Compiled Recruiting Rankings for 2018

pjhBama

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 3, 2017
As things stand at this moment (they will obviously change some over the next couple days):

ESPN - Overall 6th - Quality 5th
247 Sports - Overall 7th || Quality - 5th
Rivals - Overall 7th || Quality - 5th
Compiled - Overall 7th || Quality 5th

The numbers in this class hurt us the most from a ranking standpoint. Bama did miss on a few they were after. Expected signees were to be in the 22-23 range. However, due to the misses, looks like Bama will finish with 18, possibly 19. The class is full of quality, but we are used to signing 25-27 of this type of quality. The rankings put a lot of stock in quantity. So while the overall ranking may not look as good as normal due to low numbers, this is still a very good class from a quality standpoint. We are still in very good shape!

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I think rather than filling up the class with 2 & 3 * like some schools would do Saban would rather work on next year’s EE class that he can back count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Wonder how patient Georgia will be with Kirby. The narrative should be if he doesn't win a ring within three years with all the talent he has signed . . . time to try someone else. Maybe it will be Pruitt, who I can't help but believe will find success hard to achieve in Tennessee.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Wonder how patient Georgia will be with Kirby. The narrative should be if he doesn't win a ring within three years with all the talent he has signed . . . time to try someone else. Maybe it will be Pruitt, who I can't help but believe will find success hard to achieve in Tennessee.
If he doesn't win a title with consecutive top notch recruiting eventually he'll hear the whispers and future recruits will take notice.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Spurrier used to make fun of Georgia for always having great recruiting classes, but never winning championships. I don't really think this will apply to Kirby. Mainly because the SEC East seems so week ... and he DID win the SEC this year.
Now UGA getting over the hump to win the National Championship is a whole different thing.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I feel the same way about this ranking as I did the last 7 when Bama was first get back with me in three or four years as to where this class ranked.

ChattTide

All-SEC
Jul 20, 2000
Memphis, TN
Spurrier used to make fun of Georgia for always having great recruiting classes, but never winning championships. I don't really think this will apply to Kirby. Mainly because the SEC East seems so week ... and he DID win the SEC this year.
Now UGA getting over the hump to win the National Championship is a whole different thing.
The difference will have to be seen in the coming years if there is a difference. Consistency in winning championships. Can Smart do that?

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
The difference will have to be seen in the coming years if there is a difference. Consistency in winning championships. Can Smart do that?

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
CNS is the only reason consistently winning championships even crosses these other schools mind.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Roll Tide!!
ChattTide
I think that in the next couple years Kirby will be found out. I know that when Kirby left Bama he copied a list of all the recruits CNS was looking at and used that list this year to show recruits: look where Nick Saban has you ranked, way down the list, you will be at the least a Jr. before you see any meaningful playing time. The next couple of years will show the real Kirby Smart.

HITIDE

1st Team
Jul 6, 2003
TRINITY, AL., USA
I think that in the next couple years Kirby will be found out. I know that when Kirby left Bama he copied a list of all the recruits CNS was looking at and used that list this year to show recruits: look where Nick Saban has you ranked, way down the list, you will be at the least a Jr. before you see any meaningful playing time. The next couple of years will show the real Kirby Smart.
Taking pictures of the Bama recruiting board, to use against Bama, while still there showed the real Kirby Smart. The next couple years will tell if he can win and recruit consistently. A snake in the grass is usually eventually exposed.....but it did take several years with Phil Fulmer.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
They will be patient, I just hope they will have to be. I mean they put up with Richt for 15 years. It is insufferable here in Georgia,After 20 years, I may have to move back home. I have commute times approaching 4 hours , so I listen to a lot of talk radio . Before this season it was pretty fair as Georgia knew their daddy, but with Kirby’s success on the field and the number 1 class it is different . The dawgs have lost their minds, as if they have reeled off 5 or 6 nattys in a row. I heard Chuck and Chernoff barbecue a Bama fan because he had the audacity to say it’s not how talented the class , but what you do with them. They proceeded to make fun of Bama fans and basically say Nick was a great coach only because of his recruiters, which are now all gone. Some shows were playing the wizard of Oz song, ding dong the witch is dead on NSD. I guess these people fail to realize that Georgiavalways had talent, evidenced by all the players in the NFL. Sorry for the mini rant, I hate bulldog fans. WORSE THAN THE BARN!

