Compiled Recruiting Rankings for 2018

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
They will be patient, I just hope they will have to be. I mean they put up with Richt for 15 years. It is insufferable here in Georgia,After 20 years, I may have to move back home. I have commute times approaching 4 hours , so I listen to a lot of talk radio . Before this season it was pretty fair as Georgia knew their daddy, but with Kirby’s success on the field and the number 1 class it is different . The dawgs have lost their minds, as if they have reeled off 5 or 6 nattys in a row. I heard Chuck and Chernoff barbecue a Bama fan because he had the audacity to say it’s not how talented the class , but what you do with them. They proceeded to make fun of Bama fans and basically say Nick was a great coach only because of his recruiters, which are now all gone. Some shows were playing the wizard of Oz song, ding dong the witch is dead on NSD. I guess these people fail to realize that Georgiavalways had talent, evidenced by all the players in the NFL. Sorry for the mini rant, I hate bulldog fans. WORSE THAN THE BARN!
You know now that I think about it. I guess I understand why Georgia fans would be so bitter. Nick Saban is 6-2 all time against Georgia going back to his time at LSU. He has humiliated Georgia in their own State multiple times. He cost them the 2003 Sec title, the 2012 National Title and Sec title, and cost them the 2017 National Championship. All of those games taking place in the state of Georgia. :biggrin2:

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005
Well, if Kirby handles his staff and his players like the way handles recruiting, his teams may not reach potential. After all, he’s comfortable with who he is...

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Spurrier used to make fun of Georgia for always having great recruiting classes, but never winning championships.
This is the biggest myth in college football recruiting over the last 10 years. I've studied our classes in-depth for 20 years, so I know fantasy from reality. The true marker of recruiting success is on field performance and post season accolades. Georgia for all Spurrier's hype did not land as many players on the First Team All SEC post season squads as one would expect, particularly at key position areas like OL, DL and DB.

Richt was really good at landing flashy recruits at the skill positions, which made it seem like Georgia was recruiting at a high-level year-over-year. As Bama fans know all too well, flash only gets you so far and in the areas where you win Championships (in the trenches) UGA was weak and had little depth. This was something Kirby recognized immediately upon arriving in Athens. Sam Pittman is rectifying the OL issue, however it remains to be seen whether Tray Scott can recruit at the same level to improve our DL talent. He whiffed on Sandidge, so I'm reserving judgement.

Regarding UGA fan patience if Kirby doesn't turn this recruiting success into on field Championships. That's an interesting question. Let me turn it around. What top tier SEC fan base has patience? We all want to win Championships. I think Georgia fans realize they have a gem in Kirby, because he's cut directly from Saban's cloth and will give him a longer leash than one might expect.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
This is the biggest myth in college football recruiting over the last 10 years. I've studied our classes in-depth for 20 years, so I know fantasy from reality. The true marker of recruiting success is on field performance and post season accolades. Georgia for all Spurrier's hype did not land as many players on the First Team All SEC post season squads as one would expect, particularly at key position areas like OL, DL and DB.

Richt was really good at landing flashy recruits at the skill positions, which made it seem like Georgia was recruiting at a high-level year-over-year. As Bama fans know all too well, flash only gets you so far and in the areas where you win Championships (in the trenches) UGA was weak and had little depth. This was something Kirby recognized immediately upon arriving in Athens. Sam Pittman is rectifying the OL issue, however it remains to be seen whether Tray Scott can recruit at the same level to improve our DL talent. He whiffed on Sandidge, so I'm reserving judgement.

Regarding UGA fan patience if Kirby doesn't turn this recruiting success into on field Championships. That's an interesting question. Let me turn it around. What top tier SEC fan base has patience? We all want to win Championships. I think Georgia fans realize they have a gem in Kirby, because he's cut directly from Saban's cloth and will give him a longer leash than one might expect.
I think Kirby's leash was lengthened tremendously this year and I expect Kirby/UGA to be a SEC/NC contender for some time.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I think Kirby's leash was lengthened tremendously this year and I expect Kirby/UGA to be a SEC/NC contender for some time.
Of all the coaches in Saban's tree and there's a ton, Kirby is most like the trunk. I think that is a testament to Kirby realizing early on that Coach Saban had a winning methodology and if he studied it long enough he could strike out on his own and be successful. I'm sure Nick is very proud given their close relationship.

