Question: Move Jalen to Slot Receiver?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Late last year there were plenty of rumblings about locker room dissension. This was before what happened in the NC game. I have no doubt, and I haven't heard one person say otherwise, that we don't win this game without making the change to Tua at halftime. Add to this that Jalen had epic struggles in other CFP games and big regular season games.

I just don't know how CNS could start Jalen over Tua at this point, without Tua having a major setback this spring/fall. The cats out of the bag for us, but the team saw what happened and responded positively to it. I just don't know how CNS, the team and fans could act like what happened didn't happen.

For the record, I fully expect CNS to publicize an open QB battle this spring and fall. He told Tony Barnet this in a recent interview. But, practically speaking, what those two QBs bring to the table will not dramatically change in 3-6 months IMO.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think he will often exceed the NC game.
I agree with your whole post, but wanted to comment on your first statement. I've been hesitant to say it, but I don't think Tua was as sharp in the NC game as he will be going forward. He uncharacteristically wasn't as accurate on some throws as he normally is. Plus he flat out missed what would have probably been a td play on a drag route to Henry Ruggs (IIRC). He had to have been nervous and felt super pressure to dig us out of that first half hole.

I can only imagine what Tua might look like after getting a majority of practice snaps if he's named the starter. Imagine our OCs game planning around Tua, our receivers and those running backs. I really think the best is yet to come, despite the amazing performance in the NC game!

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Late last year there were plenty of rumblings about locker room dissension. This was before what happened in the NC game. I have no doubt, and I haven't heard one person say otherwise, that we don't win this game without making the change to Tua at halftime. Add to this that Jalen had epic struggles in other CFP games and big regular season games.
I just don't know how CNS could start Jalen over Tua at this point, without Tua having a major setback this spring/fall. The cats out of the bag for us, but the team saw what happened and responded positively to it. I just don't know how CNS, the team and fans could act like what happened didn't happen.

For the record, I fully expect CNS to publicize an open QB battle this spring and fall. He told Tony Barnet this in a recent interview. But, practically speaking, what those two QBs bring to the table will not dramatically change in 3-6 months IMO.
According to generally knowledgeable sources, the dissension last year was a fact, including the locker room fiasco after the Auburn game. Even a casual observer could see that Ridley was frustrated most of the year. I think there is a real possibility of a seriously divided team if Tua isn't the starter.

Yes. I think Saban will certainly foster an open competition in the spring. The comments that it's not imperative they make a decision right now is a pretty good indication of that. I don't expect there to be an open competition in the fall, however, because as previously noted, if Tagovailoa isn't the projected starter coming out of the spring, I don't think he'll be here in the fall. He came to Alabama with the assurance that the best player would play, and that really wasn't the case, at least late in the season. Even the offensive coordinator wanted to play Tua but was over ruled. If Tua didn't know that before, he sure knows it now. Also as noted, I don't think he'll sit 3 years to play 1, and it's a real good bet that Jalen Hurts isn't going to be drafted to the NFL after his junior year. Mariota was Tua's hometown hero, and now Mariota's college coach is the new guy at UCLA. It would be a bummer watching the best quarterback prospect Alabama has signed since at least AJ McCarron, and perhaps long before that, play for another team, while we struggle on offense against good defenses.

I know that Saban's general rule is no depth chart, and the public may not know it after the spring, but if there is no clear #1 coming out of the spring (and there generally is, according to who practices more with the #1s) I am sure that Hurts and Tagovailoa will have a real good sit down with Coach Saban, and they will have a pretty good idea where they stand.

Last edited:

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
I agree with your whole post, but wanted to comment on your first statement. I've been hesitant to say it, but I don't think Tua was as sharp in the NC game as he will be going forward. He uncharacteristically wasn't as accurate on some throws as he normally is. Plus he flat out missed what would have probably been a td play on a drag route to Henry Ruggs (IIRC). He had to have been nervous and felt super pressure to dig us out of that first half hole.

I can only imagine what Tua might look like after getting a majority of practice snaps if he's named the starter. Imagine our OCs game planning around Tua, our receivers and those running backs. I really think the best is yet to come, despite the amazing performance in the NC game!
Agree completely! To do what he did in the nc game with what had to be an absolute overload of adrenaline...really shows his upside!

