Feb 1, 2018
Re: Ben Davis

I have read on another site that he may move to DE and try that

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Just being honest as a former high school football coach....3A is not always the toughest competition. It came easy to him there.
This has been my reckon on Ben Davis. He had all the measurables and his taped backed it up. He may just not be ready for this level of competition and maybe he never will be. It is telling that he hasn't tucked tail and run. Indicates to me that he's doing everything he's suppose to do. People who aren't performing and missing practice & class usually get sent packing. Maybe his time will come like Tana Patrick.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I believe I read 250 but my memory is not good

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
he's listed as just under 240, but could have added weight for sure. He'd need to get up to around 280 to be an option at DE. Could be done although 40+lbs would be quite a lot.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think it's more likely that Davis wasn't the best option to help the team instead of the coaches not 'wanting' to play him. The coaches will put in the guy who they think gives the team the best chance to be successful. So far for whatever reason, Davis has not been that guy.
Even in blowouts and on special teams. That still says something.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I think Ben will be fine. A lot of folks thought there was a problem with 5* Reggie Ragland because it took him till his Jr year to start. Ben will be a Soph in 18, so I’ll wait till completes the year before saying anything else.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2017/08/ben_davis_really_focused_makin.html
Again though: Ragland was an ace on special teams his first two years. Davis? Nope, not a single rep on special teams. Ragland was playing in mop up his first two years. Davis? Nope.

The article posted was written before the 2017 season and how much progress he'd made, but then even with SEVEN LBs going down, and us having to play guys that were still very, very limited from injury, Davis never had his number called.

If it was just playbook, then why no special teams? That's why I think there's something else. Lingering impact of the ankle injury or possibly another injury that was also limiting him that we never heard about.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.