When Nick finally hangs up his hat, college football will be losing the greatest coach of all time history and one of the great personalities of the game. I have a ton of respect for CNS... a ton and I couldn't be more proud that our coach got his PHD from the college of Nick Saban.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Of all the coaches in Saban's tree and there's a ton, Kirby is most like the trunk. I think that is a testament to Kirby realizing early on that Coach Saban had a winning methodology and if he studied it long enough he could strike out on his own and be successful. I'm sure Nick is very proud given their close relationship.

When Nick finally hangs up his hat, college football will be losing the greatest coach of all time history and one of the great personalities of the game. I have a ton of respect for CNS... a ton and I couldn't be more proud that our coach got his PHD from the college of Nick Saban.
Personally, i don't think Saban and Kirby are really that close anymore

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yeah, they don’t have a close relationship anymore since Kirby left in the worst possible way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, they don’t have a close relationship anymore since Kirby left in the worst possible way.

Please explain what you mean by "left in the worst possible way." Kirby stayed through the national championship game the year he was hired and Bama won it all. Both men have publicly stated they're still friends and their wives remain very close.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Please explain what you mean by "left in the worst possible way." Kirby stayed through the national championship game the year he was hired and Bama won it all. Both men have publicly stated they're still friends and their wives remain very close.
Publicly, they are not going to say anything different , but there were recruiting "philosophy" issues i guess is the best way to put it and I think it's lit a fire under Saban. Plus , that interview between the two by espn when they were side by side before the title game? That was one of the most awkward and "I don't want to be here right now" scenes I've ever seen.

Last edited:

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
I don't put much stock in this article and think Glenn Schumann's take is probably pretty accurate. This article was written during the lead up to the national championship and designed with the intention of getting viewership clicks. I would agree the ESPN interview was awkward, but when was the last time Saban was comfortable sitting in a chair being asked questions by the press?

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I don't put much stock in this article and think Glenn Schumann's take is probably pretty accurate. This article was written during the lead up to the national championship and designed with the intention of getting viewership clicks. I would agree the ESPN interview was awkward, but when was the last time Saban was comfortable sitting in a chair being asked questions by the press?
I don't think there was any intention for click bait . Al.com doesn't need it . When Aaron Suttles attaches his name to anything as far as info in any shape or form, I take him at his word. It's not just this article that has made this info known, there are people within the athletic Dept. who hold this to be true. As far as the interview, Saban has never really been uncomfortable with the reporters, on the contrary he uses that opportunity to rather lecture them. Plus there's a distinct difference between Saban not caring to talk to reporters and not being comfortable around a guy he's suppose to be friends with and spent a good bit of his career with. The al.com article was just one of a few that reported this and ....I believe this info to be true.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
It's easy to understand why you wouldn't want to believe that Smart has acted the way he has, it doesn't exactly paint him in a positive light. Smart will have his recruiting run for a year or so - being the newest/hottest kid on the block - but if he continues on his current path, word will get around the coaching community and ultimately to recruits. Plenty of things went UGA's way this year to aid them in getting to the CFPNCG: way too much credit for beating a mediocre ND team, an even weaker than lately SEC east, an injured auburn team in the SECCG, and a brain cramp by the OU coaching staff in the semi-finals. I'm not saying they shouldn't have been there, just that their path wasn't the toughest. I'll be curious to see over the next 3-4 years which coach is the real Smart: the 8-5 version or the 13-2 edition.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Somehow I expected you to not believe that article.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Kirby taking a picture of the recreation board in the football office while leaving for Georgia and then using it to recruit negatively against Bama shows how low he’ll go. He would show that picture to recruits and tell them how Bama really didn’t think they were good enough and how Bama had lied to them, etc. He’s a slimy little worm with a bowl haircut, who will say or do anything to get the edge..... a very unethical man, period.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Saban wasn't the one that looked uncomfortable in that interview. Kirby wouldn't even make eye with Saban.
Saban has since seem to go out his way to praise Jeremy Pruitt for leaving the "right way".

I don't pretend to have inside info on any of this stuff, but there seems to be something there between them.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
"Worst way possible?!? What could you possibly mean?"

Challenged poster cites public information from credible source.

"OK, you cited a credible source, but I don't believe it...it's worthless. I'd much rather believe something that supports what I wish were true."

Really?

To answer your concluding question, Saban was last comfortable in front of the press the last time he was there. He plays them like Itzhak Perlman plays a Stradivarius.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.