Grad Transfer Recruiting 2018

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I realize that just about everyone on here has handed over the starting QB spot to Tua, but I am not so sure that is how it is going to play out. I also think it is naive to believe that neither Hurts or Tua will transfer depending on who wins the competition. Jones should be a capable spot player, but his lack of game experience could hurt us if he is the only scholarship backup. So I would not be surprised at all to see us pickup an experienced graduate QB. I am still not sold on CNS going with Tua over Hurts, we shall see.

Last edited:

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I realize that just about everyone on here has handled over the starting QB spot to Tua, but I am not so sure that is how it is going to play out. I also think it is naive to believe that neither Hurts or Tua will transfer depending on who wins the competition. Jones should be a capable spot player, but his lack of game experience could hurt us if he is the only scholarship backup. So I would not be surprised at all to see us pickup an experienced graduate QB. I am still not sold on CNS going with Tua over Hurts, we shall see.
Why do you think he would pick Jalen ?

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
I realize that just about everyone on here has handled over the starting QB spot to Tua, but I am not so sure that is how it is going to play out. I also think it is naive to believe that neither Hurts or Tua will transfer depending on who wins the competition. Jones should be a capable spot player, but his lack of game experience could hurt us if he is the only scholarship backup. So I would not be surprised at all to see us pickup an experienced graduate QB. I am still not sold on CNS going with Tua over Hurts, we shall see.
I don't know.................He could very well pick Jalen, but I think Tua is the better QB...........that's just my opinion, and it's worth probably less than 2 cents. I think he has demonstrated that he has the arm an the ability to get the ball to playmakers, and did it in a pressure cooker against UGA

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Just based on what CNS and staff were telling qb recruits, they are looking for more of a pro style qb who can go through progressions. I think scrambling ability or dual threat will be less of a luxury needed in that style of offense. One probably doesn't need to look much further than the two qb recruits who we went after, both of which are rated as pro style QBs and I think that offers clues as to the direction we are headed. Of course no starter will be named until the start of next season but given all indications of the type of offense we will have, Jalen would have to had improved greatly in that in the off season.

Last edited:

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
Tua will have to win the job but I really think it's his job to lose at this point. Jalen has struggled against elite defenses as we've all seen and he's really struggled with his passing against elite defenses. Tua can make all the throws and I think he's earned his shot. He's a talent that does not come along very often. CNS will figure it out but honestly I think one of these QB's will be transferring by this time next year. Neither came to Alabama to sit on the bench.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Just based on what CNS and staff were telling qb recruits, they are looking for more of a pro style qb who can go through progressions. I think scrambling ability or dual threat will be less of a luxury needed in that style of offense. One probably doesn't need to look much further than the two qb recruits who we went after, both of which are rated as pro style QBs and I think that offers clues as to the direction we are headed. Of course no starter will be named until the start of next season but given all indications of the type of offense we will have, Jalen would have to had improved greatly in that in the off season.
Agreed, and that's not positive for Jalen, unless he suddenly transforms from what we've seen for the past two years.

Tua will have to win the job but I really think it's his job to lose at this point. Jalen has struggled against elite defenses as we've all seen and he's really struggled with his passing against elite defenses. Tua can make all the throws and I think he's earned his shot. He's a talent that does not come along very often. CNS will figure it out but honestly I think one of these QB's will be transferring by this time next year. Neither came to Alabama to sit on the bench.

Especially with the discussions on the recruiting trail, I agree that the QB job is Tua's to lose.

If Tua isn't the starter, I think he definitely transfers.

If Tua is the starter, I think Jalen's decision depends on what he wants to do after college.

If he wants to be in the NFL, it's pretty clear it'll have to be at a position other than QB. He could redshirt, learn the new position, and get three total years of development under the best staff in the country.

If he wants to coach, he can stay as a role player at QB, and learn from the best coaching staff in the country.

If he wants to do something outside of football altogether, it gets interesting: (1) Stay and contend for championships every year, albeit as a role player, or (2) Go somewhere else, enjoy starting as a college QB for two more years, then ride off into his post-football career.

We went with 3 QB's last year with 2 of them being true freshman. So, if CNS is going to bring in a grad transfer with only one year of eligibility, I have to believe he thinks there is a strong probably that one of our current QB's will transfer.
I agree that it indicates Saban thinks there will be one fewer QB. But there are at least two ways that can happen. Transfer is one. A move by one of the QBs to another position is another.

I have exactly zero insight into the situation. But maybe he and Jalen have had "the talk," and Jalen sees his future at another position?

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Why do you think he would pick Jalen ?
Over the years CNS has shown that he values experience, leadership and perseverance from his starters, Jalen checks all the boxes on those attributes. Is this enough to overcome the obvious QB talent differential Tua has shown, I do not know? My point was not to infer that either QB was a shoe-in for the starting spot, but rather we might be wrong to assume that simply a tremendous second half performance by Tua in the NC game wins him the starting nod.

