Question: Ben Davis question re: playing time

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Re: Ben Davis

I mean I don't really see him as someone who can cause disruptions on the field... When comparing to former players, Ragland, McCain, Foster, Hamilton, Evans, etc... The mentality, toughness.. I don't see that in Davis yet. Notice I said yet... But you're right... Too soon to call him soft... I'll take it back...
I'm not positing this question in an aggressive fashion, but genuine curiosity, you sound like you've seen him in practice or scrimmage or scout team; have you seen him playing the past few years at practice? Everything most of us construe is just from what we read in between the lines.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I'm not positing this question in an aggressive fashion, but genuine curiosity, you sound like you've seen him in practice or scrimmage or scout team; have you seen him playing the past few years at practice? Everything most of us construe is just from what we read in between the lines.
My opinion based on his highlight films and in games he has played in last year.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

A little harsh and speculative.

Think we can just agree that some players need time to develop. Further, third year is about right for increased LB playing time at Bama.

Either way we will know something soon enough
that's true for the guys that played a lot on special teams their 1st and 2nd years, which Davis has not.

Seriously - Bo Grant, a senior walkon who'd never played before this season got to play against Ole Miss and mercer. Davis played less than that.

We had SEVEN LBs miss significant time, and all but two of the scholarship LBs were forced into playing bigger roles than planned. One was a True Freshmen (Benton), the other was Davis. Davis was passed by 2 TF and a former walkon at OLB. We moved one of those TF from ILB to OLB, ahead of Davis. Davis was passed by TF at ILB for sure and likely another as reports were that Benton was next up if we had to burn his redshirt, ahead of Davis.

Wilson was trying to play in the dime package with one leg against AU and was still ahead of Davis. Keith Holcombe was fighting through some real challenges and was a better option, then Moses was also.

It's got to be more than needing time to develop. Cowan and Allen needed more time to develop also, but had to be pressed into service even though they were not really ready. We wanted to redshirt them if possible.

Someone who needs more time to develop like Foster or SDH or Evans or Wilson or Moses still gets on the field as a special teams player. Even Holcombe was playing special teams after his redshirt year. Davis? NADA.

They tried him outside this year to see what he could do, and got nothing. This recruiting class is adding FOUR highly rated guys who'll likely be OLBs for us so the competition is going to be even more fierce.

Now maybe he'll be like Josh McMillon who also didn't do anything his redshirt freshman year, but Mcmillon also only played in mop up duty this year and a few rotations when depth was razor thin and got a total of five tackles (only 1 in a contested not-mop-up game)

Like I said earlier, whatever the issue is, I hope Davis can figure it out and turn the corner. We don't have a lot of depth at ILB so if he can step up at least to the two deep to give us some reps here and there that would be awesome.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

that's true for the guys that played a lot on special teams their 1st and 2nd years, which Davis has not.

Seriously - Bo Grant, a senior walkon who'd never played before this season got to play against Ole Miss and mercer. Davis played less than that.

We had SEVEN LBs miss significant time, and all but two of the scholarship LBs were forced into playing bigger roles than planned. One was a True Freshmen (Benton), the other was Davis. Davis was passed by 2 TF and a former walkon at OLB. We moved one of those TF from ILB to OLB, ahead of Davis. Davis was passed by TF at ILB for sure and likely another as reports were that Benton was next up if we had to burn his redshirt, ahead of Davis.

Wilson was trying to play in the dime package with one leg against AU and was still ahead of Davis. Keith Holcombe was fighting through some real challenges and was a better option, then Moses was also.

It's got to be more than needing time to develop. Cowan and Allen needed more time to develop also, but had to be pressed into service even though they were not really ready. We wanted to redshirt them if possible.

Someone who needs more time to develop like Foster or SDH or Evans or Wilson or Moses still gets on the field as a special teams player. Even Holcombe was playing special teams after his redshirt year. Davis? NADA.

They tried him outside this year to see what he could do, and got nothing. This recruiting class is adding FOUR highly rated guys who'll likely be OLBs for us so the competition is going to be even more fierce.

Now maybe he'll be like Josh McMillon who also didn't do anything his redshirt freshman year, but Mcmillon also only played in mop up duty this year and a few rotations when depth was razor thin and got a total of five tackles (only 1 in a contested not-mop-up game)

Like I said earlier, whatever the issue is, I hope Davis can figure it out and turn the corner. We don't have a lot of depth at ILB so if he can step up at least to the two deep to give us some reps here and there that would be awesome.
You nailed it. If all those guys got playing time over him, even when they were injured.. what does that suggest for Ben Davis' future?

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i've seen the same as far as why hes not playing. But then again, it was said even while in high school. So it's very possible for that to have some truth to it. This isnt the same situation as with Foster. Foster was a monster from the start on special teams. Davis isnt getting any run at all right now

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The odd thing is that he's still at Alabama. Usually when someone is in this position they leave, sometimes with encouragement. Last year clearly they just did not want to play him, period, end of story. Why is speculative, but I'd have to think this upcoming year is make or break. If he can't see the field again, then I can't imagine Alabama wants to keep him around.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The odd thing is that he's still at Alabama. Usually when someone is in this position they leave, sometimes with encouragement. Last year clearly they just did not want to play him, period, end of story. Why is speculative, but I'd have to think this upcoming year is make or break. If he can't see the field again, then I can't imagine Alabama wants to keep him around.
I think it's more likely that Davis wasn't the best option to help the team instead of the coaches not 'wanting' to play him. The coaches will put in the guy who they think gives the team the best chance to be successful. So far for whatever reason, Davis has not been that guy.

Bama9001

1st Team
Sep 26, 2017

If it weren't for the one play he had against Mercer I would wonder if this was an eligibility thing, or Bryant scholarship, or medical, or something like that. Per the participation chart on rolltide.com he did play one play though.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

If it weren't for the one play he had against Mercer I would wonder if this was an eligibility thing, or Bryant scholarship, or medical, or something like that. Per the participation chart on rolltide.com he did play one play though.
I still wonder if it's something lingering from his preseason 2016 injury. Before that, all the reports were that he was lined up to have a role as a TF.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Sometimes, ability is not paired with the desire to improve and play. Just throwing that out as a possibility. It's no disgrace and it wouldn't be unique. It seems to happen most frequently with those for whom everything has always come easy...

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

Just being honest as a former high school football coach....3A is not always the toughest competition. It came easy to him there.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013

I actually saw him on that play. I figured he had to play more for me to see him-didn't realize it was just the one.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I actually saw him on that play. I figured he had to play more for me to see him-didn't realize it was just the one.
I considered it an error. I can't imagine it was intentional, which wouldn't make any sense at all. He'd better hope the new RS rule comes in, if he has any desire left to play...

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I considered it an error. I can't imagine it was intentional, which wouldn't make any sense at all. He'd better hope the new RS rule comes in, if he has any desire left to play...
He already redshirted in 2016 though right? I think 2017 was a year off his eligibility regardless of playing or not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.