Grad Transfer Recruiting 2018

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Can we get off the subject of Tua/Jalen for now, and focus on Graduate transfers here?
It really is hard though to kind of separate them in a sense that they play in together , I think whether it's a depth issue or transfer possibility....when discussing them all of the above names and possible situations are going to come into play. It's possible that one will have a direct impact or is an influence of the other. RTR

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
They work together, so we'll keep discussing it.
Okay RTR, I'm not trying to argue with you, but I don't understand how is that they work together in term of Graduate Transfer and the current QBs on roster? Neither has announced that they were transferring? Neither has the starting job locked down? All we know is that we have a potential QB transfer that might/might not transfer to Alabama and how it can affect the roster at Alabama, but still at the same time, We are discussing the comparison of Tua and Jalen and how The job is Tua's, etc.

I'm not trying to make it difficult here.. just trying to understand this.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It really is hard though to kind of separate them in a sense that they play in together , I think whether it's a depth issue or transfer possibility....when discussing them all of the above names and possible situations are going to come into play. It's possible that one will have a direct impact or is an influence of the other. RTR
I get that.... I understand your perspective. The thing is... I don't think it really affect the depth because Saban has always wanted 4 or 5 QBs on the roster and I think Saban is trying to play it safe this year in case Tua or Hurts leave.... and Saban is planning to take 2 qbs in next year class...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Okay RTR, I'm not trying to argue with you, but I don't understand how is that they work together in term of Graduate Transfer and the current QBs on roster? Neither has announced that they were transferring? Neither has the starting job locked down? All we know is that we have a potential QB transfer that might/might not transfer to Alabama and how it can affect the roster at Alabama, but still at the same time, We are discussing the comparison of Tua and Jalen and how The job is Tua's, etc.

Because adding a QB to the mix leads to a discussion about the current QBs. It's pretty simple.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
Over the years CNS has shown that he values experience, leadership and perseverance from his starters, Jalen checks all the boxes on those attributes. Is this enough to overcome the obvious QB talent differential Tua has shown, I do not know? My point was not to infer that either QB was a shoe-in for the starting spot, but rather we might be wrong to assume that simply a tremendous second half performance by Tua in the NC game wins him the starting nod.

IDK how CNS will handle this, but I do believe that the likelihood of one of them transferring is pretty high and that is why Minshew or some other graduate experienced QB will be brought in as an insurance policy.
My take on the Jalen/Tua question is this, and it pertains to this board more so than the straight Football board. As much as we love Jalen for the kid he is and his poise under pressure, we have heard or inferred that his play at QB did negatively impact recruiting. I don't know that there any many things more important to Coach Saban in terms of building his teams than recruiting. Big time playmakers at WR and RB are not going to want to come to a team with a QB who is a one read and run QB. We had a lot of guys make big time plays in the NC game that they simply would not have been able to make with Jalen at QB. We need Tua out there allowing guys to show their skills so other playmakers will want to come show theirs too.

BamaBen15

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 3, 2017

I don't see how any graduate transfer comes here without being told that it is likely that they will at least be the backup. That makes the Tua/Jalen debate very valid to this discussion IMO.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I get that.... I understand your perspective. The thing is... I don't think it really affect the depth because Saban has always wanted 4 or 5 QBs on the roster and I think Saban is trying to play it safe this year in case Tua or Hurts leave.... and Saban is planning to take 2 qbs in next year class...
Thats just it though, as you said. The possibility of Jalen or tua leaving which is why it's hard to discuss this kid coming in without bring tua and Jalen into play. If one leaves, it's more than likely due to losing the qb battle or not being named starter,but right now we don't know if the depth issue is primarily due to a mandatory amount of desired qb numbers vs the possibility of transfer or if there could be a position change at qb....which will probably bring out fans curiosity.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
How was this ever in question? I think the world of Jalen, but it is not even close when comparing them as quarterbacks. We have tangible proof of this fact.
There's been no official word and probably won't be. The soonest we might hear that is for the A-Day game but even then it will probably not be announced.

