ears. Even though you have a great QB on campus the guys relate more to the QB's they see at the camps with them. Those leaders (QB's) don't have any limitations on contacts. You can't underestimate the impact Tua had on our class by being a leader at those camps. I don't think we get the WR haul we had and we certainly don't get Najee with out our Ace recruiter.

drjohn432

1st Team
Nov 28, 1999
mobile
If some very mild posts on Tide Fans causes a player to contemplate transferring, then he should do ahead and bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love Jalen, attitude, leadership Et. al He will compete this spring and may yet surprise. The new “quarterback whisperer “ may help. I also think he is made for slot, but you have to respect his dreams.
Does anyone know if he is on track to graduate after this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
If Bama missed at WR due to a run first mentality or lack of a passing game then how does LSU keep getting top tier talent at WR with their QB woes and offensive philosophy? My opinion is the misses we had in recruiting are from lack of relationships and complacency from the staff

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
If Bama missed at WR due to a run first mentality or lack of a passing game then how does LSU keep getting top tier talent at WR with their QB woes and offensive philosophy? My opinion is the misses we had in recruiting are from lack of relationships and complacency from the staff
Lsu in fact has recruiting issues and particularly they are thin on the line and wr. They have had several decent wr classes in the past few years but not considered elite. A lot of the wr talent that was signed since 2015 have seen attrition. This past class really had what's considered one wr that was in the top 50 nationally . I remembered reading an article about lsu's depth and experience at the line and wr so I went back and found it. I think alot of these guys were sold on an offensive philosophy that didn't transpire. I think we had good relationships with the wr group we went after. A couple of the wr we went after went down to the wire with one being a last minute change of heart.
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_79b3ff98-9ef8-11e7-971b-c796a169b97d.html

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I was thinking this as well. Its pretty clear that Saban doesn't like dual QB starters, but this is a unique situation. Main downside I see is that it means Tua would get fewer practice reps than if he were the clear no. 1 QB, and he is still green enough that he could use those reps. But man, could we open up the playbook and be hell for other teams to prepare for. Overall this makes more sense to me than Jalen moving to a position where we are already loaded, like RB or slot receiver. But it's a nice problem to have. #Bamaproblems.
I agree using both QB's would be toxic for opposing defenses to prepare for. I don't know if he has reached his potential as a passer yet and I wonder if taking care of the ball was a part of his passing fails. Now that we know Tua can move the ball it might be that Coach lets Jalen off the leash and play with daring do like Tua seems to. Just knowing we can move if we need to should take away some of the caution we have shown in the past with play calling.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree using both QB's would be toxic for opposing defenses to prepare for. I don't know if he has reached his potential as a passer yet and I wonder if taking care of the ball was a part of his passing fails. Now that we know Tua can move the ball it might be that Coach lets Jalen off the leash and play with daring do like Tua seems to. Just knowing we can move if we need to should take away some of the caution we have shown in the past with play calling.
I don't think I want Jalen playing with derring-do... :)

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
If I am CNS I get home after the celebration and think about the big loss that Tua took on first down and then hit what was a low percentage throw at any level of football. It is true if that throw was covered he may have gone to a second receiver but that isn't a known. What would have been the play choices of third and a mile and fourth down if second down was incomplete. Then CNS looks at the earlier missed play call that ended with an interception. So in the cold light of day CNS is going to see a lot more of these QB's and how they progress before he makes a decision.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Good defensive teams proved they knew how to limit Jalen. Until teams show they can stop a Tua led offense I just don't see the attraction of having Jalen coming in knowing he limits what we can do on offense.

If I am CNS I get home after the celebration and think about the big loss that Tua took on first down and then hit what was a low percentage throw at any level of football. It is true if that throw was covered he may have gone to a second receiver but that isn't a known. What would have been the play choices of third and a mile and fourth down if second down was incomplete. Then CNS looks at the earlier missed play call that ended with an interception. So in the cold light of day CNS is going to see a lot more of these QB's and how they progress before he makes a decision.
No doubt Tua made a couple of big mistakes, but consider the context that he was playing in the highest pressure sitiuation of the whole season you have to acknowledge what he was able to do too.

Will CNS make a calculated decision and consider all the potential and the pitfalls? Sure, but it seems to me that some are straining at gnats to swallow a camel to find problems in Tua's game when in one half of high stakes football he showed more longterm potential than Jalen's shown in two season against the better teams.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.