The streak

melvinm

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 12, 2013
We all knew the run of No. 1 classes would end eventually, but it seemed that we lost more players to other schools than anyone expected. With the seemingly large number of true freshman we played last year (especially in the Championship Game), did we recruit to fill specific needs?

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
You can say that, and people have, but we are very shy in the middle of the defense where we needed help. Honestly I just think it's a matter of coaches offering immediate playing time at other schools, things like that. Our coach is famous for 'just' offering guys a chance to compete for a job, which isn't going to work with some of these fellas, not when a Jimbo Fisher is telling you you'll be the focal point of the defense as a true freshman, things like that.

We will do better next year, and we have the talent on the roster to survive a slightly down year.

rtr

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I think this class could be the result of lackadaisical recruiting by the staff, which would explain the fire sell and infusion of young, talented up and comers to the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
We probably didnt get much from Daboll, and obviously Pruitt was a 2-edge sword this year. Also it is a smaller class than usual. I would expect a bumper year next year, and meanwhile our bumper year last year are sophomores this year. Overall, I fear God and dread naught.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
The guys we are getting aren't bad at all and that is an understatement. We still have great coaches and the best head coach. I am just loving the ones that wanted to be here and weren't scared off by having to compete for a job. We can't get them all every year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
That's the thing about recruiting. You get fixated on who is coming in instead of who you already have on campus. We have the most talented returning roster in the country, and IMO, it's not that close. Maybe Clemson is up there with us. Georgia, this year's recruiting darling (I hate Kirby Smart, btw), is losing more talent to graduation and the NFL than any of the rest of the contenders. Let's see now if Kirby can plug and play. Good for him if he can.

But no Alabama fan should be down about this class, no matter who we finish with.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
That's the thing about recruiting. You get fixated on who is coming in instead of who you already have on campus. We have the most talented returning roster in the country, and IMO, it's not that close. Maybe Clemson is up there with us. Georgia, this year's recruiting darling (I hate Kirby Smart, btw), is losing more talent to graduation and the NFL than any of the rest of the contenders. Let's see now if Kirby can plug and play. Good for him if he can.

But no Alabama fan should be down about this class, no matter who we finish with.
One season does not make an era.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I was hoping that we would obtain the services of a few more interior defensive linemen, but this is still a very solid group of young student-athletes. Roll Tide!

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
i worry about the Kids that commit to Bama more than i worry about the kids that do not. it's easy if you think about it. a 5* recruit gets 5* coaching at Bama. does it matter what 5* recruit commits to which ever school if he is going to get 2* coaching?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I was hoping that we would obtain the services of a few more interior defensive linemen, but this is still a very solid group of young student-athletes. Roll Tide!
This. I could not care less about our final national ranking as long as we meet needs. I think we did that at DB. D line (inside ) is where I don`t think we quite did what we wanted to, there and maybe another LB or two.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, the coaching staff turnover, especially, Pruitt put us in a real bind. While all the new hires appear to be great recruiters, they came in late to the party and could provide little help. Give these guys a year to get a lay of the land and build relationships and we will see a huge improvement. This assumes our staff is not raided again.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
These guys with 2-3 stars can be diamonds in the rough and often times play with a chip on their shoulder. We'll be fine. Plenty of teams over the years do very well with 2-3 star recruits. In fact, in plenty of cases a 3 star will outshine a 5 star and end up being the better player.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.