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
How hard is it for a kid who has played qb all his life all of a sudden just over night become an elite rb? Slot receiver? Personally I don't care if Jalen ever becomes an elite level NFL passer. You know what I care about? If he can become a "good" college level qb.
I think it would be easier for a QB like Jalen to make that transition, because he knows the playbook inside out, plus, his athleticism will allow him to play pretty much any position on the O side of the ball..With his size & speed I would love to see him get some snaps at RB..He could be an elite type RB & would be his best shot of making it to the NFL or I think so anyways..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think it would be easier for a QB like Jalen to make that transition, because he knows the playbook inside out, plus, his athleticism will allow him to play pretty much any position on the O side of the ball..With his size & speed I would love to see him get some snaps at RB..He could be an elite type RB & would be his best shot of making it to the NFL or I think so anyways..
It's hard to say. I wonder about his first step or two, but Derek Henry overcame that. No doubt, when JH gets going he GOING! I do think he's at his best in the open field scrambling, but coming from the tailback position will be different (see below).

Perhaps the bigger issue is our depth at running back. Who do you not want to see back there if JH is?

Also, I think it's a legitimate concern that Jalen struggles with seeing the play unfold in a timely manner at QB. Would his vision be any better from the tailback position (referenced above)? Add to that, we've got a Sr. running back coming back who excels in seeing holes developing and cutting back. Again, will Jalen be better than Harris, Jacobs or Harris in this regard? Just asking some questions. I confess I don't have all the answers.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's hard to say. I wonder about his first step or two, but Derek Henry overcame that. No doubt, when JH gets going he GOING! I do think he's at his best in the open field scrambling, but coming from the tailback position will be different (see below).

Perhaps the bigger issue is our depth at running back. Who do you not want to see back there if JH is?

Also, I think it's a legitimate concern that Jalen struggles with seeing the play unfold in a timely manner at QB. Would his vision be any better from the tailback position (referenced above)? Add to that, we've got a Sr. running back coming back who excels in seeing holes developing and cutting back. Again, will Jalen be better than Harris, Jacobs or Harris in this regard? Just asking some questions. I confess I don't have all the answers.
Exactly & I agree 100% especially the Derrick Henry comparison..And Jalen can cut on a dime & that ability I think is better suited to play RB..Like Henry when running the ball looks like he's not running fast, but, dadgum if those long strides doesn't steadily outrun anyone trying to tackle him..JMHO

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

There is almost no way Tua played his best in the NCG. I fully expect his best to be MUCH better than that. He played probably the best you could expect considering the context of the situation but he wasn't perfect. I think that is what is so exciting about him as a player. He didn't come in there and immediately play like Watson or Brady but considering the fact he was a true freshman who had never played a meaningful snap and was up against one of the best defenses in the country on the biggest stage imaginable with his team behind 13-0 and came in and won the game (arguably won the game twice but a missed FG forced him to come back an win it again). I have a feeling that his play in the NCG was much closer to his floor than his ceiling. And, if that's the case I would be terrified if I was any other program in the country.
It's hard to say. I wonder about his first step or two, but Derek Henry overcame that. No doubt, when JH gets going he GOING!

Perhaps the bigger issue is our depth at running back. Who do you not want to see back there is JH is?