However, there's something called the eyeball test that speaks louder than an announced depth chart or starting spot.

It's rather clear to most, at least on this board. It's hard to imagine the coaches seeing it different too, but until we see Tua or Jalen take the first snap against the Cards I guess there will be a debate.

My take on the Jalen/Tua question is this, and it pertains to this board more so than the straight Football board. As much as we love Jalen for the kid he is and his poise under pressure, we have heard or inferred that his play at QB did negatively impact recruiting. I don't know that there any many things more important to Coach Saban in terms of building his teams than recruiting. Big time playmakers at WR and RB are not going to want to come to a team with a QB who is a one read and run QB. We had a lot of guys make big time plays in the NC game that they simply would not have been able to make with Jalen at QB. We need Tua out there allowing guys to show their skills so other playmakers will want to come show theirs too.
Ross kid is poster child for this.

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
We also have to be willing to absorb the turnovers that will come with Tua, and for gosh sakes don't try to coach them out of him. Coach has to understand and trust in his defense. This offense can be dynamic like we haven't seen before, but it is going to come with a bit of a price.

rtr

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
I wonder what the staff is telling this kid to get him to transfer to Bama. He can return to east carolina and be the starter, so what is it. For example, are they telling him there is a possibility he can be #2, that if he is good enough he can be #1? If they are telling him that he can be #2, then they have to be telling him that either Jalen or Tua will probably transfer? I am sure that they are NOT telling him he can be #3 or #4 as things current stand that is what he would be. Any one have a clue?

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
I wonder what the staff is telling this kid to get him to transfer to Bama. He can return to east carolina and be the starter, so what is it. For example, are they telling him there is a possibility he can be #2, that if he is good enough he can be #1? If they are telling him that he can be #2, then they have to be telling him that either Jalen or Tua will probably transfer? I am sure that they are NOT telling him he can be #3 or #4 as things current stand that is what he would be. Any one have a clue?
There was more to the situation, he moved back home (which is close) to take care of family issues. I think he feels Bama is close by and gives him a chance to continue to play or be a part of a great program. I'm not really sure he expects to see a whole lot of playing time. If he has any desires to coach down the road, this could be a great opportunity as well on his resume.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
There was more to the situation, he moved back home (which is close) to take care of family issues. I think he feels Bama is close by and gives him a chance to continue to play or be a part of a great program. I'm not really sure he expects to see a whole lot of playing time. If he has any desires to coach down the road, this could be a great opportunity as well on his resume.
Maybe he cam move to slot receiver if Jalen doesn't pan out there.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
This. The kid probably knows he's not going pro. Being at Alabama gives him exposure to a top tier program, a chance to get a few rings, and working relationships with some of the most influential coaches in the business. It's almost like a graduate assistant who is still playing. Not to mention free graduate school...

MikeD

Suspended
Feb 24, 2007
This. The kid probably knows he's not going pro. Being at Alabama gives him exposure to a top tier program, a chance to get a few rings, and working relationships with some of the most influential coaches in the business. It's almost like a graduate assistant who is still playing. Not to mention free graduate school...
I think it’s simple. Having an experienced qb to back up Tua allows Jalen to change positions this spring.

UAllday

3rd Team
Jan 17, 2018
Ross kid is poster child for this.[/QUOTE said:
In all fairness Kelly Bryant wasnt exactly setting the world on fire with his arm this season. Probably more to him going to Clemson than what you are insinuating.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
In all fairness Kelly Bryant wasnt exactly setting the world on fire with his arm this season. Probably more to him going to Clemson than what you are insinuating.
They built a relationship with him despite the QB play and we didn't until the last month of his recruitment. Give Dabo the credit where it is due.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Man, we are just in February? What an off season this is going to be :rolleyes:

Hey, I got one for ya...what if Minshew wins the starting position outright?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.