Question: Move Jalen to Slot Receiver?

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
After two years, it seems obvious that Jalen will never become an NFL caliber quarterback, despite that being his primary objective in coming to Alabama. I also doubt Jalen has the first step quickness out of the backfield to become a true running back. Just saw a pre-Super Bowl segment on ESPN about how the slot receiver is transforming pro football, especially by the New England Patriots. Among the qualifications for slot receiver they discussed were size (about 6-1, 200 lbs), quickness, ability to catch the ball in traffic, toughness to hold onto the ball after being hit, ability to run after the catch, and durability. It occurred to me that this would be the ideal for position for Jalen, who has nearly all these attributes. He is 6-2, 218 lbs, exceptionally strong (weightlifter), great moves in traffic, deceptively fast, and good hands. I believe this would set him up for a pro career in a couple of years. I think this could be done on a migration basis next year - remaining the backup quarterback next year, but given many reps in the slot, while he acclimates to the position. Then give him the opportunity to become the full time slot receiver as a senior. This also give us a year to groom another backup to Tua. Also, think of the pressure this would put on opposing defenses, not knowing what position Jalen might run in the game. If successful, pro opportunities abound. Your thoughts?

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
How hard is it for a kid who has played qb all his life all of a sudden just over night become an elite rb? Slot receiver? Personally I don't care if Jalen ever becomes an elite level NFL passer. You know what I care about? If he can become a "good" college level qb.

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
How hard is it for a kid who has played qb all his life all of a sudden just over night become an elite rb? Slot receiver? Personally I don't care if Jalen ever becomes an elite level NFL passer. You know what I care about? If he can become a "good" college level qb.
I'm concerned that if he continues to aspire to become an NFL qb, he will transfer. If he saw a path to become a valuable NFL player at Bama, he is more inclined to remain with the team. It seems to me that moving to slot would achieve both objectives: ours to keep him at Bama and his to become an NFL player.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He's staying at QB. We may have some package plays if Tua is the starter but I don't see him moving to receiver per se. We have three true freshmen who people around our program think all have first round talent. He's more likely to see the field as a backup quarterback in package plays than at wide receiver. Moving him to WR is the NFL's job, he's more than good enough to be starting college quarterback. I tend to think he grad transfers if he finishes under grad after 2018's season.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Guys, we don't have enough QB's now as it is. I hope he stays at QB and keeps working on his game.
Tell me about it...seems if I'm a 19 year old QB that has won as many games at the Capstone as Jalen has then just seeing posts like these from fans makes me want look elsewhere for my QB services. We need to appreciate the guy for who he is and stop the speculation.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Tell me about it...seems if I'm a 19 year old QB that has won as many games at the Capstone as Jalen has then just seeing posts like these from fans makes me want look elsewhere for my QB services. We need to appreciate the guy for who he is and stop the speculation.
If some very mild posts on Tide Fans causes a player to contemplate transferring, then he should do ahead and bounce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
All this guy does is win you 13 games a year! And he doesn’t turn the ball over. I’ll take that every year. Tua is otherworldly at spinning the ball. I mean he has talent like Johnny football, or better. But he hasn’t proven to make great decisions on a consistent basis, week after week, and take the physical abuse that comes with playing the position during the entire season. I love Tua and I’m grateful that we have him, but all he shown me so far is the ability to make plays when we have to take huge chances because we have no other choice. That is great,I will admit! I like having them both. Honestly think we will have to have both of them

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Were I coach (God help us all), I would sit down with Jalen and talk. I'd explain the rationale for a move and the rationale for staying at QB and how those intertwine with team and personal goals. I would offer my best advice for him and my best advice for the team and work out how to satisfy the needs of preferably both Jalen and the team in the best manner possible. Whatever the decision, there has to be "buy-in".

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I don't think Jalen feels like playing a different position. I think he either accepts the backup role at QB or he transfers. I hope I'm wrong but that's what I think.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I don't think Jalen feels like playing a different position. I think he either accepts the backup role at QB or he transfers. I hope I'm wrong but that's what I think.
I would agree with that. My opinion is that he probably has no interest in playing another position. It will more than likely be qb here or elsewhere. The Bama fan in me says stay here , the Jalen fan in me says if it does not work out in the end here, do what's in your best interest.RTR

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
If Jalen wants to play at the next level then he should probably look at another position. I don't doubt he would be a good slot receiver, but with his strength, speed, size, and athleticism I could see him giving safety a try. Good secondary players are at a premium in the NFL. Also, there is no reason why he couldn't have a dual role in his remaining time at Bama.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Were I coach (God help us all), I would sit down with Jalen and talk. I'd explain the rationale for a move and the rationale for staying at QB and how those intertwine with team and personal goals. I would offer my best advice for him and my best advice for the team and work out how to satisfy the needs of preferably both Jalen and the team in the best manner possible. Whatever the decision, there has to be "buy-in".
Most reasonable assumption and I believe this is the route that CNS takes.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I tend to agree with this. My only advice would be if he decides to transfer he should act decisively and not drag it out. It would best for him and his teammates to put this behind him.

78Alum

All-American
Aug 1, 2007
Alabaster, AL
He wouldn't be the first QB that switched positions and had success in the NFL. However, I we don't have the depth at QB right now to encourage a position change. I hope he stays right where he is and even if he is not the starter that we have some packages for him.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Judging from his attempt on making a catch in the A-Day game last year I doubt he'll make it far as a wide receiver.. everyone who plays college football isn't good enough to play in the NFL...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.