Also, I think it's a legitimate concern that Jalen struggles with seeing the play unfold in a timely manner at QB. Would his vision be any better from the tailback position? Add to that, we've got a Sr. running back coming back who excels in seeing holes developing and cutting back. Again, will Jalen be better than Harris, Jacobs or Harris in this regard? Just asking some questions. I confess I don't have all the answers.
I can't speak to all of it but RB reads are very different and easier. Plus, he has shown some promise with his ability to make the right reads in the read option game and read holes in the running game on designed runs. I don't think that would be the biggest concern.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I think at any other college, he may could have that opportunity to at least try that position. At Bama though, I think the talent at rb and the recruiting at that level that we are continuing to do , it would be hard to overtake any guys already in that position.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think at any other college, he may could have that opportunity to at least try that position. At Bama though, I think the talent at rb and the recruiting at that level that we are continuing to do , it would be hard to overtake any guys already in that position.
I tend to agree. If his vision were to be to switch to running back he will probably need to transfer to a school were depth is an issue. Even then, he might need to spend a year as a redshirt and train at that position. If he redshirted, he'd still have 2 years to play 2.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm thinking if Jalen changes positions the best fit would be H-back. We can use him similar to how we used Chris Smelley and also add in some motion hand offs or throws out in the flat off of motion to set him up in the open field.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This may have already been discussed, but if you are going to let Jalen change positions put him where we need help the most, at Safety. He has the size and strength to lay the wood and has good speed, not the speed to play Corner or as many have said "the hips to play corner". He would more likely be an NFL prospect at Safety rather than as a receiver. Just a thought.

XXIII

Scout Team
Feb 3, 2011
Atlanta, GA
According to generally knowledgeable sources, the dissension last year was a fact, including the locker room fiasco after the Auburn game.
Does someone mind elaborating on this? Apologize if it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Wasn't able to find it.

**EDIT: Specifically asking about whatever happened in the locker room post-iron bowl. Not the general dissension that's been mentioned throughout.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I'm thinking if Jalen changes positions the best fit would be H-back. We can use him similar to how we used Chris Smelley and also add in some motion hand offs or throws out in the flat off of motion to set him up in the open field.
Agreed. You could probably have a some wildcat plays for him lined up as QB.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Originally posted by XXIII : Does someone mind elaborating on this? Apologize if it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Wasn't able to find it.

I can give you a link to an interview posted some time back. It's more about the championship game qb change and some frustration with the wide receiver group but they may relate to the iron bowl as well.
https://m.soundcloud.com/nashsportsradio/kevin-hagan-1-10-18

Last edited:

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
That's the first I heard that, thanks for sharing. I didn't realize how serious the feelings were among the receivers about the QB situation although I knew who they preferred. Herbie made it clear on the broadcast though when Tua came in the game he stated how "the players believe in him, especially Ridley believe he gives them a better chance to be more balanced."

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Who can say what Tua does in practice?
I believe Coach Saban places an very high premium on not putting the defense into a bad situation (and turnovers really do that). I was not there, but I would bet that Jalen hardly ever committed a turnover in practice and maybe Tua would sling the ball ball over the place, making some great throws and making some dumb freshmen throws, and Coach Saban said to himself, "The Tua's ceiling is higher, but I just can't trust this freshman when it really counts." The 2nd half against Georgia may put those fears to rest.
Other comments about Jalen being Bama's QB meaning that opposing defenses can put nine men in the box and dare Bama to try to beat them passing are probably spot on. If I was an opposing DC, Jalen throwing the ball would not scare me at all. (Jalen running the ball would concern me more; the kids is fast and tough and if Bama spreads a D out and creates creases for Jalen, he will hurt you).
So, Tua going 15-27 for 150 yards with 2 TDs and 3 picks would concern me if I was Coach Saban.
Tua going 23-27 for 250 yards for 4 TDs and no picks would make me feel pretty darn good about next fall.
I like Jalen Hurts. That kid is as "cool as the other side of the pillow," but I am still not convinced that his future is playing QB. Tim Tebow (who I still think is a good person, a good athlete and an asset to a team because he causes others to play better) rode his "I'm only going to play QB" attitude into being a commentator of the sidelines of SEC football games. If he had accepted the verdict of NFL scouts, he'd probably still be in the league, only playing tight end or running back.
An object lesson for Jalen.
I agree with every point you make, except Tua's practice results are pretty well documented by several other posts made after yours.

Crimson White

1st Team
Jun 17, 2014
Originally posted by XXIII : Does someone mind elaborating on this? Apologize if it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Wasn't able to find it.

I can give you a link to an interview posted some time back. It's more about the championship game qb change and some frustration with the wide receiver group but they may relate to the iron bowl as well.
https://m.soundcloud.com/nashsportsradio/kevin-hagan-1-10-18
Thanks for the link. I'd not heard that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.