2018 NFL Draft Process Thread

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I have been hearing some rumors that the Falcons want to trade up to get Payne. The catch is they don't want to give up a lot to do so.
It'll depend on how everything plays out I'm sure. Payne could go as high as 13 to the Redskins which is probably too high for the Falcons to trade up for him but if he starts to fall to the late teens early 20s it's probably possible.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Suprisingly enough I've seen a few mocks that don't have Ridley in the first round. Figured he'd be a lock. I think at this point Minkah is the only who will definitely go first round. Potential that Payne, Evans, Harrison and Ridley could go first round also but they've all been slipping some as of late..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think NOLA will draft Ridley if available at their first pick. He really fits what they do on offense and they're kinda iffy at WR after some retirements and trades.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Suprisingly enough I've seen a few mocks that don't have Ridley in the first round. Figured he'd be a lock. I think at this point Minkah is the only who will definitely go first round. Potential that Payne, Evans, Harrison and Ridley could go first round also but they've all been slipping some as of late..
Apparently people are worried about Ridley's frame. But I'd be shocked if he doesn't go round 1. I think his production is likely holding him back some too
I doubt Payne goes that high for some reason...our DLs tend to slip a bit.
That was my feeling too until recently. According to the beat guys(so accuracy is spotty) the Redskins board looks something kind of like this (among players that could possibly be there so not including the 4 QBs, Barkley, Chubb or Nelson.)

1. Minkah
2. Roquan Smith
3. Derwin James
4. Denzel Ward(this is the one that I'm least sure where they have him ranked)
5. Edmunds
6. Payne
7. Vita Vea

I think their preference if James/Minkah/Smith/Ward are gone is to trade back but if they sit there I think there is a real shot they take Payne. It really just depends on who falls and if they get a good offer to trade back. Apparently the Redskins see Payne as a 3 down player (unlike Vea) and Allen/Anderson have been campaigning for him. DJ Swearinger also campaigned a little on Twitter for Payne.

But if we don't take him I have no idea where he falls to.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Ridley is a lot like Bradin Cooks who is probably a top 15-ish WR but not necessarily a franchise guy. Totally a late 1st round pick...would draft Ridley high in that round though.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Ridley is a lot like Bradin Cooks who is probably a top 15-ish WR but not necessarily a franchise guy. Totally a late 1st round pick...would draft Ridley high in that round though.
The difference between the two, IMO, is that Ridley has the ability to be a franchise guy. He has great route running, good speed / acceleration, can play any WR position etc. To me, Cooks is a guy who wins with straight athleticism. He's a speed / quickness guy who's really to small to be as versatile as Ridley. Cooks is like 5"10 190 lbs and Ridley is 6"1 190 and can easily get to 200+ by adding good muscle weight. I'm not saying Ridley is a sure fire franchise WR but he at least has the potential to be whereas I don't think Cooks ever had that potential..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't want a new thread to ask just this question so I figured I'd put it here.

Does anyone know if Saban/Pruitt consult with Minkah Fitzpatrick to help develop game plans to an unusual degree?

The reason why I'm asking this is because as the draft heats up lots of Redskins fans who want Minkah have claimed this. I can't seem to find an article or anything that mentions it though. It would make some sense based on what has been written about Minkah.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The traditional idea of what a #1 WR should be is changing. Heck, advanced stats are starting to show how throwing to slot guys is better in some metrics. I think the YPA or something is higher for throws to slot WRs than outside WRs.

IMO its more important that you have WRs that can do specific things well than it is to have a Julio Jones. Mostly because it easier and Julio Jones is rare.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean look at how quick New England shipped off Cooks, who is top 15-ish as I said, because his skill set is easier to replace. You can't be a franchise WR without having that rare stuff.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
It'll depend on how everything plays out I'm sure. Payne could go as high as 13 to the Redskins which is probably too high for the Falcons to trade up for him but if he starts to fall to the late teens early 20s it's probably possible.
From what I have heard the Falcons only want to give up trading picks and a third round pick next year for trading up. The Skins won't take that, but someone in the 20's might. The Falcons are hoping he is still around when they pick. Plan B is to trade up and plan C is go with another DL. My guess is they will go with plan C.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Oh and as a side note, Julio abruptly deleted all Falcons stuff from his Instagram account and it has gotten all of Atlanta all worked up. People are trying to figure out what it means, if anything.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.