Politico: Massive Pentagon agency lost track of hundreds of millions of dollars

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
What do you define as welfare spending? This site has some interesting information: Federal Safety Net
My definition of welfare is tax dollars (not including SS or medicare) used to fund the lives of others. It's a small percentage of discretionary spending (somewhere around 10% of discretionary funs in 2017, iirc).

A VAST majority of the annual budget is blown on military spending (over half of discretionary funds) and things such as 'education' (which the federal government shouldn't even be dealing with in the first place).

Again, there is so much waste it's incredible - they could balance the budget by simply tightening their collective belts (including absorbing the new tax cuts). It's offensive that people who pay over 1/3 of their income in taxes are constantly being asked to give more when there is so much waste.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I'm having a dispute with the technical team in my program currently. To recap, one of the tasks I (my team) manage are the 60 or so hardware and software contracts for the program. I received a requirement to renew maintenance for certain hardware. Cost is about $900k. It's not my job, but I did some quick checking and found out that much of equipment is end of life, while the rest are the replacement devices that were bought a year ago. So, I wondered, why are we buying maintenance for both? It turns out to do the check i did would take too long according to the technical POC. (It took me a few hours over two days to audit the requirement). The preference was to not to any real work and just keep buying maintenance. So what if it cost an extra $400,000? Now, can you guess who is getting grief from on high for causing a couple day delay in the purchase? (Hint, it's not the technical team who submitted a sloppy requirement. And it's certainly not offensive to the PTBs to waste massive amounts of money.)

$400,000. One action among 60 from one program among thousands. Care to guess how much waste that is writ large?

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I'm having a dispute with the technical team in my program currently. To recap, one of the tasks I (my team) manage are the 60 or so hardware and software contract for the program. I received a requirement to renew maintenance for certain hardware. Cost about $900k. It's not my job, but I did some quick checking and found out that much of equipment is end of life, while the rest are the replacement devices bought a year ago. So, I wondered, why are we buying maintenance for both? It turns out to do the check i did would take too long according to the technical POC. (It took me a few hours over two days to audit the requirement). The preference was to not to any real work and just keep buying maintenance. So what if it cost an extra $400,000? Now, can you guess who is getting grief from on high for causing a couple day delay in the purchase? (Hint, it's not the technical team who submitted a sloppy requirement. And it's certainly not offensive to the PTBs to waste massive amounts of money.)

$400,000. One action among 60 from one program among thousands. Care to guess how much waste that is writ large?
So you're THAT contracts guy.;)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
My definition of welfare is tax dollars (not including SS or medicare) used to fund the lives of others. It's a small percentage of discretionary spending (somewhere around 10% of discretionary funs in 2017, iirc).

A VAST majority of the annual budget is blown on military spending (over half of discretionary funds) and things such as 'education' (which the federal government shouldn't even be dealing with in the first place).

Again, there is so much waste it's incredible - they could balance the budget by simply tightening their collective belts (including absorbing the new tax cuts). It's offensive that people who pay over 1/3 of their income in taxes are constantly being asked to give more when there is so much waste.
When it comes to the subject of government spending and its oversight, all spending including mandatory should be taken into account.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'm having a dispute with the technical team in my program currently. To recap, one of the tasks I (my team) manage are the 60 or so hardware and software contracts for the program. I received a requirement to renew maintenance for certain hardware. Cost is about $900k. It's not my job, but I did some quick checking and found out that much of equipment is end of life, while the rest are the replacement devices that were bought a year ago. So, I wondered, why are we buying maintenance for both? It turns out to do the check i did would take too long according to the technical POC. (It took me a few hours over two days to audit the requirement). The preference was to not to any real work and just keep buying maintenance. So what if it cost an extra $400,000? Now, can you guess who is getting grief from on high for causing a couple day delay in the purchase? (Hint, it's not the technical team who submitted a sloppy requirement. And it's certainly not offensive to the PTBs to waste massive amounts of money.)

The problem is the lack of accountability and insulating it from political pressures.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
When it comes to the subject of government spending and its oversight, all spending including mandatory should be taken into account.
I agree completely.

Government waste should be a cardinal sin, yet it's seemingly excused as if it's just the way things have to be. Yet all the time people clamor for more funding, more money from the rich, from corporations, from anyone except them (of course), so the government can fix whatever problem they feel needs fixing.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I agree completely.

Government waste should be a cardinal sin, yet it's seemingly excused as if it's just the way things have to be. Yet all the time people clamor for more funding, more money from the rich, from corporations, from anyone except them (of course), so the government can fix whatever problem they feel needs fixing.
What if they gave bonuses based on how much a department head saved the taxpayers instead of them clamoring to spend everything so they could ask for a larger budget. Then, take the savings and 1) pay down the deficit/debt, or 2) shift it to departments/other branches where extraordinary cost may have been incurred above and beyond their allocated budget.

You know, like a corporation. Sad to say, but actually holding department heads accountable for their budget and spending would be too much to ask I'm sure.

BamaInCummingGA#1

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2017
Cumming,GA
If the our social welfare systems had the lack of oversight and teeth in enforcement that the DoD receives, welfare would actually be as bad as reactionary conservatives think it is.
Make no mistake. It's just as bad. We just ain't allowed to talk about certain gvt programs for fear of being called racist.
Bottom line is that anything involving gvt control and or spending is always shady and grossly inefficient.

Last edited:

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
All of this missing government money. I'm just going to leave this right here. #B613 #scandal

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.