2018 NFL Draft Process Thread

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Vita Vea is basically like Terrence Cody from what I've seen...Payne is probably the only 3-down interior DL in this draft.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't feel like any WR who lacks the Julio/Green/etc frame can truly be a franchise WR...
I get what you're saying but Calvin isn't that small. Once he adds some weight he'll be 6'1 205 lbs which is good size for a NFL WR. Of course you'd rather have a WR in the mold of Julio, Green, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss etc. but those guys are hall of famers. A player can still be a franchise WR at Calvin's stature like OBJ, Marvin Harrison, Antonio Brown etc. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Ridley is a lock to be a franchise WR but he's one of the few in this class that have the potential. I think he'll be more like Amari Cooper who's a fringe franchise WR. A guy who is really good but not terribly consistent. You're right though, there is no prototypical 6'4 225 lb WR who runs a 4.4 in this class..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I don't feel like any WR who lacks the Julio/Green/etc frame can truly be a franchise WR...
I don't necessarily disagree with that but I think the importance of a "franchise WR" is declining. The Patriots are actually a great example of that. Apart from Moss they haven't had that kind of WR.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don't necessarily disagree with that but I think the importance of a "franchise WR" is declining. The Patriots are actually a great example of that. Apart from Moss they haven't had that kind of WR.
I think it's an outlier to use the Patriots in this example. With Brady and the way that run their organization they're able to pull off moves personnel wise that most other teams aren't. Conversely, if the Falcons didn't have Julio 2years ago I don't think they make the super bowl in which they should've won. Take AB off the Steelers and I'm not sure they make the playoffs every year either..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I think it's an outlier to use the Patriots in this example. With Brady and the way that run their organization they're able to pull off moves personnel wise that most other teams aren't. Conversely, if the Falcons didn't have Julio 2years ago I don't think they make the super bowl in which they should've won. Take AB off the Steelers and I'm not sure they make the playoffs every year either..
They aren't really though. Seahawks, Ravens, Eagles(I don't consider Jeffrey a franchise WR), Giants, and Saints are just a few teams I can think of who won super bowls recently without franchise WRs. Heck the Steelers won their last super bowl before AB.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They aren't really though. Seahawks, Ravens, Eagles(I don't consider Jeffrey a franchise WR), Giants, and Saints are just a few teams I can think of who won super bowls recently without franchise WRs. Heck the Steelers won their last super bowl before AB.
Yea, I'm not saying it's a requirement but every team in the league would take Julio, Green, OBJ, AB etc. over Cooks. The problem is, like you said, they're so rare that most teams just put together a melting pot of WRs who specialize in different abilities since they don't have a true #1. Back to the original point, every team in the league would rather have a true #1 WR and Ridley is one of the few WRs in this draft who has that potential. I mean John Ross went #9 overall last year and I've heard some say Ridley could drop out of the first round. That's just crazy to me..

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Yea, I'm not saying it's a requirement but every team in the league would take Julio, Green, OBJ, AB etc. over Cooks. The problem is, like you said, they're so rare that most teams just put together a melting pot of WRs who specialize in different abilities since they don't have a true #1. Back to the original point, every team in the league would rather have a true #1 WR and Ridley is one of the few WRs in this draft who has that potential. I mean John Ross went #9 overall last year and I've heard some say Ridley could drop out of the first round. That's just crazy to me..
Oh yea for sure. I just don't think it should be a priority.

I also don't disagree with Ridley's potential but its an odds game I think. He has a smallish frame, he looks explosive on tape but his 40 time was just good and his vertical was pretty bad, he has some struggles with contested catches, and he is 23 or something. He very well could(and i think will) overcome those but I see why teams aren't quite as high on him.

Idk why the Bengals drafted Ross that was just silly. Dude didn't even see the field this year or at least not much.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Oh yea for sure. I just don't think it should be a priority.

I also don't disagree with Ridley's potential but its an odds game I think. He has a smallish frame, he looks explosive on tape but his 40 time was just good and his vertical was pretty bad, he has some struggles with contested catches, and he is 23 or something. He very well could(and i think will) overcome those but I see why teams aren't quite as high on him.

Idk why the Bengals drafted Ross that was just silly. Dude didn't even see the field this year or at least not much.
No doubt about it. Ridley is not a sure fire #1 WR so if I were the Bills or the Jets, who are in complete rebuild mode, I wouldn't take Ridley. But, if I were the Saints, Ravens or Cowboys and felt I was only a few pieces away from making a run at the super bowl he'd be an intriguing choice..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Right, Ridley is the kind of WR you take when you need a big play pass catcher to be a contender. I'm not sure you can build an offense around him.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
No doubt about it. Ridley is not a sure fire #1 WR so if I were the Bills or the Jets, who are in complete rebuild mode, I wouldn't take Ridley. But, if I were the Saints, Ravens or Cowboys and felt I was only a few pieces away from making a run at the super bowl he'd be an intriguing choice..
Agreed. I actually think he'd be a good Cooks replacement in NE if he's still on the board for either of their picks(assuming they don't trade up for a QB like some have implied they might).

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Agreed. I actually think he'd be a good Cooks replacement in NE if he's still on the board for either of their picks(assuming they don't trade up for a QB like some have implied they might).
Heh, but they wish they would've kept Jimmy G at this point. What'd they get for him a second round pick?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Heh, but they wish they would've kept Jimmy G at this point. What'd they get for him a second round pick?
Yup and they likely could have gotten more if they traded him earlier. That was a pretty idiotic move. The whole story around that trade is pretty wild. Almost feel bad for Belichick.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I am in Dallas this week an Jerry is on the news talking about picking up a Dez replacement maybe in the 2nd or 3rd pick while the news station is running clips of Ridley in the background. Not sure if they expect him to be around that long or what the deal is with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
Here's a 7-round mock draft from CBS Sports. The best part, IMO, is that it's broken down my team. They have my Packers getting Denzel Ward at 14. I don't think there's any way he's there at 14, but if he is I'd be doing cartwheels. They get Sam Hubbard in round two, who I really don't know much about. And, Anthony Miller in round three, but I'd bet everything I own that he doesn't last that long. More cartwheels if he is, though. I think he's going to be a stud.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...es-and-draft-class-analysis-for-all-32-teams/

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'll stick my neck out for Mayfield: I think he has Drew Brees type potential in the right offense. He's got great pocket awareness that is assisted by his decent athletic ability. He's accurate short to mid range but has enough arm to push it down field with the same sort of accuracy. I wanted him to fall to the Saints to be the Aaron Rodgers to Brees' Favre.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I'll stick my neck out for Mayfield: I think he has Drew Brees type potential in the right offense. He's got great pocket awareness that is assisted by his decent athletic ability. He's accurate short to mid range but has enough arm to push it down field with the same sort of accuracy. I wanted him to fall to the Saints to be the Aaron Rodgers to Brees' Favre.
He has made some bone-headed mistakes, but I think you are spot on with this.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Here's a 7-round mock draft from CBS Sports. The best part, IMO, is that it's broken down my team. They have my Packers getting Denzel Ward at 14. I don't think there's any way he's there at 14, but if he is I'd be doing cartwheels. They get Sam Hubbard in round two, who I really don't know much about. And, Anthony Miller in round three, but I'd bet everything I own that he doesn't last that long. More cartwheels if he is, though. I think he's going to be a stud.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...es-and-draft-class-analysis-for-all-32-teams/
CBS is really pushing the whole Ridley to Atlanta (not that I mind). It just seems to be a wasted first pick when the Falcons really need DT help. Unless Julio deleting his Falcons pics from Instagram and shutting down all social media actually means something (I doubt it).

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.