Link: Ohio St. AD Calls Saban And Jimbo Salaries "Ridiculous"

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think it was more a comment on coaching salaries in general than an attack on Saban and Fisher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Re: Ohio St. AD Calls Saban And Jimbo Salaries " Ridiculous"

Anyone who thinks Saban is overpaid doesn't understand basic business.

UA AD revenue:
2006: $67.7 million against $60.6 in spending
2016: $153 million in revenue against $120 million in expenses (which includes $9.1 million to the general scholarship fund for the university)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ick-sabans-worth-every-penny-if-not-underpaid
..Exactly..People can moan n groan all they want, but, from the return the University receives from football generated money & the 5 NC's sitting in The Bryant Museum..I calculate the money we've paid Coach Saban is the best investment in college football history..

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Edited - I just personally think that it is absurd that entertainment pays more than critical industries like engineering or education, but I am cool if you feel otherwise.
So you are saying Sheldon Cooper should make more than Jim Parsons ;)

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

It seems to me that he's trying to get in Urban Meyer's head. I don't know who OSU thinks can do a better job for less but sometimes AD's can let their bean counter side take over.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Oh, I get that. Sad that markets reward the wrong things. But that's life.

As for Meyer - this may be a message. If he wants more money, he may have to leave. Not many OSU fans will get upset with that. He has produced wins for us, but we are Ohio State. We don't need Meyer to remain Ohio State.
Be careful what you wish for. If your fan base has the misfortune of stumbling though a decade like 1997-2006 was for us, you can be reminded that just because "We are Alabama" or "We are Ohio St" doesn't mean anything without a good coach.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think it was more a comment on coaching salaries in general than an attack on Saban and Fisher.
Well, I think he's calling them ridiculous as comparisons wrt negotiating a new contract with UM. Virtually everyone agrees that A&M went 'full A&M', and Saban shouldn't be considered not because of the amount, but because of the circumstances surrounding him - as B1G said above, what CNS has accomplished is such an outlier that his pay shouldn't even be considered as a comparison.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

As for Meyer - this may be a message. If he wants more money, he may have to leave. Not many OSU fans will get upset with that. He has produced wins for us, but we are Ohio State. We don't need Meyer to remain Ohio State.
I didn't read his quotes that way - I think UM will get a pay raise. After dwelling on his quotes for a bit, I think he was specifically calling those salaries ridiculous as comparisons when discussing Meyer's new salary because of different reasons (I described above).

IOW, it's less of an attack as the headline makes it seem - it's actually a well thought out position wrt negotiating a new salary. He's essentially saying "we're not stupid enough to write a contract like A&M and UM has not accomplished enough to get paid like Saban, so let's not get silly here."

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Anyone who thinks Saban is overpaid doesn't understand basic business.

UA AD revenue:
2006: $67.7 million against $60.6 in spending
2016: $153 million in revenue against $120 million in expenses (which includes $9.1 million to the general scholarship fund for the university)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ick-sabans-worth-every-penny-if-not-underpaid
And you didn't count student enrollment and all the benefits that go along with that. If tOSU AD doesn't understand that (and I think he does), I don't know what to say.

Nick Saban at $8-10M a year is the biggest bargain the University ever struck. And even that doesn't count the financial benefit to the community.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

Architects should make more money than everyone. If it weren't for architects, nobody would have any buildings to do their jobs. This includes college football coaches, doctors, teachers, lawyers, athletes, etc.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Oh, I get that. Sad that markets reward the wrong things. But that's life.

Luke Fickell says hello. Bama can't talk either: Mike Shula would say hello, and Mi...:smile:. Bama had sanctions, but Ray Perkins, Bill Curry - OK, but not enough.

Does it matter that it's Bama or OSU, certainly; but the coach usually matters more.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Architects should make more money than everyone. If it weren't for architects, nobody would have any buildings to do their jobs. This includes college football coaches, doctors, teachers, lawyers, athletes, etc.
But you are nothing without pencils and paper ;)....so paper mill workers and pencil factories should be paid more than you :)

Mob-Bama

2nd Team
Dec 14, 2001
Mobile, AL USA

Was this supposed to be in blue? :biggrin:

MobileCrimson

1st Team
Feb 27, 2014
Re: Ohio St. AD Calls Saban And Jimbo Salaries "Ridiculous"

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...-and-Nick-Saban-salaries-ridiculous-114735299

someone needs to worried about their own school . don't concerned yourself on what other universities are doing. :rolleye2:
He's an idiot. I could do a cost analysis of coach Saban to prove he is worth north of 20 million a year to UA.

(I would put his true value at around 35 million a year using all factors)
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

But you are nothing without pencils and paper ;)....so paper mill workers and pencil factories should be paid more than you :)
Come on, guys, without farmers everyone would starve. Yet, our society shows again and again that we value entertainment over true value to society. Yeah society! The Kardashians rule!
Edit- Yes, that is sarcasm even without the blue font.

barrytide

BamaNation Citizen
May 3, 2011
Havana,IL

For some reason when I read this I thought about Brian Kelly. He could be a dead man walking.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Be careful what you wish for. If your fan base has the misfortune of stumbling though a decade like 1997-2006 was for us, you can be reminded that just because "We are Alabama" or "We are Ohio St" doesn't mean anything without a good coach.
Sorry, this isn't true for most OSU alumni. We want our football team to be great, but we demand that our university remain great - the two are not tied together in any way. The school is far more important than the sport. I would rather our football program be shut down entirely than have OSU stained as a university the way that PSU, UNC and Baylor have been.

Last edited:

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org

Over paid coaches would be the HC at Kansas, Oregon St, and Illinois. Oh, and the new HC at Arizona St, which has the #76 recruiting class in the nation at the moment.
Come on now, give old Herm a chance before disparaging him! Arizona St. has been sort of a wasteland of the Pac 12 for years, if in 3yrs. he hasn't done something with them then anyone has the right to question his value to the Univ. Also he's back home 'So To Speak', his roots are in the very fertile football state of Calif. Personally I hope he does great at ASU...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.