IDK how CNS will handle this, but I do believe that the likelihood of one of them transferring is pretty high and that is why Minshew or some other graduate experienced QB will be brought in as an insurance policy.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I realize that just about everyone on here has handed over the starting QB spot to Tua, but I am not so sure that is how it is going to play out. I also think it is naive to believe that neither Hurts or Tua will transfer depending on who wins the competition. Jones should be a capable spot player, but his lack of game experience could hurt us if he is the only scholarship backup. So I would not be surprised at all to see us pickup an experienced graduate QB. I am still not sold on CNS going with Tua over Hurts, we shall see.
Of course, anything could happen. But I think the genie is out of the bottle (and it ain't going back).

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Of course, anything could happen. But I think the genie is out of the bottle (and it ain't going back).
That is my thinking as well. It stretches credulity to believe that Tua could be brought into a NC game completely cold and manage such a come from behind effort to then ultimately be forced to transfer in order to play. I don't know exactly how the team and coaching staff could be cohesive if we go back to not being able to get the ball out on passing plays.

jme

BamaNation Citizen
Feb 1, 2018
I think Tua would have to lose the starting spot now Jalen could win it back but we all seen that 2nd half Tua is a special talent

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
Over the years CNS has shown that he values experience, leadership and perseverance from his starters, Jalen checks all the boxes on those attributes. Is this enough to overcome the obvious QB talent differential Tua has shown, I do not know? My point was not to infer that either QB was a shoe-in for the starting spot, but rather we might be wrong to assume that simply a tremendous second half performance by Tua in the NC game wins him the starting nod.

IDK how CNS will handle this, but I do believe that the likelihood of one of them transferring is pretty high and that is why Minshew or some other graduate experienced QB will be brought in as an insurance policy.
It's not just one second half performance. You saw the glimpses against Fresno State. You saw the magic against Vanderbilt. Tennessee. Ole Miss. Mercer. You heard the rumblings that he would light it up in practice. The only thing you didn't see was him performing at a high level under pressure. Well, we all know how they played out. I love Jalen...but I don't think he is a championship QB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I couldn't offer any credible agrument against what you're saying IF the second half of the NC game hadn't happened. BUT IT DID.

Tua had given us reasons during the year to believe he could be a better option than Jalen, but even they biggest Jalen fan can't unsee what Tua did over the course of the year and then in the NC game.

As someone else said, the genie is out of the bottle.

And why would we want to try to put her back in???

Would we want to play teams like A&M, LSU, Auburn, Clemson etc. with a QB that can't move the ball and make first downs? Remember how depressing those games felt? Remember the frustration?

Now, remember the second half of the NC game. Which did you enjoy more?

You don't have to be a football coach to make this call.

Evil Crimson Dragon

Hall of Fame
Feb 4, 2018
Marietta, GA
That is my thinking as well. It stretches credulity to believe that Tua could be brought into a NC game completely cold and manage such a come from behind effort to then ultimately be forced to transfer in order to play. I don't know exactly how the team and coaching staff could be cohesive if we go back to not being able to get the ball out on passing plays.
That would be a bad position to be in........dont think it will happen

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017
I couldn't offer any credible agrument against what you're saying IF the second half of the NC game hadn't happened. BUT IT DID.

Tua had given us reasons during the year to believe he could be a better option than Jalen, but even they biggest Jalen fan can't unsee what Tua did over the course of the year and then in the NC game.

As someone else said, the genie is out of the bottle.

And why would we want to try to put her back in???

Would we want to play teams like A&M, LSU, Auburn, Clemson etc. with a QB that can't move the ball and make first downs? Remember how depressing those games felt? Remember the frustration?

Now, remember the second half of the NC game. Which did you enjoy more?

You don't have to be a football coach to make this call.
This. All of this. Tua threw for 166 yards in the 2nd half. There were 7 games this year that Jalen did not match that. Tua threw 3 TDs in the 2nd half which is something Jalen has only done twice in 2 seasons(Miss State in '16 and Mercer this year). And a side note...Tua threw for 3 TDs in that Mercer game as well.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Unless Tua does something "tremendously unwise" (aka "stupid"), the job is his. And yes... I think bringing in a grad transfer is an insurance policy against Hurts either transferring or changing positions.

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
Unless Tua does something "tremendously unwise" (aka "stupid"), the job is his. And yes... I think bringing in a grad transfer is an insurance policy against Hurts either transferring or changing positions.
How was this ever in question? I think the world of Jalen, but it is not even close when comparing them as quarterbacks. We have tangible proof of this fact.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.