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
They will be patient, I just hope they will have to be. I mean they put up with Richt for 15 years. It is insufferable here in Georgia,After 20 years, I may have to move back home. I have commute times approaching 4 hours , so I listen to a lot of talk radio . Before this season it was pretty fair as Georgia knew their daddy, but with Kirby’s success on the field and the number 1 class it is different . The dawgs have lost their minds, as if they have reeled off 5 or 6 nattys in a row. I heard Chuck and Chernoff barbecue a Bama fan because he had the audacity to say it’s not how talented the class , but what you do with them. They proceeded to make fun of Bama fans and basically say Nick was a great coach only because of his recruiters, which are now all gone. Some shows were playing the wizard of Oz song, ding dong the witch is dead on NSD. I guess these people fail to realize that Georgiavalways had talent, evidenced by all the players in the NFL. Sorry for the mini rant, I hate bulldog fans. WORSE THAN THE BARN!
I live in Georgia as well. They have no clue as to how to win with class,

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
Crimsonaudio was right about these guys. They really have zero concept of how things work. Some of their fans have even deluded themselves into thinking that all of Nick Saban's success had to do with Kirby Smart. At LSU/Alabama Nick saban has won a combined 3 sec titles and 2 national titles in years that smart wasn't even on the staff. But you can't tell Georgia fans that. Kirby Smart was and is apparently the only coach who ever recruited for Nick Saban. :rolleyes: Some of them even tried to give Kirby credit for BAMA's recruiting hall in 2017 when he AT GEORGIA. "Kirby was originally recruiting those guys" What makes me sick is that they have zero respect for the man that made their coach what he is.

Last edited:

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Crimsonaudio was right about these guys. They really have zero concept of how things work. Some of their fans have even deluded themselves into thinking that all of Nick Saban's success had to do with Kirby Smart. At LSU/Alabama Nick saban has won a combined 3 sec titles 2 national titles in years that smart wasn't even on the staff. But you can't tell Georgia fans that. Kirby Smart was and is apparently the only coach who ever recruited for Nick Saban. :rolleyes: Some of them even tried to give Kirby credit for BAMA's recruiting hall in 2017 when he AT GEORGIA. "Kirby was originally recruiting those guys" What makes me sick is that they have zero respect for the man that made their coach what he is.
I would even argue that any success of Kirby's can be attributed to Saban. When Georgia first hired Saban, all I heard was that he was going to be good because he's been with Saban for so long. Now? Saban has been successful because of Kirby...it's comical

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Crimsonaudio was right about these guys. They really have zero concept of how things work. Some of their fans have even deluded themselves into thinking that all of Nick Saban's success had to do with Kirby Smart. At LSU/Alabama Nick saban has won a combined 3 sec titles and 2 national titles in years that smart wasn't even on the staff. But you can't tell Georgia fans that. Kirby Smart was and is apparently the only coach who ever recruited for Nick Saban. :rolleyes: Some of them even tried to give Kirby credit for BAMA's recruiting hall in 2017 when he AT GEORGIA. "Kirby was originally recruiting those guys" What makes me sick is that they have zero respect for the man that made their coach what he is.
Tennessee fans are saying some of this same stuff about Pruitt now. They are even saying Pruitt is better at coaching defense than Coach Saban. Fans just want what Alabama has got. It is killing them and they are all just reaching at anything to give them hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
Capn, not trying to be over critical of your statement, but how do u know Curby copied Bama’s board? My life experiences are that while statements like that may be true, they more often are founded on malicious rumor or gossip . I have no particular love for Smart or any other opposing coach, but he seemed to be highly thought of before he left, including by CNS. That type assertion is a serious accusation. If you know of credible witnesses, I’m all ears. I apologize if this comes across as a personal slight. That’s not my intention. I’d just like to know how reliable that statement is.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Capn, not trying to be over critical of your statement, but how do u know Curby copied Bama’s board? My life experiences are that while statements like that may be true, they more often are founded on malicious rumor or gossip . I have no particular love for Smart or any other opposing coach, but he seemed to be highly thought of before he left, including by CNS. That type assertion is a serious accusation. If you know of credible witnesses, I’m all ears. I apologize if this comes across as a personal slight. That’s not my intention. I’d just like to know how reliable that statement is.
This has been reported by various Alabama beat writers and reported as well by people here who are extremely trustworthy and in the know . Various Alabama news media also covered this.Here's just one article
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...7/16860806/alabama-football-saban-kirby-smart

There is also a full write up by al.com.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...sf/2018/01/the_recruiting_story_that_exem.amp

Last edited:

BearFan

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 26, 2016
Tulsa, OK
This has been reported by various Alabama beat writers and reported as well by people here who are extremely trustworthy and in the know . Various Alabama news media also covered this.Here's just one article
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...7/16860806/alabama-football-saban-kirby-smart

There is also a full write up by al.com.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/articl...sf/2018/01/the_recruiting_story_that_exem.amp
WOW!! I appreciate the info, and I withdraw my prior comments and concerns.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.