Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Ohio St. AD Calls Saban And Jimbo Salaries " Ridiculous"

This sounds like a negotiating tactic

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

All of these salaries are absurd, but it is hypocritical of our AD to call out another school when we are doing the same thing.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I seem to remember Urban Meyer's salary not being that far off. Saban's 2017 salary was inflated by a one-time payment he qualified for and his yearly salary will be more in line with everyone else next year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

All of these salaries are absurd, but it is hypocritical of our AD to call out another school when we are doing the same thing.
Seriously.

Ohio State pays Urban how much? He gave Thad Matta a raise to $3.3 million (seventh highest CBB coach) before firing him last year.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Absurd based on what? Dwayne Johnson was paid $20M to make Jumanji -- which just grossed $842M worldwide....if he's not in it - that number is much lower.

People are paid what they are worth to an organization.....I'd say Coach Saban earns every single dollar he makes. Now -- as far as Jimbo's concerned? (to me) he's overpaid.... But, the salaries aren't absurd. Who they are giving them to, might be....

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I he doesn't pay Urban what the market says he's worth, someone else will and happily so.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA

Looks like the Ohio State AD just doesn't want to admit that his own guy (Meyer) is underpaid so he just claims everyone else is overpaid. If he wants to identify the most ridiculous salary in terms of accomplishments he should look at his rival in Ann Arbor. Harbaugh is paid more than Meyer and has zero national championships and zero B1G championships.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Harbaugh has never beaten Meyer either.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Absurd based on what?
Edited - I just personally think that it is absurd that entertainment pays more than critical industries like engineering or education, but I am cool if you feel otherwise.

Last edited:

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina

Edited - I just personally think that it is absurd that entertainment pays more than critical industries like engineering or education, but I am cool if you feel otherwise.
It is pure market force, supply and demand.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

It is pure market force, supply and demand.
Oh, I get that. Sad that markets reward the wrong things. But that's life.

As for Meyer - this may be a message. If he wants more money, he may have to leave. Not many OSU fans will get upset with that. He has produced wins for us, but we are Ohio State. We don't need Meyer to remain Ohio State.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Anyone who thinks Saban is overpaid doesn't understand basic business.

UA AD revenue:
2006: $67.7 million against $60.6 in spending
2016: $153 million in revenue against $120 million in expenses (which includes $9.1 million to the general scholarship fund for the university)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ick-sabans-worth-every-penny-if-not-underpaid

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Anyone who thinks Saban is overpaid doesn't understand basic business.
Agreed - I think that what Saban has done is pretty special given how much Alabama has improved in every way since he arrived. Alabama is simply a better university now than it was 11 years ago. Every student benefits. That is not the case with most coaches.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
If I am not mistaken Meyer's salary is not that far off. Jimbo yearly is high but I think it is the overall value of his contract that is astounding. Largest ever if I'm not mistaken.
He is completely out of line even bringing up what Alabama pays CNS. He has as many NC as ALL active coaches combined. That isn't even beginning to scratch the surface of what he has brought to Alabama. Quite honestly, by most big business standards you could argue he is underpaid.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Over paid coaches would be the HC at Kansas, Oregon St, and Illinois. Oh, and the new HC at Arizona St, which has the #76 recruiting class in the nation at the moment.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

Agreed - I think that what Saban has done is pretty special given how much Alabama has improved in every way since he arrived. Alabama is simply a better university now than it was 11 years ago. Every student benefits. That is not the case with most coaches.
The campus looks almost unrecognizable today compared to what it did when I graduated 10 years ago. And it has everything to do with the success of the football program. Anyone who thinks otherwise has their head in the sand. Football is the bread winner at programs like Alabama, Ohio State and USC. Just like basketball is the sugar daddy at schools like Kentucky and Duke.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.