Link: Ohio St. AD Calls Saban And Jimbo Salaries "Ridiculous"

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: Ohio St. AD Calls Saban And Jimbo Salaries " Ridiculous"

Here's where I stand on this - the salaries aren't ridiculous but the buyouts are. When you have a coach like Bret Bielema being paid $11M to not coach, that's absurd. Charlie Weis was paid something like $30 million US Dollars to not coach football. Coaches should not be owed anything when they're fired. These guys make enough in 1 year to be set for life. I guess I don't begrudge the coaches because they are doing what's in their best interest but it's beyond me how all of the universities have not pushed back against buyouts yet..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Here's where I stand on this - the salaries aren't ridiculous but the buyouts are. When you have a coach like Bret Bielema being paid $11M to not coach, that's absurd. Charlie Weis was paid something like $30 million US Dollars to not coach football. Coaches should not be owed anything when they're fired. These guys make enough in 1 year to be set for life. I guess I don't begrudge the coaches because they are doing what's in their best interest but it's beyond me how all of the universities have not pushed back against buyouts yet..
What you're advocating is essentially a rolling one-year contract.

While it might look attractive in a vacuum, I don't think it would be conducive to either recruiting or hiring good assistants.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

What you're advocating is essentially a rolling one-year contract.

While it might look attractive in a vacuum, I don't think it would be conducive to either recruiting or hiring good assistants.
Do you think buyouts are keeping universities from firing coaches? No, not at all. I'm fine with guaranteeing assistant coach contracts but a head coach making $5M+ per year should not have his contract fully guaranteed. I don't think any recruit pulls up a coaches contract to see how many years the coach is on contract for. All the recruits know the deal - if the coach doesn't win he'll be fired..

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Yes.... Head Football and Head Basketball coaches (and assistant football coaches) salaries are out of hand. They have gone up solely because of the giant influx in SEC Network type money. Power Five conferences are overflowing with money. I'm not sure what the answer is though.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017

I heard a story about this years ago about Bear, some professor mad about his salary, Someone said when the professor can get 75, 000 to attend his lecture he may make the same as Bear. Supply and demand. When you coaching, playing or acting in a movie draws in millions of dollars you are worth big money. When a engineer can generate millions for his company, he will make millions himself. I agree I see no player or actor being worth that money but they do draw in fans so it is what it is.

alfatide18

Feb 2, 2018
B'ham

His upset if Ferret Face (Frank Burns "MASH") was given quarter what Coach Saban makes Ferret Face will NEVER make as many NC's Coach Saban has won. Ridiculous is what these pro athletes make.

alfatide18

Feb 2, 2018
B'ham

Look how the barn messed up. What is the buses sign out to get rid of him.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

Just for reference. Here are average yearly income for different jobs.
College football head coach 1.64 mil
NFL head coach 7 mil
NBA player 5.15 mil
Baseball player 3.2 mil
NFL player 1.9 mil
NHL player 2.4 mil
Cancer research scientist 84k
Oncologist 320k
Microbiologist 72k
University President 428k
University professor 99k
NFL Cheerleaders 1250 Yr
You can see from this that something is terribly wrong. Cheerleaders should make a lot more money.;)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Just for reference. Here are average yearly income for different jobs.
College football head coach 1.64 mil
NFL head coach 7 mil
NBA player 5.15 mil
Baseball player 3.2 mil
NFL player 1.9 mil
NHL player 2.4 mil
Cancer research scientist 84k
Oncologist 320k
Microbiologist 72k
University President 428k
University professor 99k
NFL Cheerleaders 1250 Yr
You can see from this that something is terribly wrong. Cheerleaders should make a lot more money.;)
To get a better number for what's being referenced in the OP you'd have to only use college coach salaries from the power 5. I'm not sure what all the 1.64M includes but it probably includes FCS and the such. I'd assume if you just used power 5 that the average would be roughly twice what's listed so somewhere in the range of $3.28M for a power 5 head football coach..

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country

To get a better number for what's being referenced in the OP you'd have to only use college coach salaries from the power 5. I'm not sure what all the 1.64M includes but it probably includes FCS and the such. I'd assume if you just used power 5 that the average would be roughly twice what's listed so somewhere in the range of $3.28M for a power 5 head football coach..
You are correct.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Someone should ask OSU's AD this question. How much value does he put on five National Championship titles?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Agreed - I think that what Saban has done is pretty special given how much Alabama has improved in every way since he arrived. Alabama is simply a better university now than it was 11 years ago. Every student benefits. That is not the case with most coaches.
The OSU President is an idiot...:cool2:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

As has been pointed out way early, this has everything on earth to do with OSU's internal situation and very little to do with CNS and CJR...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

All the "Ridiculous" talk reminds me of that insurance commercial. AD's are saying it when giving new contracts and Saban is saying it with each new trophy.:smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.